1972 DATSUN 240Z CALI PROJECT RUST REPAIR (NOW SOLD)

SacCyclone

Club Member
So I have had no takers on my 72 240z project car in need of rust repair, I have decided to have the repair work done here in the states since I have access to repair panels and a mate with many years of experience in rust and panel repair.

Wanted to start a thread to document the repairs so others with the same issues can see how we did it. As it turns out, the rust in the rear end of the car was not as extensive as we thought it was and we happened to have a repair panel that will do the trick.

I will try to document the repairs with pics as we go along so I hope it helps others understand the process.

A few pics of the car to start:

HA3bL1b.jpg

ACpQbyr.jpg

OEVAtbW.jpg

lNxh1RI.jpg

SacCyclone

Club Member
Removed tail lights, rear light surrounds, license plate light and rear bumper to see how bad it all is. Looks like the tail light panel itself is pretty solid, the hatch slam panel is toast, the rear deck floor is nice and the rear valance is pretty good....after removing some filler I found a few places that the rust holes blew through but these are minimal and will be cut out and new metal welded in. Happy to see the hatch floor and rear quarters are in good nick and the hatch rain channel is solid just up from the hatch landing so we have something solid to weld new metal to.

mSt0XeN.jpg

Thp6Sx8.jpg

IGBCad2.jpg

KFJLpSC.jpg

0Ql3YrC.jpg

The replacement panel we will use:

KIavlGL.jpg

More sanding and metal cutting to start, stay tuned.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Well that was fast, my project rust repair has come to a full and complete stop.
A fine chap from the forum put his friend and myself together and the car has been sold.
This Zed will be coming across the pond for restoration and repair....hope to follow a new thread posting when the owner takes possession.
Cheers!