What did you do to your Z this week?

richiep

Club Member
Looks like a fantastic day ritchie.

Ii like all those cars but have a soft spot for the Mk1 Civic, so very rare.
Indeed; it had a special story too. I didn’t read every word, but the basic gist was that it was a 2 or 3 owner car, with the original having owned it for much of its life - a wealthy Japanese woman who bought it new and retained it in London for use when visiting here. So it had an extremely pampered, low use existence.

The Civic, the Mk3 Celica, and that RX7 (which was in general parking) were all immaculate.

Robert

Club Member
Great looking car Robert, is that a modded heater control?

View attachment 58398
Yes yellow Z. I got the car with a plastic after market valve which worked at 90 degrees to the hose so much of the internal heater lever movement was taken up pulling the hose out of shape. This one works in line with the hose so avoids distorting it. Valve movement is less than the correct type of valve fitted to the side of the matrix so I made a little dohicky that fits on the valve and rotates as the valve works so I get full movement of the lever in the car. I'll need to remove the heater one day to sort out the wear in the flap mechanism so I might fit the correct valve then it I can find one that won't leak into the car.

yellowz

Club Member
Yes yellow Z. I got the car with a plastic after market valve which worked at 90 degrees to the hose so much of the internal heater lever movement was taken up pulling the hose out of shape. This one works in line with the hose so avoids distorting it. Valve movement is less than the correct type of valve fitted to the side of the matrix so I made a little dohicky that fits on the valve and rotates as the valve works so I get full movement of the lever in the car. I'll need to remove the heater one day to sort out the wear in the flap mechanism so I might fit the correct valve then it I can find one that won't leak into the car.
Be interested to hear what parts you used please Robert? I'm looking to simplify the heater control on a 280Z and this looks a good option. So simple and elegant.

Robert

Club Member
Great looking car Robert, is that a modded heater control?

View attachment 58398

Be interested to hear what parts you used please Robert? I'm looking to simplify the heater control on a 280Z and this looks a good option. So simple and elegant.
I used this valve.
It was easy to install as my car was already missing the "correct" heater valve. The pivoting part was made from soldered brass tube and a bit of sheet.

Last edited:

yellowz

Club Member
I used this valve.
It was easy to install as my car was already missing the "correct" heater valve. The pivoting part was made from soldered brass tube and a bit of sheet.
Thanks Robert, the video is not there but I get gist of it.

dotMorse

Club Member
Looking excellent. I'm interested in what centre caps you have on the front wheels. Is that Mexican Orange?
They are the watanabe center caps that came with the watanabe wheels.

The colour is the 918 orange. Full nut and bolt rebuild and respray.

Tuned the carbs a bit further last night. Smiling all the way to work this morning. Glorious.

Robert

Club Member
They are the watanabe center caps that came with the watanabe wheels.

The colour is the 918 orange. Full nut and bolt rebuild and respray.

Tuned the carbs a bit further last night. Smiling all the way to work this morning. Glorious.
I believe 918 is Mexican Orange. Only reason I'm asking is it appears we have similar taste😊. My wheels are Rota and the fronts have no caps I'm assuming because the hubs are to big but now I'm curious 🤔IMG_20230418_160225.jpg

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
I see John Hall had a problem in his 260Z in qualifying and DNS, do we know what it was?
I didn't see John but he dropped me some bits off on Monday

He wasn't who I watching the other 240z is Dave and Dean I go to support

John 260z has fuel problems he was saying hope it sorted he says for next race

ben240z

Club Member
Went to Abingdon carnival sprint with my daughter, Hannah.

2 sprint courses in one day with the times combined to give overall result. 1 course on the runway with a couple of tight chicanes and the second course around the perimeter.

The class for once did not include any 4x4 evo/scooby type cars but was made up of Tr7v8s, Tr7s, e type jag, sunbeam alpine v8, mgb v8, mr2 turbo and a gt3 porsche.
Came away with 2nd in class with the porsche beating me on the 1st course by a second ( annoying because I made so many mistakes on that one) but I was ahead on the second course..