1974 260z with electric and mechanical pump

Josh Slade

Club Member
Hi All,

I have purchased an American 260z, it has both a mechanical and electrical fuel pump, but it seems the electric pump is blocked/broken, i've seen some people say that the mechanical pump was only installed in hot countries to prevent vapour lock, and is not 100% necessary. Could anyone share anymore insight on this? Would I be okay to just removed it and use only the mechanical pump on the engine?

Thanks!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Lots of uk cars came without electric pumps.
I think 260z and 2+2 had electric pumps in later years, but I don't know when they started fitting them to UK cars.

toopy

Club Member
I expect it would run with just the mechanical pump, however, if the car has stood for a while/years!, I wouldn't attempt to run it without first clearing/replacing the fuel lines, or perhaps try to run it straight from a container of fuel directly feeding the mech pump.
If the pump is toast or leaks, genuine ones are very expensive and repro's are questionable quality, might be better to replace the electric pump and delete the mechanical.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I have a late Uk 260z with mech pump only so can confirm they’re ok without an electric. Whether the spec is slightly different on the mech pump I wouldn’t know. The pump wiring is present and tied back at the tank tho. There’s another set of wires back there that share the same colour as the pump positive, poss fuel pressure or inertia switch??

I would have thought that a facet pump would be ok if u we’re still keen to keep an electric pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk