Bangers and Cash

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Anybody see the Saab 96 yesterday. They spent £40k restoring a car that was worth £20k!

The fabricator was a guy called Woody and it was in Yorkshire 🤔

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is it possible to spend £40k on a Saab 96? Wheeler Dealers did one I remember … not seen the B&C one …
On a rotten one yes with windows out paint too.

As they said on the programme the fabrication labour costs as much on a cheap car as it does on an expensive one. It only makes financial sense if you can do it yourself. But they added that they were glad it had been restored.

Farmer42

Club Member
The problem is that they pay over the odds for them in the first place. I don't think they ever stop bidding for something and let it go and when the guy says that the B&C team have bid X amount I'm sure other bidders keep going to bump the price up. IIRC, the only one they made money on was a Lotus Esprit.

yellowz

Club Member
How much does the program make though? I watch it as much for the people that do the restorations as for the main item they are restoring.

Every Mathewson they speak to says they are nuts so they're not listening to any advice in the first place.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The problem is that they pay over the odds for them in the first place. I don't think they ever stop bidding for something and let it go and when the guy says that the B&C team have bid X amount I'm sure other bidders keep going to bump the price up. IIRC, the only one they made money on was a Lotus Esprit.
I agree with most of that but they got this Saab fairly cheap but didn't have a good look at it first! They were influenced by Mathewsons, the low ownership and 'romantic' stories about it's past instead of looking under the car! Tbh when the restorer got it on his ramps he more or less said it was a 'donor' car!

However it makes the programme more interesting when we can rip it to bits.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Doesn’t matter which car program to them the car is just a film prop . But at least B&C seem to be honest about
what they spend not like some .

Makesy

Club Member
They've reached out to me for my car to feature on there, but I'm reluctant largely due to the time commitment.

Unsurprisingly they don't pay you anything, which, in the context of what the show must make, seems a bit cheeky.