£25k original 260z

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I really wish I had a spare £25k laying about!!!

67a630c31f243622b6c4376a480a4e67.jpg

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301662164054

datsfun

Club Member
That's easy. Both would be around the £15-20k mark. Why you ask? Coz they are plenty about when compared to a late 260z. :)

bluejon

Club Member
I don't yet understand this 240 v 260 handbags-at-dawn. Seems like nonsense to me ... IT IS THE SAME CAR. Manufactures have always edited their models midrange, but we don't commonly think of it as a different car. If Datsun had simply called the model, say, the Datsun Z, then whether it had a 2.6 or 2.4 plant and a few other differences it would still be the Z. As I've read, early 260s used 240 shells, and I guess there may be other crossover features among the thousands made?

Dale

Club Member
Now that's lovely.

I also like the fact they've improved the little design 'quirks' the UK cars have like the front indicators and the rear licence plate lights on the bumper.

It's not very often you see the rear bumper rubber ends too. Great looking car.

status

Well-Known Forum User
It's the nit picker brigade putting their worthless opinions which some people take seriously,your zed is worth wot someone is willing to pay,not worth taking people too seriously on here,but must say the 240z is more common than the late 260z,that 260z in the piccy is nice

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
IT IS THE SAME CAR. and a few other differences it would still be the Z.

No, it's not the same car and I'll state personally here that I have no problem with any model having had most of them.

But more importantly, outside of this anorkas' circus, the press and public perceive the 240 and 260Zs differently that THEY are those who call the prices....we just swin in the same direction.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It's the nit picker brigade
Just some details then :

Japanese rear bumper rubber protections
USA/JDM front under-bumper indicators
Aftermarket Vitaloni plastic mirrors
Halfords windscreen wipers
The early 260Zs had steel wheels and the later 240Z hubcaps

and.....?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Totally missed the mirrors !! Nice spot!

OK, lets put the anorak on and ask: there seems to be a fan surround I haven't seen before, is that an original feature or a period upgrade?
1ba4e026842d40183ae546a21c1385c9.jpg

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for your comments guys, the wipers are NOS from the States, not Halfords, I shipped the fan shroud in and sourced new US Indicators, Mike knows my car,

I have the original plastic wheel centre caps, but the ones fitted are much nicer.

Unzip your anoraks and chill a little.

Not really sure I want to sell, I wouldn't find another as standard and good as this I am sure, there have been many inquiries including a dealer who will do me a favour and take it off my hands!

Steve

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Is that badge arrangement on the rear spoiler original?
$_57.JPG

I've not seen one like that.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for your comments guys, the wipers are NOS from the States, not Halfords, I shipped the fan shroud in and sourced new US Indicators, Mike knows my car,

I have the original plastic wheel centre caps, but the ones fitted are much nicer.

Not really sure I want to sell, I wouldn't find another as standard and good as this I am sure, there have been many inquiries including a dealer who will do me a favour and take it off my hands!

Steve

I'm chilled - I simply won't accept people quoting handbags at dawn between 240Z and 260Zs and they ARE different cars.

Incidentally, even 260Z owners slag off those carbs and fit triples or 240Z SUs - how're yours ?

It's a lovely car:bow:, you're mad to sell it but if £25k is more important - it's your car, your life and your business.

It doesn't matter which is a 'better car', a 240z will always be worth more as its the first of the breed, no matter if the next version is 'better'. Didn't a 260z weigh more and make a bit less poke, feel more refined etc?

Ignoring everything, that looks like a very nice car :)

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Out of interest did none of the UK 260Zs get fuel injection? Never thought about it before, just assumed the later 260Z would have had EFI instead.

If it were mine, I wouldn't sell it right now. It's in amazing condition and prices are only going to rise further from here. In a few years you might end up kicking yourself for letting it go!

franky, I might be wrong (probably am!) but I think the US 260z was heavier because of all the safety and emissions stuff they added but the UK one was about the same as the 240z, and the L26 has more torque but is less revvy because of the longer stroke.

[edit] talking about weight, would I be right thinking it's the early 260Z that's probably about the same as the 240z as the bodyshell is practically identical with only a few minor differences? Late 260Z maybe a bit more?

Last edited by a moderator:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member

Steve

Love that fan shroud BTW. At the risk of saying what has already been said - she's in incredible condition. If I hadn't got one, I'd be knocking on your door tomorrow!! As a fellow 260 owner I'm most envious!

I believe even Datsun advertised it as the better version of the 240z :p

Either way, the market decides prices and £25k is a very worthy price tag for this particular 260 IMO.