Quaife ATB question for those that have one

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Fit the circlip to the stub axle, push it into the sleeve, engage the splines then give it a good smack with a soft (copper) hammer.

Mr.G

Club Member
Fit the circlip to the stub axle, push it into the sleeve, engage the splines then give it a good smack with a soft (copper) hammer.

Nigel, I wish that was the way. I tried it and the diameter of the stub axle fitted with the ring is a couple mm wider then the bore it needs to pass through and there is no further "give" in the ring when it's on the stub axle.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
The ring needs to sit in the internal groove first then the shaft is tapped into place, once the groove on the shaft aligns with the clip then it will seat and hold the shaft in....

George, give me a ring, bring it over and we can sort it.

Last edited by a moderator:

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
So when I get aroudn to sending my diff off I should ask for these to already be installed.. thanks for posting this! You would have thought they would do it anyway!

Mr.G

Club Member
Thanks Steve, I'll have a last ditch attempt and if no joy I'll be in touch.

Dan, most definately. I advise you to firstly order the two rings from Mike Feeney so you can hand them to them and give them specific instructions to fit them. It will save you a lot of time and headache. Those in the trade must have the knack or the appropriate favourite tool they use to make life easier. I can also imagine that the task is going to be slightly easier to accomplish when the ATB is not yet installed in the R200.

Mr.G

Club Member
Update..........

I got one side in!

The way i did it was to use a scratch awl (big thick long type with very pointed end) to position one side of the ring and then a big screwdriver to turn the other side until it mated straight into the splined bore. Then used the stub axle as a drift as Wyn suggested.

I was very pleased with myself and finally thought I could stand tall alongside men such as Johnymd, Sylv and Skiddell, having past the gauntlet.:cheers:

For the other side, overcondifence or nerves kid in, and all looked to be going well until one side of the ring went past the groove. Tried to rescue it but then ended up with the ring sitting at the bottom of the hole!! The only way to get it out was to break the ring....

Moral of the story, take it slow.... and it CAN be done as others have said.

Thank you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigchef

Well-Known Forum User
merde, I think my diff has similar issue after installing lsd and 4.3 ring gear but only on the offside!! Although I had been advised that a 4.3 ring and pinion could well push the diff further left causing drive shaft seating issues... Any one have anything to add??
sorry MrG didn't mean to hijack your thread...

s2k_adz

Club Member
I'm in the middle of this now. What a shitty job! I'm debating forcing it into a socket then popping it out once it's passed the entry to the smaller area

Mr.G

Club Member
I'm in the middle of this now. What a shitty job! I'm debating forcing it into a socket then popping it out once it's passed the entry to the smaller area
Oh it is, felt like a bloody impossible challenge. Stick at it and it's doable with patience and take it slowly. It took me many attempts.

Good luck! Your method may work, let us know. I didn't use a drift, just a few long tools to push it through, screw driver long dowel and I think a pair of 90degree very long, long nose pliers were helpful.

s2k_adz

Club Member
I've been on it 3 hours now. I've taken the diff fully out of the car again to try and get them in. Its infuriating.

The drift doesn't work from what I can see. It has to be squeezed as well as pushed.

Ordered some long nose pliers.

s2k_adz

Club Member
Well I got them both in. Only took 8 hours SOLID. I must have tried over 1000 times Ruined a side seal in the process.

I also squeezed one of the clips so that it now looks a little smaller than the other so now I'm praying the half shaft taps in OK after I've done the side seals.

Found the part number for them. Anyone know the part number for a pinion seal on a Z31 turbo diff? Thinking I might go belt and braces as I do not want to take it out again, for a third time.