‘Trouble’ with my lsd r200 4.6

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
What can I say; diff oil is sufficient. But ‘it’ makes noise (like a worn out U-joint) when you turn slowly. It is not going smooth. Perhaps it’s normal with LSD diffs but I did put back in the silencers so now I noticed.
I checked my u-joints for ‘play’, but can’t discover anything. What worries me is the ‘play’ between the prop shaft and diff.
How much ‘play’ is normal if you turn the prop shaft? Or must the diff follow instantly, 1on1?
How much ‘play’ is normal with a LSD when you turn one wheel opposite the other?

A worried driver..

240z

Club Member
on full lock, mine did 'chatter' when I used a heavier weight oil. I switched oil and went away, the LSD action can be tuned by the weight of oil. Does it only make the noise at full lock, or close to it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.G

Club Member
Yeah that's what I thought.... :)

Have you seen one of those nifty Propshafts that Mr.F sells, he may be able to advice you if it would help to eliminate any movement. They certainly look the business.

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
Hèhè, when I mentioned the 4.6 it was not to make you jealous. It was only to refer at the ‘power’ of the ratio. Perhaps it is relevant to the case.
About the oil; I use Castrol B373 LSD Oil. I was adjusting my Twin master so I had plenty of time to listen to my car. As far as I remember it was not only with full lock, at roundabouts it was also noticed. Not used to the noise it was a bit scary to drive with it :eek: . I don’t use the car often for 'normal' road work….:D

Can you explain the 'chatter'. what kind of ? is that? Does it refer to the worn out U-joints if you ever experienced that…

"Colourful fearsome cars were roaring in the woods again. The sight and sound of the mighty Datsun 240Z's will long be savoured"

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Do you know what the diff was originally set to (torque). Road going plate LSD's can be set as low as 45 or so Ft/lbs where as race units set to 150+

On a unit set fairly low you will get a certain amount of take up wheel to wheel as the ramp pinion pushes the unit into operation via the clutch plates, however you should only get the "normal" amount of backlash from the input shaft (prop) R180's and 200's have always been criticised for the excessive backlash however they can be re shimmed but its not a job for the faint hearted

Regarding the "chatter" this is not unusual on a diff that is set fairly hard or the oil is past its life span however plates that have become worn or burnished can do this and replacements are not cheap.

status

Well-Known Forum User
mine does the same thing,nothing to worry about,only got to be a bit carefull sometimes coming out of a corner cos all hell breaks lose if you aint carefull,nearly got nicked once because of it,didnt i Matt

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Some time ago I was considering an LSD 4.2, Albrecht did warn me that they are very noisey and have to be adjusted and maintained on a regular basis, so I went no further.

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
This last week I measured the play between the wheels. Turning one wheel around and waited when the other was coming along. Well at the widest place (street level) on the tyre it is 2cm (0.78”). :eek: Personally I think that’s pretty much. :conf2:
Today I made a couple of 10km runs for adjusting the twin master the noise ‘clung clung’ gets worse and worse. Pretty scary. I can now feel it vibrate through the car.. and I can’t remember had this before. Did one stage rally in (Daun) Germany, no ‘donuts’ what so ever, fresh oil. The preload setting is a 'street' setting.

Well I jacked it up so I will have a look :confused: and in the worsted case I have to change the diff because next weekend we have a special rally with lots of trails on a airfield plus a short hill climb…… No, nothing for you Ben….:)

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
Because I still don’t know what’s causing it I had hopes the assy shaft axel was worn out. But that too looks alright… picture is example….

well changing the diff into a 3.9 now, taking no risk at all for the last two turn-ups..

Attachments

• 1760Stub_Shaft-2-med.jpg
    1760Stub_Shaft-2-med.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 14

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Please re read my post as it may explain the play "between wheels"

SKiddell said:
you will get a certain amount of take up wheel to wheel as the ramp pinion pushes the unit into operation via the clutch plates,