1972 LHD 240Z Rear Suspension - help please!

Tony 260Z

Club Member
All, I'm in confusion about a problem with the rear suspension on my import '72 240.

Does anyone have the measurement specs for the rear suspension legs? Diagrams are easy enough to find but they don't have measurements on.

I need to know the distance from the bottom of the suspension leg to the top or bottom of the lower spring cup.

Going by the numbers stamped on the legs (and remembering that this is a LHD car) it looks as if the drivers side leg is for a 240 but the passenger side is probably 260Z. I'm told that the lower spring cup on a 260 is about half an inch lower than that on the 240, and that would explain why the car was "softer" on that side and the tyre was hitting the arch when going on and off my drive (up/down a kerb). BUT, having taken the passenger side - supposedly 260 - leg off the car and then measuring it against the one on the drivers side I can't find any difference. Oh ****.

Any ideas? Does the shock insert mount differently inside a 260 leg versus a 240? Would that make any difference even if it did? I didn't think the shock absorber played a part in deciding ride height.

I'll go find the numbers stamped on the legs and post them up, but if the problem isn't being caused by a lower spring mount on one side making the car softer on that side, what else would do it?

The car doesn't have a rear anti-roll bar (yet). Would that make that much difference?

Grabbing at straws here!

tel240z

Club Member
when you post the numbers up Tony i shall have a look at the couple of us imports in the shop and if i remember will have a measure

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Tony, does it sit lower on the passenger side or is it just softer?
There are a couple of different height top mounts which could account for a difference in height,
The compression rod bushes provide some resistance to wheel movement so worn or loose bushes could account for softness.
Failing that... Knackered springs?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If there is no difference in the legs it might be the springs as Jon said.
Check the coils as one might be broken or failing that remove both legs and sit side by side to check.

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Springs (and I think inserts too) are brand new, and neither broken, so I guess one spring could just be "soft" and maybe the wrong top mount. One leg (the iffy side) is already off so I guess it's time to take the other one off too!