What did you do to your Z this week?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The slow dribble of parts for Dixie continues. This popped on eBay for a good deal and I had to grab it. Speeduino ECU, unused and ready to go. Will be while before it gets near the car, but that gives me plenty of time to ready the manuals and learn what the hell to do with the thing and building a loom for it!
View attachment 57218
Which is it Richie? Looks a bit like a UA4C.

richiep

Club Member
Which is it Richie? Looks a bit like a UA4C.
It’s made by ECULAB, but yes, it’s like the DIY-EFI UA4C, with the Arduino MEGA2560 and also a MAX9921 Hall effect sensor interface sitting on top. Has two 18-pin sockets and comes with the male connectors and pins to populate with wires.

The seller had bought it for rallying with a 4-cyl Pinto engine, but class rules changed and it was surplus. Cost me £199!!! Rather pleased!

dotMorse

Club Member
Finally got my indicators working.

I also re-artworked and printed new stickers for all the shiny car bits.

Attachments

• 44016990-E6EC-478A-AFAC-E2899F5476DD.jpeg
    44016990-E6EC-478A-AFAC-E2899F5476DD.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 40
  • E5D79F92-62CC-4D85-B66E-EE3FA74F5C4C.jpeg
    E5D79F92-62CC-4D85-B66E-EE3FA74F5C4C.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 40
  • F7A5A114-041E-47DB-8467-0792E8CA8F8E.jpeg
    F7A5A114-041E-47DB-8467-0792E8CA8F8E.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 40

Fairlineguy

Club Member
With a break in the weather the Datsun is back on duty collecting the Saturday night takeaway .
mind you any excuse to get her out for a drive will do

Attachments

• EAAD9558-3E52-446F-AD1C-B71073335091.jpeg
    EAAD9558-3E52-446F-AD1C-B71073335091.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 40
  • 3AACE574-04F1-4598-BD59-3C0DA66CE67C.jpeg
    3AACE574-04F1-4598-BD59-3C0DA66CE67C.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 40

Ducky

Club Member
My few wiring fixes has got out of hand and basically replacing the lot and doing upgrades.

Found a lot of issues with original harness so rebuilding pretty much all of it. Engine and rear harnesses will be completely replaced and dash a lot changed with new fuse box.

This week got the brake, dome, reverse and running lights working. Just need turn signal flasher and they're done. On the hunt for a 280 volt meter as well.

Head light relay and honda wiper motor upgrades next up.

DSC_2598.JPG

richiep

Club Member
Yesterday’s attempt to get the Z back on the road for the year did not go well. Ignition was sporadic. Turned over maybe once in every 20-30 turns of the key. Everything has power; the extra relay I have on the ignition to provide 12V directly to the solenoid was clicking but zero was happening at the starter. I’ve got a spare starter I can swap on but it’s all going to be down to the wire next weekend before Japfest. If I can’t figure it out, I’ll be in the Celica…

arcdef

Club Member
Tried fitting a techno toy tuning tri brace to my Z but now can't get the bonnet to close flush, hood pin is adjusted all the way in and bonnet is still around 5mm proud 😞.

Can anyone measure the distance from the hood latch bracket to the top of the firewall please? I wonder if my bracket has been moved at some point in its life.

Attachments

• PXL_20230416_121506626.jpg
    PXL_20230416_121506626.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20230416_121532883.jpg
    PXL_20230416_121532883.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 31

arcdef

Club Member
I’m sure woody has one of these on his car although he’s probably in darkest Peru at the moment.
I think you are right!

If anyone is able to measure their firewall for me it would be much appreciated so I know if I should persevere with this or not!

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Tried fitting a techno toy tuning tri brace to my Z but now can't get the bonnet to close flush, hood pin is adjusted all the way in and bonnet is still around 5mm proud 😞.

Can anyone measure the distance from the hood latch bracket to the top of the firewall please? I wonder if my bracket has been moved at some point in its life.

I would think it very unlikely that the hood latch bracket has been moved from the position that it was originally welded to the bodyshell at the factory. Bashed or bent down maybe. Taking engine out/putting engine in can sometimes lead to a bash and I've often seen transmissions suspended by a rope from the latch bracket, but if it was way out of line on your car I'd expect it to have been a problem before you fitted the T3 tri-brace mount.

Here's a question; Do T3 make any specific mention of the difference between LHD and RHD latch types in their marketing/instructions for this product? Latches are handed. How do T3 handle the difference?

arcdef

Club Member
I would think it very unlikely that the hood latch bracket has been moved from the position that it was originally welded to the bodyshell at the factory. Bashed or bent down maybe. Taking engine out/putting engine in can sometimes lead to a bash and I've often seen transmissions suspended by a rope from the latch bracket, but if it was way out of line on your car I'd expect it to have been a problem before you fitted the T3 tri-brace mount.

Here's a question; Do T3 make any specific mention of the difference between LHD and RHD latch types in their marketing/instructions for this product? Latches are handed. How do T3 handle the difference?
I sure hope it hasnt but the reason I asked is the car has had an engine change and clearance is tight so thought maybe the latch could have been moved up slightly.

They do sell different plates for LHD and RHD.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I sure hope it hasnt but the reason I asked is the car has had an engine change and clearance is tight so thought maybe the latch could have been moved up slightly.

Ah, right. I see.

I'm not close to a car that I can measure the latch mount bracket position on at the moment. Maybe someone else can?

arcdef

Club Member
Appreciate your help. Over lunch I decided to remove the rubber isolator in the bonnet pin and it has solved the issue!

I wish T3 made people aware of this unless its not a standard part on all latches?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Appreciate your help. Over lunch I decided to remove the rubber isolator in the bonnet pin and it has solved the issue!

I wish T3 made people aware of this unless its not a standard part on all latches?
Got a pic? I'm not sure what the rubber isolator is.

arcdef

Club Member
if you have issues, I can't see the 'tri' brace adding anything over a normal strut brace, based on how flexible the bulkhead is. can you run it without the rear arms?
I cant run a standard bar as my engine is too high so just going to run the bars going back to the fire wall. Maybe im sad but even if performance is limited they look pretty cool 🤷‍♂️

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Over lunch I decided to remove the rubber isolator in the bonnet pin and it has solved the issue!

Good. The rubber isolator was a sort of bump stop to soften the impact of the bonnet being slammed closed. A slim rubber (tap?) washer might be a good substitute if it will fit. A little bit of protection.