260z Elec Power Steering

Wyn

Club Member
Electric power steering anyone? :)

I know its not everyone’s cup of tea but for some inc me it should help.
Been thinking about this for a while so at last I eventually decided to have a go at a D.I.Y install into me 260z
So far so good , I think
Basically I found me one of these Corsa B power columns and a control unit that I had brought some time back.

col1.jpg

Managed to get a used Zed column to cut up from Pete, just so I could give it a try, plus if it don’t work I can always put it back to stock lol

col2.jpg

Don't like the idea of using GM switch's n steering wheels etc so decided to pull the columns apart so I could make one out of two

So pulled both columns apart to get at the inner shafts

col3.jpg

As you can see the GM shaft has a diffo spline count anyway so decided to cut them both up lol

col4.jpg

col5.jpg

Handy as the GM shaft is hollow which was to prove a right bonus

col6.jpg

Offered up the Zed out column but the Corsa sleeve needed modding which was a simple job of grinding down a few flats

col8.jpg

Like this :)

coll1.jpg

Then time to cut the Zed outer column to suit n offered it up

col9.jpg

col111.jpg

Fits a treat :thumbs:

col1111.jpg

Time to cut down the Zed inner shaft to the req length

coll2.jpg

And offfer it up to the Corsa column

God bless, it fits a treat :eek:

coll3.jpg

n look what we have here

coll4.jpg

Ok I know its not been welded up yet or fitted, but imho its looking good to a D.I.Y effort :D

Till next time :thumbs:

Wyn

Club Member
Sorry about the pics size :D

Still enough day light to offer it up so

dol1.jpg

Pull the stock stuff apart :thumbs:

dol2.jpg

Bolt it up using the main upper bolts only atm
Should be able to bolt the lower motor body to the pedal box by the looks of it

dol4.jpg

Looks like theres enough room under there for me size 10s :)

Only thing is I will prob have to blank one heater vent as the motor covers its outlet pipe.
Still that'll be a small price if it all works out :cool:

dol3.jpg

Now the hard bit :unsure:

dol5.jpg

dol6.jpg

Doesn't show in those pics as I ran out of time, but I'm sort of half way making a hybrid lower uj, part Zed n part Corsa plus some sort of bearing setup to support the lot.

Still atleast it looks like it should fit :)

mgmidget

Forum User
Hi,

Well if it all works great move ,i,ve just recently bought a 260 and must so the steering is hard work its got 7 x 15 wheels,may capri 2,8 which has power steering made me think wow if only the Z had PS!

So good luck you seem to know what your doing you may find a few customers on the way.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm interested to see how this works out, Zed steering is really heavy at low speeds.

Especially interested to hear what the 'feel' is like on the move compared to the standard set-up.

You are a very resourceful man 900SS!

This sort of thing gives a great feeling of satisfaction doesn't it?

Keep us informed please.

Wyn

Club Member
Cheers Rob, Dave

Providing it all goes in without mods to the shell then I'll be happy :)
So far so good as it looks like I'll only need to drill two support holes in the pedal box support bar (next to the brake light switch) to act as the lower support for the column/ motor :thumbs:

Wyn

Club Member
Dave
One step ahead m8y :)

Have another look at the first pic in this thread - top left hand - silver box - blue knob = + n - feed is all it takes :thumbs:

Works a treat n is a much neater unit imo :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
And you're going to fit this onto what rack ?

My steering is progressive, electro-hydraulic...with a manual over-ride of course !

So how many more wusses are there out there that'd like this ? It aint just at low speeds that the advantage is clear, road and track use too, a lot more direct, effortless and overcomes all 'bump-steer' ! In fact, the only time you don't need it is on m-ways

bongo

Well-Known Forum User
Well, I think that it is very neat. Popular with the rally boys too, so it must work well at all speeds and IMHO rallying is the pinnacle of motorsport, where you have to overcome the most design problems to produce a truly competative car. Nice job. So, I'll be joining the 'wusses'

Wyn

Club Member
Yes can see it

What unit did you buy ?

Dave
The one above lol

Steve the pics should show as they are ?
If not dont know what to suggest

Sean will be using the stock 260z rack.
No need for a quick rack atm as this isn't going on a race or track car. But as the speed control unit is fully adjustable so setting up load should be easy :)
I think :D

Still if it ever stops raining this week it isn't going to get a look in n will be put back to stock, as I want to use it at Santa pod come Sunday

260Z TT

Club Member
You should try driving on 8x18" wheels with a 300mm steering wheel boys!
That gives you muscles... Or is that why my shoulders ache?

Wyn

Club Member
You should try driving on 8x18" wheels with a 300mm steering wheel boys!
That gives you muscles... Or is that why my shoulders ache?

Mark
Unfortunately due to a motorbike accident no matter how hard I exercise I will never have any muscle power in my right arm/ shoulder
Hence why I want this to work :thumbs:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Unfortunately due to a motorbike accident no matter how hard I exercise I will never have any muscle power in my right arm/ shoulder
Yeah right - pull the other one........:rolleyes:

Mark - I can't believe that you enjoy 'fighting' the beast like that....and then trying to drive with all that power - sounds like too much hard work ! I have a large Nardi wheel and 8x15s with 225s - I can turn the wheels on tarmac whilst stationary with my little finger.

Ok, I'm boasting but it is THE way to update a Z now ! If I could let you test drive mine - you'd all be sold.....even if I am a wuss.;)