Donington Historic Festival 2023 - 29/30 April

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
From my point of view I thought the site was good (hard-standing) and close to toilets and catering. Saturday seems to be the main day for Clubs (why?) the racing is both days. When I was younger Sundays were better supported.

I thought the organisation from the circuit was weak. Very few marshals and signage. No commentary on the infield for spectators (or us).

The parade laps are too slow.

We need more awards, especially on the Saturday - too many good cars were left out?

If we are going to make any significant upgrades then we may need more help or pay for it.

Farmer42

Club Member
Rob. I agree with your points. I thought the location was great and good that we had the hardstanding. Grass is ok unless there has been rain and you could see what happened beforehand with the brown patches on the pitch that we should have been on. Wouldn't have wanted to get stuck on that or get plastered in mud!

The event and attendance by the car clubs used to be a lot bigger but this has reduced significantly to the extent that they are now too spread out and not easy for the public to get round all the different cars on show.

WRT the Saturday/Sunday issue, there always seems to be 2 events on the same weekend and most try to get to both hence attending one on one day and the other the following day. For me, I was due to go to the Coffee & Chrome at Prescott Hill Climb on the Sunday which is why I only booked the Saturday.

Other than that, I thought it was a great event and well worth the trip. Thank you again for organising.

grb184

Club Member
Guys, please can you feedback what was good and not so good. You can PM if you like.

So consider location, facilities, awards, catering and also of particular interest to me is why Saturday was far busier than Sunday.

How can we boost Sunday attendance or should we just make it one day?

Thank you in anticipation.
Hi Rob and thanks again for organising, here’s my thoughts.

It seems that Saturday has always been the busiest day, we’ll ever since I’ve been going anyway, maybe it’s a self fulfilling prophecy I know most cars will be there on Saturday therefore I go Saturday myself.

On the good side

The location is pretty central in the country
It’s a nice early in the season event for car shows.

There were lots of us on the z club pitch at least on the Saturday. I liked the variety of z’s too

It’s very reasonable in terms of entry cost

It’s become the z club traditional meet,and it’s nice to meet up with other owners and chew the fat. I think we were one of the bigger clubs this year!

I think the club awards are a great idea

On the bad

The festival seems to be getting smaller and smaller attendances now from other clubs and spectators than back in the past.

The racing at least this year didn’t have the variety (such as the group c last year super touring cars another) and I think that’s why the spectators stayed away.

The facilities at donington are quite dilapidated.

I think a lot of the local hotels are closed,I used to make it a 2 day and catch up with the friends in the bar.

Overall I still like the event and all things being equal will be back next year! But maybe only for the Saturday again!

Graham

Jeff Wyatt

Forum User
Great to meet everyone on the Saturday. Really nice bunch of people and such lovely cars. Pity we didn't get a pic of all 3 of us on the motorway home, we were all together at one point! Hey ho. Many thanks to Rob for organising and for telling me what all the buttons do :350Za2::)! Sasha

grb184

Club Member
Great to meet everyone on the Saturday. Really nice bunch of people and such lovely cars. Pity we didn't get a pic of all 3 of us on the motorway home, we were all together at one point! Hey ho. Many thanks to Rob for organising and for telling me what all the buttons do :350Za2::)! Sasha
Sasha,

I thought I had, im in my white samuri following another and your in the middle lane!

1683305028925.png

chef

Club Member
Hi Rob,
it was all great, more attendees on the Sunday would’ve been nicer but I think coincidently there were a lot of other shows & meets on the Sunday, i agree on the parade laps, maybe they should just be a bit more spaced out so you don’t catch up too easily,
thanks for anyone concerned in the decision on my trophy, Kenny’s happy in his little house with his new trophy in the cabinet ( my car has been called Kenny for the last 35yearz ) just outed his name because too many people call him her 😁

Attachments

• 2136E8AA-2B81-49FA-BC19-34ECB368C3B4.jpeg
    2136E8AA-2B81-49FA-BC19-34ECB368C3B4.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 9B5112BD-5C89-4BE0-ADF9-97CEF1D43F29.jpeg
    9B5112BD-5C89-4BE0-ADF9-97CEF1D43F29.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 8048A7D2-2323-4625-8277-0629DB2B6428.jpeg
    8048A7D2-2323-4625-8277-0629DB2B6428.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 200EFE91-1D00-494E-B5AD-0AC78CCE8F31.jpeg
    200EFE91-1D00-494E-B5AD-0AC78CCE8F31.jpeg