£2000 for a rusty 2+2?

Russell

Club Member
I wonder if the roof would be useful to anyone in search of one as they seem in demand at the moment.

I know the 2+2 has a longer roof but is it mostly the same shape so you could just chop a bit off the back?

My 2+2 must be worth millions by now!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Looks fairly pricey for a 2+2.

Would be great to think they are worth this much even in the condition of this one as I have one with a fair fewer holes.

?

Question: let's assume the body was near perfect and resprayed/restored, what is the general consensus on how much a GOOD 2+2 is worth? Surely they must be the rarest of all S30 models?

Ali K

richiep

Club Member
Rare but the (harsh maybe) reality is that they are less desirable than the two seaters, with a corresponding effect on values. They lack the purity and lines of the smaller cars due to the length and roof profile.

TBH, I'm not sure what a fully restored to a high standard 2+2 would be valued at. They don't tend to come up for sale that often (maybe a sign their owners love them enough to hang on to them!) The ones that do tend to be ones that need work.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Question: let's assume the body was near perfect and resprayed/restored, what is the general consensus on how much a GOOD 2+2 is worth? Surely they must be the rarest of all S30 models?
Ali K

A maroon 2+2 sold last year for about 15k I think. It was at the NEC when we were there in 2013 and on sale for 16k.

It was nice but had the usual door alignment problem of a Z, re-trimmed in leather.

andrew muir

Club Member
I hate to say it but that 2+2 is too far gone!! its only value is in intereior parts and the engine and drivetrain etc.
As for lack of 2+2s that is a regional thing, in Australia there are far more 2+2s compared to coupes.
I know of quite a few in Melbourne.

Russell

Club Member
I saw the maroon one at the NEC and it was very nice.

I agree that the 2 seaters look a lot better when compared side by side.

That said though to the untrained eye or people that haven't seen an S30 on the road in years don't spot the difference.

I couldn't count the amount of people that have stopped and said "wow is that a 260Z?" Old and young, people that used to have one or have always wanted one and can say that never once has someone mentioned the fact that it is a 2+2.

There simply aren't enough on the road to ever compare side by side, especially if the back seats are folded down.

Farmer42

Club Member

Even more so a good RHD model as most good-uns seem to be imported from the States in LHD.

I have a 2+2 with a solid body which has had the paintwork and upholstery & carpets refurbed so I would definitely be interested in the value although I have no intention of selling. If it was worth anywhere near the one sold at the NEC I would be well happy.

I agree with Russell that there is still a "wow" factor with any S30 and even though it is a 2+2 it turns heads and people ask questions and comment. They are rare enough for people to say "what is that".

I deliberately went for a 4 seater when I bought mine cos I wanted the family to enjoy the experience as much as I do & at least I can get the kids in the back - just!. Would not change that even now I know that the 2-seaters seem to be more valuable.

toopy

Club Member
Id have to agree, it looks fit only as a donor vehicle, mine was bad but looked ok from up top,
this one looks awful on top, i wouldnt want to even think about the underside!! :eek:

Russell

Club Member
so howmanyleft.com suggests there are 20 2+2's registered which includes sorned I believe?

How has that number doubled last year and how many of these owners are active on here?

Stockdale

Club Member
The 2+2 variant was very popular in Australia and there are still very many available (usually in pretty good cosmetic shape). Not common in the UK (the 240z being most prolific) and it is certainly the most rare variant of the Z here in the UK.

Looking at the relative costs of the Lotus Elan (not suggesting that there is any real comparison with that illustrious marque) a 2+2 in equal condition seems to have a value around 2 thirds of the value of the 2 seater. Perhaps the difference may be applied to Z's? At the end of the day any car is worth nothing more or nothing less than someone is prepared to pay for it!

I suspect that value will diminish if modified to any extent.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
You know, put the élan next to a clean 2+2 z and i know which I'd prefer on looks alone any day, regardless of brand prestige.

Not to mention driving them both for 50k miles and seeing which has caused you the most grief!

Ali K

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I reckon the 2+2s are going to overtake the 2 seaters in value at some point; they're rare already and will only get rarer as the lack of replacement parts makes them harder to restore.

I really like the flip open quarter windows on the 2+2s, would have been a neat feature to have on the 2 seater!