1973 stock radio (works!) just how do you hook it up?

73dattoDD

Forum User
The stereo is in the car now. the green light turns on. how do you even hook up speakers to this alien like stero lol. :lol:and my antenna supposedly works too. that'd be nice to see that little thing extend its heart out. i know that these stereos are wired completley different than modern radios, i could reach mars with this thing.:rofl: who needs 4 am's

Paul Henley

Club Member
I was about to post a similar query, I'm planning on refitting an original Hitachi Radio into my 240, I've ran a pair of new speaker cables (in addition to refitting the original single pair for the original single speaker in the rear) What I hadn't considered was that the original Hitachi radio only has a single pair of wires on the output, so how do I go about wiring a pair of speakers? Do I wire them in parallel (I guess not) and what speakers should I buy? Ohmage etc. Thanks for any input
Paul

Attachments

• DSC05406.JPG
    DSC05406.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 20

Paul Henley

Club Member
Found this on the net - Seems it is possible?

To wire two speakers to the original radio, simply wire TWO 8 Ohm speakers in parallel, i.e. Positive to Positive terminals and same with the Negatives and then to the speaker wiring from the radio matching the polarity.

That's all it takes. Just don't try to use monster sub-woofer type speakers, a pair of simple plain old 5-1/4 mono speakers with small wattage will work fine.