Ebay 300 Z31 NA

Nidge74

New Forum User
I know this should probably be posted elsewhere and please feel to move it if required.

However, is anyone here watching this..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320071825307&rd=1&rd=1

I am currently Z-less and have been watching this for a while, and was unfortunately unable to raise the funds before the relist.

My funds should be sorted tomorrow and I need to know if I am up against anyone on here, as the guy"claims" he has had more interest and won't end the auction early.

Thanks guys/gals.

N

Dale

Club Member
The Z31 has never been my favourite zed, but I have to admit that one looks very nice indeed.

If it's as tidy as the descriptions says (I take it you've been to see it, being so close to you), and you can get it anywhere near the starting price, that's gotta be a bargain.

Good luck with it.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
To be honest it looks a bit of a tatty example that's been resprayed in white and then had further filling of the rear arches and more paintwork....The rust looks ready to blister through again soon!
The interior looks a bit of a mis-match from different cars too!
It's worth less than the starting price in my opinion.
The number plate's quite nice as it does match my initials though!;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nidge74

New Forum User
I have been to see it and I can't see any evidence of bubbling on any of the arches.

Perhaps I am too amateur to see the signs. Arches can be fixed anyway, my missus is a welder, so any of that is taken care of *wink*.

I like it, and I prefer the 31 to the 32 as it's before Renault got their paws in, so it is definitelt Nissan.

As long as I aint bidding against any here and I guess from the replies so far I probably aint. that's the main thing. Reckon i can get it for a grand.

Nidge74

New Forum User
JEZ300Z said:
The rust looks ready to blister through again soon!
The interior looks a bit of a mis-match from different cars too!

I'm not sure I quite see what you mean.

Can you qualify this with an explanation for your comments please?

I am fair new to the Z's and not really sure what they "should" look like interior wise, but also if you could advise with regards the rust too.

Thanks

Nidge

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
The interior has a black dash and interior panels but blue seats from another z31...not a problem, but not original either.
The rear arches look like they've been resprayed and there's signs of bubbling under the paint around the lower rear quarters...which usually means there's plenty of other rot underneath too!
Obviously I'm only going by the photos and you've seen the car in the metal.
Make sure you check underneath the boot carpet and in the wells either side, as often these areas are completely rotted through and you can see the road underneath!
The early model Z31's were made from cheap recycled steel and you very rarely see a good example now.
Good luck!

Nidge74

New Forum User
JEZ300Z said:
there's signs of bubbling under the paint around the lower rear quarters...which usually means there's plenty of other rot underneath too!

From this do you mean towards the rear of the sills, (which has seen some repairs recently based on my viewing) or behind the rear wheel?

The sills are solid, although I was only poking them with a key. there is obvious plating around the rear of the sill in front of the rear wheels, and this has been done well enough although the welds could have been done better. (more tidily)

I can see now some irregularity behind the rear wheel in this pic,
eBayISAPI.dll
but this doesn't seem to be too bad in the flesh

Any further advice before I part with my hard earned??

Much apprciated.

ta

N

EDIT *Sorry, I seem to have got the link wrong

neil300zx

Well-Known Forum User
Why not buy mine? Both the rear arches and both return sills and rear returns have been replaced, stage 3, 6 puck clutch, lightweight flywheel. the majority of the bushes have been replaced with original nissan with the exception of the 2 crossmember bushes which are poly, it has the borbet deep dish alloys with 245 on the rear and 235 on the front, auto to manual conversion its only done 76,000 miles which i have every mot since 3years old and its fitted with 100bhp of nitros, giving you approx 270 bhp, i have had the car for 4 years and it has never let me down, check out my gallery.
PS it also has a slot in the jeremy clarksons dvd hot metal

neil300zx

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry mate not going that cheap, didn't realise you were on a small budget, but if you were interested maybe we could come to some sort of deal later if you can raise more funds

Nidge74

New Forum User
Right

Thanks for the advice and tips.

I decided to get this on the basis that I have a whole car worth of spares (excl bodywork and chassis) should it be required.

Picked it up today but unfortunately the weather has been atrocious so I haven't been able to give it a proper roadtest.

First impressions are good. I've seen worse.

Car comes with MOT til 2008 and no advisories were issued at time of the MOT.

Car drives and pulls well, but does have a tendency to pull to the right slightly. There is also a heavy clunky nioise and feel when pulling off the clutch quickly, (so may be a good idea to buy the propshaft that appeared on Ebay yesterday. ?)

There is some wind noise through the drivers window aperture by the mirror mounts, but the car is dry inside(and we know how the weather has been lately) and has been stored outside.

The rear demist works, if you wait long enough, apart from two strips acros the middle of the rear screen, although I can live with that.

The windows work fine, although one of the switches in the drivers door is sunken more than it should be and also has been fitted in reverse, (ie, the two switches move in opposing directions for up and down)

There is quite a lot of play in the gear shift, even when engaged in any gear, both lateral and back and forth. This could be a dodgy linkage?

Also note that the car was re-registered in 2004 with the reg D777 JRH, and was previously known as CDZ 1444, so this is most likely imported from Ireland in 2004, which is as far back as MOT's that I currently have for it.

Anyway, thoughts, comments and opinions welcomed.

Cheers

Nidge

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
CDZ 1444 was owned by a Club Member called Colin Dixon.
Looking at some back copies of the Magazine, it came second in class at Billing in 2002 and 2003 and won in 2001, but was owned by an Andrew Smyth then.
Thought the car looked familiar...the number plate was confusing me!

Nidge74

New Forum User
JEZ300Z said:
Hi,
CDZ 1444 was owned by a Club Member called Colin Dixon.
Looking at some back copies of the Magazine, it came second in class at Billing in 2002 and 2003!

Ahh, so this is know to the club then?

Chassis number JN10HG Z31 U0020808, if anyone would like to update the member records :D

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Of course a lot can happen to a former Billing winner in the intervening years, as I had a look at a former show winning Z31 last year and it wasn't as I had remembered it in it's prime!

Nidge74

New Forum User
Is Colin Dixon still a member here?

I got an installation certificate with his name on it for the immobilizer. :)

Never mind, searched the member list and he's there, and red. :)