Differences Between Early And Late Z32

Z32dave

Well-Known Forum User
I have decided to look for a later version of the Z32 than my present 1990 model. I know I've only had it 5 minutes but I have been intoxicated by the many Z32's I've seen at JAE, club sites, AutoTrader, eBay and the web generally and have decided to get a version that has some of the add-on features that I've seen and liked. I have discovered it will be cheaper to buy another Z and sell mine rather than add these features my present Z.

Somewhere, I have seen an article or post that said many improvements were made to the Z32 at a particular point in it's production - I think it was around 1994/95. As I am going to change my Z, I might as well try to get one that includes all these improvements. SO, can anyone tell me where I saw this article/post as I have searched for it in vain for many hours today:conf2: . Failing that, can anyone detail the changes on THIS post for me so that I can ensure I buy the Z32 model I want. I might have seen it on the 300ZX.co.uk site so I will post this item on that site as well. (I know many of you (us) belong to both clubs so I apologise in advance for the duplication.)

Dave :Z31:

P.S. If anyone is interested in my present Z, or think they know the whereabouts of a Z I might like to buy, please let me know. The spec I would like is:-

ESSENTIAL - Jap import - 2+2 - N/A - Manual - 1993/94 Series III (or higher)
DESIRABLE - Silver - Viper (vented) front wings - Engine bay 'addons' (not interested in performance enhancements just appearance improvements) - 17"/18" alloys - etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Dave,
This link may prove useful as it lists the different variants over the years.http://www.300zx.org.uk/model variations (Six series of cars in total!)

I too am looking for at least a series 2 z32.... as these have the nicer velour trim and door and dashboard material as well as seatbelts on the door pillars and 3 point belts in the rear.
You also tend to find the later type horseshoe rear spoilers on these cars.
Bear in mind when you get to '94/'95 that Nissan weren't making many home market Z32's, so they tend to be rare as imports.

The basic shape of the cars didn't change over the years and so you can add different front wings and bumpers yourself, to any of the series cars.

Z32dave

Well-Known Forum User
Many thanks Jez, the link you provided is much more detailed than the article I was looking for - I didn't realise there were so many variants. I think it is the series III that I will be going for as I want the raised rear spoiler and remote locking.

I wish us both luck with our searches:)

Dave

cols_almera

Forum User
Ive got a 1995 Z32.

I found out that the later versions have a 16bit ECU opposed to an 8bit ECU. Also, I think you had the option for having an airbag from 1993 onwards. The later models also dont come with a stock boost guage, so you had to have one fitted yourself.

Z32dave

Well-Known Forum User
cols_almera said:
Ive got a 1995 Z32.

I found out that the later versions have a 16bit ECU opposed to an 8bit ECU. Also, I think you had the option for having an airbag from 1993 onwards. The later models also dont come with a stock boost guage, so you had to have one fitted yourself.

Many thanks for the info.........I want a N/A not a TT so the lack of a boost gauge wont worry me.

Dave

Legrath

Well-Known Forum User
Most of the changes are minor through the years, however they did lose the Variable valve timing in 95, in order to meet with Emission regulations. The Cams were altered to compensate power loss.

jimmer

Well-Known Forum User
Is it true the later cars are not able to take ecu re maps??.or is this a myth.

AndyP

Forum User
jimmer said:
Is it true the later cars are not able to take ecu re maps??.or is this a myth.

That is true, although you can just install an ECU from an earlier car.