[SOLVED] 1973 240z paint code - blue - 240zl

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hello folks,

After a year of restoration, I’m about to paint my blue 240z - 1973. I believe the original colour is 115, but my paint guy is struggling to get a good match.

I’m essentially making a replica of this car. Can anyone give me any tips on paint to use / codes?IMG_1605.jpg

Thanks, Graeme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uk66fastback

Club Member
It's so difficult to colour match cars from pics on the 'net - you never know if the colour has been tweaked slightly in PShop or something ... I'd forget 115 if he can't get a match to what you think it is (is that photo above 115?), I'd pick a colour you think is the closest you can get and get your paint guy to maybe spray a couple of variations. Only seeing the colour with your eyes in the flesh will be good enough if you're spraying the car from scratch ...

Hello folks,

After a year of restoration, I’m about to paint my blue 240z - 1973. I believe the original colour is 115, but my paint guy is struggling to get a good match.

I’m essentially making a replica of this car. Can anyone give me any tips on paint to use / codes?View attachment 32827

Thanks, Graeme

thats the only shade of blue i've seen thats ace.

toopy

Club Member
That pic of the tin of paint looks a really nice colour, but it looks nothing like the pic of the car above, as uk66fastback said, goes to show how seeing it with your own eyes is the only way to be really sure of what your getting! :)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

Are you sure your car was originally #115 (Grand Prix Blue Metallic)? I believe it was used on Export market cars in 1972, but not 1973. The 1973 Export metallic blue was #305 (Grand Prix Light Blue Metallic). They look quite different in the metal.

Wasn't the JDM Legends project Fairlady 240Z-L a custom colour?

I have the Glasurit mixing formula for #115 if it's any use?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
IMG_0054.jpg

This is the original car. Was also essentially look to get as close to this. I’m not painting the engine bay.

Oh, any formulas would be very helpful.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Two different GLASURIT range formulas for #115 'Grand Prix Blue Metallic':

Reihe 21:
378,5 g M 98/14 aluminium
511,5 g M 98/14 aluminium
738,5 g M 52 helioblau
933,5 g A 127 violett
971,5 g M 26 tiefschwarz
1000,o g M dunkelgrun

Reihe 20:
100,0 g Sikk. 705-15
330,0 g M 98/15 aluminium
480,0 g M 98/14 aluminium
730,0 g A 127 violett
935,0 g M 52 helioblau
1000,0 g M 26 tiefschwarz

Hopefully it means something to the profession...

I would say your car's original colour was more likely to be #115 than #305 from the look of it. The #305 is a fair bit lighter.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Thanks for that Albrecht.

I welcome any folks feedback on the test spray. This was Nissan Blue BV4. I worry it’s a bit too vibrant for an old car; pops a bit too much. Feedback from painter was that 115 was a bit dull.

IMG_2592.jpg
IMG_2597.jpg
IMG_2596.jpg
IMG_2595.jpg
IMG_2594.jpg

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I welcome any folks feedback on the test spray. This was Nissan Blue BV4. I worry it’s a bit too vibrant for an old car; pops a bit too much. Feedback from painter was that 115 was a bit dull.

Bit too modern on a Z for my taste, as much as it is a lovely colour... (Reminds me of Jay's car)

Glen's car which you pictured first is a JDM fairlady car in the factory colour, looks stunning I think. A bit more understated than the proposed option and very period, however that's just me.

At the end of the day its your car, paint it however you wish! :thumbs:

toopy

Club Member
I'm very much a believer in your car your choice, and colours from any era if that's your thing, that said it is a very nice colour, and on a restomod would look great, on a standard car mmmmmm maybe not so much, as you say it 'pops' a bit and is quite bright, on screen atleast! :cool:

johnymd

Club Member
My car was 115 but I didn't really like it at the time so painted it Nissan Bayside blue to match the skyline I had at the time. I still like the colour but it's not my favorite anymore. In the second picture you can see the original colour in the luggage area.

Attachments

• Brands RR shoot 1.jpg
    Brands RR shoot 1.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Cage 1.jpg
    Cage 1.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 52

uk66fastback

Club Member
I'd go for the duller one! But a shiner duller one if that makes sense. Agree with the sentiments above, looks a bit too 'modern' but that's just me. Your car, your colour. This is the single biggest decision anyone makes when rebuilding a car - the colour. I decided my Mustang would be dark red. So the painter then gave me a book of dark reds from each manufacturer ... the fun began ...

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
@johnymd

Hi. Which year was your car? Looks the same original colour as mine.

I’ve concluded the test spray is just too vibrant, so am now searching for an alternative. I quite like the Nissan Bayside blue.

If you were to choose now, any idea what you’d go for?

I’m also open to any other thoughts on paint chips / codes.