Thermostat housing differences.

Kest

Club Member
Hey guys, I have a conundrum, which is mostly a question.
Building up the l28 and through all my spares I have 3 options for thermostat housing.
I have a two hole, a three hole and a four hole.
I'm fairly certain the two hole was from the 260 originally.
And the three and four are both from zx engines.
It's a two part question, which one should I go with? And what could all the ports be used for?
Water temp sensor for guage - easy.
Water temp sensor/switch for efi engines- maybe.
Maybe a hole for an alternative Water chanel like a heated manifold or something turbo related.
I can't see the need for four - which is sort of answering my own first part question. But I'm happy to be enlightened as to why so many ports.

Attachments

• 20230503_165825.jpg
    20230503_165825.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 10

Robotsan

Club Member
Are you asking what all the holes in the 4 hole thermostat housing are for? If so, this pic should help. Sorry if that's not what you're asking though!

I don't suppose you happen to have a spare Water Temp Switch (for distributor) do you?!

post-7641-14150818444908.jpg

Huw

Club Member
That’s not for the distributor but for the cooling fan on US cars to cool off the fuel in the injectors and hoses after tje engines turned off. It’s a big old thing that sits across the rocker cover

That hole is normally just blanked off like the one on the right in your piccy at the start.
IMG_2105.jpeg

Last edited:

Kest

Club Member
Are you asking what all the holes in the 4 hole thermostat housing are for? If so, this pic should help. Sorry if that's not what you're asking though!

I don't suppose you happen to have a spare Water Temp Switch (for distributor) do you?!

View attachment 57887
This is exactly what I was asking, good answer.
Now do I have a spare switch, the answer is I'm not sure, there's heaps of things I still need to go through and it's likely to take years. So probably don't rely on myself.

Kest

Club Member
That’s not for the distributor but for the cooling fan on US cars to cool off the fuel in the injectors and hoses after tje engines turned off. It’s a big old thing that sits across the rocker cover

That hole is normally just blanked off like the one on the right in your piccy at the start.
View attachment 57888
This makes sense that on my 4 hole the 4th is blanked and my 3, the 4th is yet to be drilled as all UK cars and engines.

I guess I'll go with the 3 or 4 housing to future proof myself for going efi (but that's years away).

Robotsan

Club Member
ToThat’s not for the distributor but for the cooling fan on US cars to cool off the fuel in the injectors and hoses after tje engines turned off. It’s a big old thing that sits across the rocker cover

View attachment 57888

Are you sure that's not just on the 280zx? I can't find any images online showing that fan thing on a 280z.

Everything I've been able to find online calls that top right one the Temp Switch (For Distributor) when referencing S30 cars.

I've not found the right page in the FSM yet though! It also doesn't seem to get a mention in the Haynes or How To Restore Your Datsun books though.

Robotsan

Club Member
This makes sense that on my 4 hole the 4th is blanked and my 3, the 4th is yet to be drilled as all UK cars and engines.

I guess I'll go with the 3 or 4 housing to future proof myself for going efi (but that's years away).

Oh don't worry, was just on the off chance! :)