100 most beautiful cars ever made- Autocar magazine

datsfun

Club Member
https://www.autocar.co.uk/magazine

Spent a brief 30 seconds flicking through the magazine at local Tesco and as expected, not a single Japanese car features in the top 100 most beautiful cars ever made:rolleyes:

Unsurprisingly the E type was ranked #1

Are Japanese designs that bad ? :unsure:

uk66fastback

Club Member
That's very poor to not get ONE car in the top 100 (in Autocar's view) ...

Wouldn't disagree with the E-type decision but what others were in the top 10-20 that you can remember?

Daft to think that was designed pre-computer in the late 50s etc. People think cars of that era looked like a Standard Vanguard ...

Don't tell me the Nissan Juke is no. 83 or something. Or that other monstrosity - the Kia Sportage.

bluejon

Club Member
Well I will dispute the e-type as #1 because I don't like it ;) To me it is a lumpy bulbous design that is not well resolved. And I seriously dislike the wheels hidden underneath the big body overhangs. It looks like a jelly coming off a plate ... compared to some other period classic cars it is like the Ford Sierra was to the 1980s (remember that being commonly referred to as a jelly mould). that's my rant for today

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Well I will dispute the e-type as #1 because I don't like it ;) To me it is a lumpy bulbous design that is not well resolved. And I seriously dislike the wheels hidden underneath the big body overhangs. It looks like a jelly coming off a plate ... compared to some other period classic cars it is like the Ford Sierra was to the 1980s (remember that being commonly referred to as a jelly mould). that's my rant for today

I agree, unmodified, the e type looks all out of proportion. The convertible is OK but the one with a roof is quite ugly.

johnymd

Club Member
I think a lot of people, including me, are in agreement about the e-type. I do like modified one's and especially the one's modded for racing but I've never been a lover of the standard look.

datsfun

Club Member
But we seem to be missing the point.!

Don't care if E-type is ranked #1, however the fact that not a single Japanese design made it into the top 100 is the "white elephant in the room "!

bluejon

Club Member
I used to have a yellow Commer van and every time I see a standard e-type memories keep flooding back
:rofl::smash: Love it. I'm reminiscing now about a family holiday we had when I was wee, in a Commer campervan. My brother and I slept above the cab. I never thought of it as an e-type, but you've got a point Steve ! :thumbs:

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Gotta remember the etype launched in 61 and was pretty incredible in those days,like nothing else ever seen before

As a nipper I liked the Series 3 with the wider wheels and the flared arches but now I'm old I love the under-tyred over-bodied look. Sensational car especially as a coupe, the definitive etype silhouette.

A great car to drive too even by todays standards and against a DB5 which was very much like a tractor

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Saw one last week making an complete **** of it trying to change lanes at an intersection in Edinburgh ended up in the chevrons with nowhere to go, to be fair that was the drivers fault not the car. it was however not a pretty car I had never appreciated how rounded and horrible the bodywork was, it's not aged well.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
It's only an opinion.... ;)

There's loads of journalists who have no concept of the Japanese offerings and given the the low number in the UK its hardly surprising that they get easily forgotten. I would happen to disagree with that opinion however it is only that...

On a another point how an E-type can beat the likes of a Ferrari 250 GTO SWB is beyond me personally :smash: The only E-types that do it for me are the lightweight racers.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I agree with Woody - an E-Type is more beautiful than a GTO.

But my No.1 will always be a Miura, the 2000GT merits being in there, perhaps the 240Z too but then add in all the Delahayes etc and all the moderns start sliding down the ranks !

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Agreed, never understood the fascination with the GTo, looks awkward to my mind

275GT SWB though.....now we're talking