1978 Z for sale Ireland

richiep

Club Member
Yeah, it was discussed a bit in a recent thread. It was imported from Japan for an Irish buyer by Newera Imports several years ago. I like it a lot personally, although it needs some detail fettling in a variety of areas.

Notably, although it has the overfenders, the arches have not been cut behind them, hence the rather jacked up stance. IMO you kind of need to commit - either remove the overfenders, or chop the arches and get the stance right!

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Certainly would be worth looking at, the market in Eire is still a bit depressed and I'm sure there is a bit of a deal to be had on the price. There are no issues with bringing this back to GB, just make sure you get the Irish tax book with it to get it UK registered.

richiep

Club Member
Here's the original Newera ad in their archive:
http://www.neweraimports.com/soldcarDetails.jsp?carId=374
There's an extensive gallery there.

It's a rare car in this part of the world, being a late Nissan S31 Fairlady Z, and it has the JDM retro-mod thing down with the Watanabes, overfenders, non-vented front air-dam, and a 3.0L stroker. Still needs some "finessing" IMO though.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yeh, could make a great car. Just read the original advert Rich and they reckon the heat shield is to deflect dust, the shorter trumpets help torque and seats with Bride logos would look good.

With the arches/wheels/ride-height issue it's 'telling' me that it's been build by someone who is after a 'look' above all else.

However it does look good but could be an even better looker.

May have an LSD? - why do people say things like that. Has it or hasn't it? Sounds like a V8 - really?

Last edited by a moderator:

richiep

Club Member
The original ad isn't particularly great is it? It does reflect a case of not really knowing what they imported (e.g. calling it a "Datsun" Fairlady Z for a start). TBH, I skimmed the text because most of it makes me cringe. The extensive gallery is the useful bit.

At least with the ride height, given it is fitted with height adjustable coilovers, it can be sorted relatively easily - if one is willing to commit to cutting the arches.

I don't have that level of money up front at the moment as I'm working more on a progressive project basis (and things like family holidays keep getting in the way!!!), but if I did, I'd probably go have a look.

With hindsight I should've bought that 75 Fairlady Z project car a while back (the red one with the ****** G nose on it). I would've done something like this blue car with that. In fact, you can expect my next project to probably end up that way, even if it started life as a LHD US car. Depends on what comes my way really.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
....With hindsight I should've bought that 75 Fairlady Z project car a while back (the red one with the ****** G nose on it)......

That one from the place where franky bought his car? Someone on here bought that one - brave chap!

richiep

Club Member
Yep. It was scruffy as hell but the fundamentals of the shell were very decent due to its dry state life. It had the attraction of being a genuine JDM car to me, although I was fixated on the idea of a pre-73 car (not so much now).

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I like the look of the car and the blue paint is a very good colour for a Zed.if I had the money I would be very tempted as I love a bit of JDM

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Yeh, could make a great car. Just read the original advert Rich and they reckon the heat shield is to deflect dust, the shorter trumpets help torque and seats with Bride logos would look good.

Sadly misguided .......if you want to improve torque then the inlet tract needs lengthening, ie longer trumpets

johnymd

Club Member
With reference to the red G-nose car, that always looked like a great buy, needing little work to make a superb car. You needed to be able to look past the bad "first impression" pictures and see what a great base you had. I was amazed it wasn't snapped up. Shame I wasn't in a position to buy just then.

This one will never look right until you put it apart and either remove the arches or cut the metal back. Either way it a repaint.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Hmm, having read all that, Gaz better get the thread title sorted before the owner and the Count come along and enlighten him ;)

But seriously, that was an interesting read, and I see it was even discussed on here back in 2009. Alan, I can only congratulate you on your continuing quest to educate and inform on the history of our Zs.

So in effect, this Irish car is a bit out of the norm, but in an interesting way, and being a JDM and Eire car it will never have seen road salt, now that's got to be a bonus.

Gaz 300

Well-Known Forum User
Hmm, having read all that, Gaz better get the thread title sorted before the owner and the Count come along and enlighten him ;)

But seriously, that was an interesting read, and I see it was even discussed on here back in 2009. Alan, I can only congratulate you on your continuing quest to educate and inform on the history of our Zs.

So in effect, this Irish car is a bit out of the norm, but in an interesting way, and being a JDM and Eire car it will never have seen road salt, now that's got to be a bonus.

I Purposely did not put 240/260 or any other name on the title just "Z" as I was not sure which one it was. Is the date (1978) right? :)

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Gary

You were spot on, my wrong.

Anyway, it is an interesting car and one well worth drawing to our attention.