280zx Coolant leak

SteveG

Club Member
Hoping that someone can identify this component in the photos (280zx). One is taken from underneath the car. It appears to be leaking. I thought it was just a joiner, but it has a plastic part below (maybe filter?)

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230416_192445.jpg
    20230416_192445.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230416_192707.jpg
    20230416_192707.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 54

Huw

Club Member
That wee thing is unfortunately unobtainium. Its a pressure relief valve that allows coolant to flow from the lower thermostat housing to the water pump if the engine is at high revs when it’s cold before the thermostat opens.

Been looking for a replacement myself. Looks like it can be prised open, but I’ve not been brave enough myself yet to try.

chef

Club Member
I believe torqen uk got a couple in from Japan, was over a year ago so might have all gone but worth a try, also try Michael lambert from the Datsun club on Facebook deals with a lot of new old stock parts, he’s worth a try,
hope you get one, I’ve got a couple of old ones with just a tiny drip, if you get really desperate, when I get time I’ll take one apart to see if theyr fixable, this is the part number from the original box, sorry, I seamed to have put 3 pictures on,
cheers
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

SteveG

Club Member
I believe torqen uk got a couple in from Japan, was over a year ago so might have all gone but worth a try, also try Michael lambert from the Datsun club on Facebook deals with a lot of new old stock parts, he’s worth a try,
hope you get one, I’ve got a couple of old ones with just a tiny drip, if you get really desperate, when I get time I’ll take one apart to see if theyr fixable, this is the part number from the original box, sorry, I seamed to have put 3 pictures on,
cheers
View attachment 57283View attachment 57283View attachment 57283
cheers
Thank you for the reply, really useful

Huw

Club Member
cheers
Been on back order with Torqen for months as they don’t have any at the moment.

Farmer42

Club Member
I don't think the part number on the box refers to the part that is required. The part number on the box is for the union that screws into the block for the hose that feeds the heater matrix. That's the part number I used a few years ago when I replaced mine & it is not a pressure relief valve as far as I am concerned. Look it up on the interweb and it shows you what it is and it's still available.

chef

Club Member
I don't think the part number on the box refers to the part that is required. The part number on the box is for the union that screws into the block for the hose that feeds the heater matrix. That's the part number I used a few years ago when I replaced mine & it is not a pressure relief valve as far as I am concerned. Look it up on the interweb and it shows you what it is and it's still available.
Ok just that’s the box mine arrived in so I presumed it was

Ped

Club Member
27188-Q0105 is the right part number. I did this a few years back on mine. Here is a pic of the old part next to the box for the replacement. It's described on the box as 'A CONN HEATER' - it's the T-piece you see here.

T-piece.jpg

SteveG

Club Member
27188-Q0105 is the right part number. I did this a few years back on mine. Here is a pic of the old part next to the box for the replacement. It's described on the box as 'A CONN HEATER' - it's the T-piece you see here.

T-piece.jpg
Do you recall where you got it from?

chef

Club Member
Maybe try these?
I’ve got a few bits from America lately( mainly thermostat housing, mine had a slight crack & drip, apparently quite common, and same thing they’re a nightmare to find, so I got two), arrived in a week and no extra tax 👍
Good luck
ps ive had my 280 35 years and had 3 of these valves, they seem to last 10 years or so before they spring a leak, so get 2 if you can find them

Attachments

• 144C3951-E035-41A4-B6AF-91F5F0429AF0.png
    144C3951-E035-41A4-B6AF-91F5F0429AF0.png
    744.3 KB · Views: 14

Huw

Club Member
Maybe try these?
I’ve got a few bits from America lately( mainly thermostat housing, mine had a slight crack & drip, apparently quite common, and same thing they’re a nightmare to find, so I got two), arrived in a week and no extra tax 👍
Good luck
ps ive had my 280 35 years and had 3 of these valves, they seem to last 10 years or so before they spring a leak, so get 2 if you can find them
Tried that site. Seems to have let me order one. So let’s see. Got lots of other goodies as well (as long as you know the part number)

Thanks for that👍👍

Huw

SteveG

Club Member
Tried that site. Seems to have let me order one. So let’s see. Got lots of other goodies as well (as long as you know the part number)

Thanks for that👍👍

Huw
So I ordered one too, they send you an confirmation email and say another email will be sent with the payment link within 24-48hrs. So probably they check avaialability. Did you get the same Huw?

Huw

Club Member
So I ordered one too, they send you a confirmation email and say another email will be sent with the payment link within 24-48hrs. So probably they check avaialability. Did you get the same Huw?
I didn’t get that Steve. The site allowed me to pay straight away. I ordered two taking Chef‘s advise. If there is a problem with you getting hold of one, you can get one from me in the mean time when they turn up.

SteveG

Club Member
I didn’t get that Steve. The site allowed me to pay straight away. I ordered two taking Chef‘s advise. If there is a problem with you getting hold of one, you can get one from me in the mean time when they turn up.
Oh, right. I ordered 2 as well (ahahah). Thank you your offer, I'll stay tuned.