10k for LHD to RHD conversion?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
...especially as a RHD conversion in the UK can cost £10k (somehow!).

This keeps being brought up as though it's about ten times more expensive than it should be, or something. Why?

What did the quote include? What was factored in, and what was left out? Why does it evoke so much apparent indignation? 2k alone would be going to the VAT man.

Professional, legitimate businesses employing staff have to charge or they don't survive. It's as simple as that.

And NISMO's prices for this new service (although they've been building customer cars for years) are roughly in line with what Honda and Mazda have been charging for their own - similar - old car refurb programs lately. By their very nature, these programs are not aimed at the average man in the street. They are low volume, premium services aimed at a niche market.

uk66fastback

Club Member
We don't know if it was with VAT or not. It was a figure mentioned on here for the work - I personally, think it is too much ... we don't know what the quote included - so who are you to say it is too much or not (who am I either!).

I keep bringing it up as I find it amusing and a yardstick. It only evokes apparent indignation with me, it seems. You seem to think it is fine by the looks of it - and you don't know what it includes, so stop arguing for the sake of it.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
We don't know if it was with VAT or not. It was a figure mentioned on here for the work - I personally, think it is too much ... we don't know what the quote included - so who are you to say it is too much or not (who am I either!).

It was quoted as being a 'quote' from Fourways Engineering. And a bill of 10k from Fourways will include VAT at 20%, so I think it is perfectly fair to point out that 20% of the bill will be VAT.

If anyone thinks it is "too much" then they can take their car elsewhere, can't they? Just like I did when my local AUDI dealer quoted me over six hundred quid to change the rear wiper motor on my daily smoker.

I keep bringing it up as I find it amusing and a yardstick. It only evokes apparent indignation with me, it seems. You seem to think it is fine by the looks of it - and you don't know what it includes, so stop arguing for the sake of it.

I've got a pretty good idea what a full drive-in and drive-out conversion from LHD to RHD involves, so I think I'm justified in pointing out that 10k would be very reasonable for such a job, all things considered. And I'm not "arguing for the sake of it", I'm putting forward an alternative - informed - opinion for the principle of it.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Good for you! This thread is not about one line I said ...

I still think it's a lot of money for the amount of work involved and I too, have experience of this kind of work and what is involved. Perhaps we can agree to differ on it? (it is allowed, you know).

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
There’s already a precedent been set for this sort of thing. It started with Jaguar finishing a run of D types that never got built. Can’t remember what they did next but they went onto Series 1 Landrovers with a bespoke restoration process. Then they moved onto Series 1 RangeRovers, same thing. Nissan are only doing what others have already done with the same sort of rich mans collector price tag.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I still think it's a lot of money for the amount of work involved and I too, have experience of this kind of work and what is involved. Perhaps we can agree to differ on it? (it is allowed, you know).

Apparently off-topic, I'd also have to agree to disagree.......with Alan on an invoice quoting £8k w/out sales tax to change driving sides but I will agree with him that one can always vote with your feet.

The Nismo cars, whatever their superiority in term of driving experience compared to S30s does make MZR cars look inexpensive though. I seriously doubt that anyone speending +$400k on a Skyline is going to drive like they stole it which is where the most fun is......but then, how many MZRs are seen on the roads ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Apparently off-topic, I'd also have to agree to disagree.......with Alan on an invoice quoting £8k w/out sales tax to change driving sides but I will agree with him that one can always vote with your feet.

OK then, lets hear *your* quote for a full drive-in-drive-out LHD to RHD conversion for a 1969 through 1973 car (as a good example) at commercial rates. Itemise it too, if you can. There's a pretty long list of parts required if you do it right. No cheating. No 'RHD conversion kit I just happened to find down the back of the sofa'.

Given that a good pre-August '73 RHD dash alone is going to cost you the best part of a Bag O' Sand, and that paintwork is involved, I'm all ears.

Don't forget the overheads, including HMRC too.

Go on...

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Even just for the skilled labour there must be between 50 and 100 hrs in it.

Well I’d just send one to China, forgive the odd bit of dodgy welding or build quality, get them back over ere, big artic truck full and call it a Frankenstein conversion.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
OK then, lets hear *your* quote for a full drive-in-drive-out LHD to RHD conversion for a 1969 through 1973 car (as a good example) at commercial rates. Itemise it too, if you can. There's a pretty long list of parts required if you do it right. No cheating. No 'RHD conversion kit I just happened to find down the back of the sofa'.

Given that a good pre-August '73 RHD dash alone is going to cost you the best part of a Bag O' Sand, and that paintwork is involved, I'm all ears.

Don't forget the overheads, including HMRC too.

Go on...

Just advise me how much profit margin to add in please - no-one works to cost price alone.

Just advise me how much profit margin to add in please - no-one works to cost price alone.

depends on your cost base.

as a rule of thumb, an employee costs 23.5% more than you pay them if you run it properly.

overheads totally depend on whether you’re in an old shed(£800 a month) or a business unit(30kpa).

add on a mark up on consumables(20%)

what would you say is profit?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

So that wasn't part of your "agree to disagree" appraisal of the '10k' quote then? And you want *me* to tell *you* a vital component of the costings...?

Top award from the Better Business Bureau coming your way soon.

[insert laughing FFS emoji here]