1978 260z 2+2

Onlyady

Active Forum User
Hi finally collected my z last Thursday and thought I better crack on or I will never start. I was hoping I could get away with some cutting and plating but that soon came to an end and the decision has been made to have the main body blasted so I know what we are dealing with so it came on the ramp today and I made a start. It's not going to be sympathetic it's going to be how I want it low and wide all show and not much go (for now).
I can't seem to upload photos using my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 66

johnymd

Club Member
I think with iPhones/iPads you can only upload one image per post. I find it a bit of a pain too.

Onlyady

Active Forum User
Will update as soon as back. The panels have all been stripped to bear metal and repaired where needed so if that's any indication of the rest should be ok.

Onlyady

Active Forum User
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410883828.110134.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410883857.957797.jpg

A few of the panels stripped and repaired had some serious amounts of filler to get out in places where dents hadn't been fixed. Deleted front indicator and all badge holes so it's smoother.

Also decided we are going to do a rear cage as not having seats any longer.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Mmmm quite a lot of work there Adrian to get the shell rust-free. In many places there are lots of small holes which makes me wonder how good the metal is around them?

The rust in the side window/roof area is awkward too.

The inner wings and chassis legs are surprisingly free of rust :confused:

Onlyady

Active Forum User
It's going to be a fairly big job but using z car arches so that's 2 areas dealt with straight away. Some of the previous plates have started to rust so it's going to have to be cut right back. Worth it in the end.

spitdigger

Club Member
Ady,

I have a roof skin that may be suitable for making a repair section from. It's got a sunroof hole - hence why I changed it - but was reasonably sound otherwise and it's free to a good home. Going by what mine was like under the skin, you may well have some serious rust under there too.

Jeff

Onlyady

Active Forum User
That could be great I wil have a word with my mate see if he thinks it will be easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

datty240Z

Well-Known Forum User
Brings back memories of my 2+2 when I restored it back in'94. Persevere and just concentrate on one area at a time and it will def be worthwhile. I was lucky enough to get quite a few parts really cheap just when Datsun UK were in their last throws and selling off all their parts. Good luck!