1973 240 instrument lights

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
One of the small dial instrument lights has failed, how do I get access to replace it?

Would like to may be take the opportunity to upgrade all the dial lights, so is there any other techniques needed to get to all the instruments?

Cheers

Mike

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Mike, it's a right fiddle! You have to lye on your back, head by pedals and do your best. The bulb holders are not a tight fit and one may have just fallen out. A dentist mirror is useful too.

Good luck.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers Rob, I suspected that would be the answer, but hoped our friends from the East had some cunning way of making things easy :)

Cheers

Mike

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
If it's one of the dials in the centre of the dash then you need to remove the heater panel, then reach up to behind the dials. Depending on which bulb it is you might be able to change it without completely removing the dial

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
MikeB,
If you don't know already these (OEM) bulbs are quite specific, ask Mr F for the correct ones.. to remove the small instrument gauges, is very easy to do...

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Tried taking out the heater panel, undid the 4 screws, but it still felt attached on the right hand side beside the heater sliding arms. Is there a trick to get it out. There is a radio fitted, does it have to come out first?

Cheers

Mike

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
I tried that too, only comes out so far then is held by the heater control cables which you can't get to, even when the radio is removed. Gave up

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Perhaps Tim's method of removing the glovebox liner is the way to do it; when I changed my bulbs removing the heater panel was a piece of cake, but then saying that the 240z panel looks a hell of a lot more difficult to dismantle than that of a 260z

zbloke

Club Member
I tried that too, only comes out so far then is held by the heater control cables which you can't get to, even when the radio is removed. Gave up

Disconnect the heater control cables at the heater blower, heater valve and where ever the other one attaches, unplug the fan speed switch from the harness then the heater control panel will come out