1st time driving my Z

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Amazing.

So Battery was flat as its just been sat in the garage collecting dust, popped the terminals off (think the lugs are made of lead as it was soft) took it in the house and trickle charged it overnight.

Tested the battery in the morning and it was showing a full charge, popped it in place, put it all back together and everything was fine.

Took a while for the ignition to start (guess this is what is known as a cold start) 5th attempt and the engine started. Throttle was sticking a bit, so I put some grease on the mechanism whilst the engine was off. Gave it a chance to lubricate a bit and started the car back up. Started first time no problems.

Went out for a short drive to a couple friends as, my confidence wasn't high enough to go for a longer journey. Got to a small round about and forgot there's no power steering! So glad no other motorist was near, felt like I was turning a boat haha.

Got to a T-junction and as I went to go, it wheel spinned as I went left. Think that's more to do with the road than the car to be fair. Brought a smile to my face none the less.

Brakes are really spongy, I think it could be due to the age of the vehicle, perhaps it needs a better set-up. I plan to overhaul the brakes at a later date anyhow, along with the rest of it. Suspension is tired, as SacCyclone says, it's in need of a rebuild. Unfortunately there are a lot of speed bumps everywhere where I live. :(

Went and filled up with petrol and got up to 50 on the duel carriageway. Was magnificent, engine noise was beautiful, don't need a radio with that orchestra playing.

It made me giggle as I found the aerial switch, that's a cool feature. No idea what the latch next to the bonnet release latch is? It's round and black?
Also, I think the choke lever does nothing (someone installed it wrong and, like a saw, has cut through the duct for the heating system!).

I think next I am going to try to research what engine I've got, etc. Bit of a mystery as it is a 2.8litre, with round top su's (marked 'e88 japan') and I don't know where to start or what to look for to identify it without taking it all apart.

Guess that's the fun of it, all a mystery until its in pieces on the garage floor lol

Martin

uk66fastback

Club Member
Glad you enjoyed the trip. What are the tyres like? If the brakes are bad, I'd overhaul them NOW, don't put it off. At least change the fluid.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Glad you enjoyed the trip. What are the tyres like? If the brakes are bad, I'd overhaul them NOW, don't put it off. At least change the fluid.
Well, I'll have a look when I get the chance. I'm pretty sure the tires are OK, the brakes have had a fluid change, been bled etc, new brake booster. Just a mystery for the moment. I don't intend to risk the car with spongy brakes.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Well, I'll have a look when I get the chance. I'm pretty sure the tires are OK, the brakes have had a fluid change, been bled etc, new brake booster. Just a mystery for the moment. I don't intend to risk the car with spongy brakes.
If they're spongy, there's something wrong. Standard brakes should feel firm and lock the wheels up easy enough.
Maybe need bleeding again, or one of those flexy hoses in inflating.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
If they're spongy, there's something wrong. Standard brakes should feel firm and lock the wheels up easy enough.
Maybe need bleeding again, or one of those flexy hoses in inflating.
Cheers, I'll do some reading and see if I can get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the info

Pondo

Club Member
I think that’s the vent for your feet and should have a knob on each side. Glad you got it out for a drive.....you should get your garage emptied out now so you can get it home and spend each night popping in to check on it.

Robbie J

Club Member
my master brake cylinder is the reason for my bad brakes, it would look the odd wheel but otherwise was very spongy

MCBladeRun

Club Member
I think that’s the vent for your feet and should have a knob on each side. Glad you got it out for a drive.....you should get your garage emptied out now so you can get it home and spend each night popping in to check on it.
I'd love to do that, but I think I'll be emptying the garage for another reason; going to be selling the house sooner than I thought.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Happy to hear you have it on the road Martin and can start to enjoy it. Bleed those brakes again. Looking back at the pics I took it looks like there is a choke cable in the box inside the car...maybe be why the choke does not operate if I remember correctly. Little shot of starting fluid after it has been sitting a while usually will allow it to fire more quickly.
Any pics with the new parts added it was shipped with???
Mike

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Happy to hear you have it on the road Martin and can start to enjoy it. Bleed those brakes again. Looking back at the pics I took it looks like there is a choke cable in the box inside the car...maybe be why the choke does not operate if I remember correctly. Little shot of starting fluid after it has been sitting a while usually will allow it to fire more quickly.
Any pics with the new parts added it was shipped with???
Mike
Yeah I remember there being a choke cable in the box you shipped with it. I'll bleed the brakes as you suggest and see if that improves it.
No, I've literally done nothing except get it registered and insured. I plan to gather information, guides and parts together and then I'll start a build thread.