1972 Fairlady Z for sale in USA

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I agree, don't understand the photos of the other one - one of the pictures it looks like a blue car from the underside shot..!
I would love to know what he wants for that car you have posted, we be a great car for someone over here.

SacCyclone

Club Member
I would think the blue car is asking double the price of the orange car....anytime you mention 432 the price is going to be up there I think.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
432 there is as Samuri here ?:rolleyes:

I don't think that this car will leave the States - there is more and more interest in owning RHD Zs over there.

Someone quoted $30k - I reckon it could go for much, much more.

What someone does with it afterwards, keep as stock (hopefully) or replique a 432....who knows !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'll admit that a Samuri (can you never spell it right ?) over there will have little market interest such as a Scarab might not in the UK.

But do you believe that there is more market interest here for an L20A* engined Z than in the States ?

Here it'll be seen as a 'poor-man's- 240Z' for that is what the UK market will perceive it as - sadly !

I'll admit that a Samuri (can you never spell it right ?) over there will have little market interest such as a Scarab might not in the UK.

But do you believe that there is more market interest here for an L20A* engined Z than in the States ?

Here it'll be seen as a 'poor-man's- 240Z' for that is what the UK market will perceive it as - sadly !

I actually like some of the original Scarab cars, shame they lost the L6 though.

I don't think it'd ever been seen as a 'poor mans 240z'. Far from it. I'd happily exchange my car for it.

Its a proper factory model, of which there's not many of in the UK. Its RHD which to some is less likely to cause a nuclear explosion when used on the roads, that also has a value. its not a left to right swap either.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The whole attraction of Scarabs is that they're V8s !

I don't think that nor do several here but many will - why then do people throw L28s into them - people want power !

They're all factory models.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Its a proper factory model, of which there's not many of in the UK. Its RHD which to some is less likely to cause a nuclear explosion when used on the roads, that also has a value. its not a left to right swap either.

Well said.

The vendor hasn't really given us much to go on at this point, but from what I can see it is an early to mid 1972 production dated 'S30-S' model 'Fairlady Z', known as the 'Standard'/'Std' model and the entry-level, lowest price version available in Japan alongside six other Z variants for the 1972 sales year. Quite a rare survivor. By 1972 most Japanese buyers were attracted to the L24-engined models (Fairlady 240Z, Fairlady 240Z-L and Fairlady 240ZG) or the Deluxe version of the two L20A-engined models (Fairlady Z and Fairlady Z-L).

This one seems to have gained a couple of upgrades during its life. It is wearing the hubcaps from the contemporary Fairlady 240Z-L and Fairlady 240ZG models (which are the same as those seen on the contemporary Export models) but it would have left the factory with plain satin black steel wheels and no hubcaps. It might have sat in a Japanese showroom next to a Fairlady Z-L model which left the factory with the earlier style Japanese market hubcaps, in order to distinguish it from the L24-engined models. In any case, there was a long list of extra-cost showroom options for Japanese market buyers to choose from. The 'Standard' models are interesting for their basic, utilitarian nature.

Looks like it will probably sell quite quickly now. As an original RHD car in good condition it would have been a good candidate for a UK-based buyer who didn't want to go for an LHD car, but there's a small following for Japanese market cars in the USA now and there are people who are actively seeking out the 'G.I. Brides'.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes a lovely car. Can you imagine importing it and opening the container to discover dents and smashed glass etc

My old 240Z and especially that 15k miles 260Z at the auction were very original and both rust-free RHD cars.

People are appreciating 'unmolested cars' now - not many left.

All Zs have their place and there is such diversity.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The 'Standard' models are interesting for their basic, utilitarian nature......there's a small following for Japanese market cars in the USA now and there are people who are actively seeking out the 'G.I. Brides'.

I beleive that the small following is growing quickly as people are looking to be 'different' and have perhaps (to be confirmed Alan) accepted that a RHD Z is in it's purest form, how 'God' and not Mr K intended.

This being the basic model albeit with a couple of 'L' upgrades will be more than interesting - it should be up there with 432s and ZGs for rarity if not quite their value.

Wasted on the UK market which is wide arches and triple carbs.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Perhaps an interesting angle; Discussing such things with a couple of friends in Japan a while back, we concluded that such a car (in this case, a 1972 Fairlady Z 'Standard' in good condition) would quite possibly be worth double if it were a 1969 or 1970 production-dated example.

Nothing wrong with the vented quarter/solid tailgate cars, but people are generally paying a lot more for the solid quarter/vented tailgate cars...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Perhaps an interesting angle; Discussing such things with a couple of friends in Japan a while back, we concluded that such a car (in this case, a 1972 Fairlady Z 'Standard' in good condition) would quite possibly be worth double if it were a 1969 or 1970 production-dated example.

Not a difficult conclusion to arrive at watching the hysteria within the USA market for the ......"series 1" model:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with the vented quarter/solid tailgate cars, but people are generally paying a lot more for the solid quarter/vented tailgate cars...

Better to have vented quarters - Nissan changed it for good reasons no doubt.

Not a difficult conclusion to arrive at watching the hysteria within the USA market for the ......"series 1" model:rolleyes:

Better to have vented quarters - Nissan changed it for good reasons no doubt.

As a huge fan you'll know why they changed;)

The americans love the early cars, like most do as there's just not as many of them. Same for any car/any make.

Once you go down the list of production numbers, you'll end up at the point that there(arguments sake) 20,000 early cars, compared to how many after? Yes later cars did come with some improvements and redesigns, they also came away with lower compression as standard and bit more weight.

Its all about numbers though, the less there is of something that is already desirable, the more desirable it becomes.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I've sent an email but had no reply.

Probably had a flood of enquiries over the last 24hrs, and a virtual bidding war will ensue.

Probably a lot of low-ballers, but whoever gives him the best offer and is ready to come to view, pay and collect will get priority.

He's had at least one suggestion to put it on Bring-A-Trailer, and that might well net him the best coverage and the best offer.