Getting keys cut

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Hi all
Looking to create a spare set of keys for my 240z, any recommendations on where to go to get the correct blank keys for cutting?
Thanks in advance
Kieron

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Hi all
Looking to create a spare set of keys for my 240z, any recommendations on where to go to get the correct blank keys for cutting?
Thanks in advance
Kieron
I asked the other day at a generic Timpsons (attached to Sainsbury's usually) and they can cut anything if you supply them with blanks 👍

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
My local place had the blanks when I had mine cut - have you tried just taking the keys in?

Dale

Club Member
Be careful with buying blanks as I got one recently from an eBay seller and the one supplied was the reverse of what it should have been so it was no good.

Farmer42

Club Member
Most good locksmiths or security place should have the keys or blanks. That's where I got mine done.

Pondo

Club Member
I asked the other day at a generic Timpsons (attached to Sainsbury's usually) and they can cut anything if you supply them with blanks 👍
I took my blank to be cut here and was told they couldn’t cut a blank they hadn’t sold. When I asked if they could sell me one and cut it the guy told me it wasn’t something they stocked!!:conf2:

Dale

Club Member
I took my blank to be cut here and was told they couldn’t cut a blank they hadn’t sold. When I asked if they could sell me one and cut it the guy told me it wasn’t something they stocked!!:conf2:
Just try another one. Timpson’s let their managers pretty much ‘do what they want’ so you’re bound to get the odd awkward one that doesn’t get it the point of that ethos.

I asked one and he was happy to do it.

yellowz

Club Member
Timpson's at Asda West Swindon did mine Kieron. The lady in there told me to order the keys, bring them in and she did it no problem.

Robotsan

Club Member
So do you have to have a suitable blank for cutting into a Datsun key? Timpsons wouldn't have anything in there already that would work?

richiep

Club Member
I took my red Z's keys in when I first got it to get a spare set made and there was no problem. Didn't give them any blanks. I subsequently replaced the door/hatch lock set so had a new Nissan key for that, but here’s the ignition key I got cut - in the style of the original:
IMG_6179.jpeg

Huw

Club Member
Yeh I got that from a Timpsons at my local Sainsbury’s. Tried the one in Bristol city centre and they did it no problem for just a donation to their local charity.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Yes I agree it does vary. I’ve had two keys (ignition and fuel cap) cut from an online company and Timpsons have told me to bring the door keys in and they can check the blank required, they’ll order them in and cut. So all good