Movement in rear lower arm spindle

s2k_adz

Club Member
Hey guys,

I've got movement in my passenger rear lower A arm where the spindle goes through. It's quite noticable and clonks when driving.

What is worn to cause this? It doesn't seem bushed so is it the arm, spindle or hub that will need replacing?

Last edited:

Farmer42

Club Member
Sounds like bushes to me. Does it clunk when suspension is moving up & down or when you take up drive?

Farmer42

Club Member
If they are the originals in the arm, they are metal cased and need pressing out. I have a pin removal tool to get the pins out otherwise they are pigs to move and you will usually end up wrecking them getting them out if you use a hammer & drift. I would order some new one to be safe if you decide to do them.

You will also need to change the inner bushes at the same time. One word of warning from someone with bitter experience, is remember to use plenty of polybush grease before you fit new otherwise, like mine, they will squeal!!

s2k_adz

Club Member
Thanks guys, I'll check the nuts but fairy sure I did this once before.

Where is the bush in question? Actually in the arm? I thought all my bushes were new as part of the polybush kit, I'll check this too!

I guess they're lower outer wishbone bushes?

arcdef

Club Member
If they are the originals in the arm, they are metal cased and need pressing out. I have a pin removal tool to get the pins out otherwise they are pigs to move and you will usually end up wrecking them getting them out if you use a hammer & drift. I would order some new one to be safe if you decide to do them.

You will also need to change the inner bushes at the same time. One word of warning from someone with bitter experience, is remember to use plenty of polybush grease before you fit new otherwise, like mine, they will squeal!!
I ended up using an assortment of spanners behind a nut and washer to drive it half out and then a slide hammer to finish it off. Took about 5 mins and no damage to spindle.

s2k_adz

Club Member
So it looks like I did change the lower bushes as I thought so they're new Energy Polybushed ones.

What else could be causing the movement? A worn arm or hub?

Nuts both seem really tight.

Farmer42

Club Member
If it clunks at the point where you have circled in red, then it can only be bushes or a worn spindle pin. Get a pry bar between the control arm and the cotter pin and test where the movement is. It could be a worn control arm housing that is not holding the bush properly. If so, I have a spare control arm if you want it. You might also want to check the inner bushes at the other end of the arm.

If there is no movement or it doesn't clunk there, it could be the anti roll bar tie rod & bushes (the bolt with the red bit at the end on your pic). That looks quite new though. There could be other areas that could clunk but that would be on take up of drive e.g. driveshaft, hub bearings, propshaft UJ, etc.

s2k_adz

Club Member
If it clunks at the point where you have circled in red, then it can only be bushes or a worn spindle pin. Get a pry bar between the control arm and the cotter pin and test where the movement is. It could be a worn control arm housing that is not holding the bush properly. If so, I have a spare control arm if you want it. You might also want to check the inner bushes at the other end of the arm.

If there is no movement or it doesn't clunk there, it could be the anti roll bar tie rod & bushes (the bolt with the red bit at the end on your pic). That looks quite new though. There could be other areas that could clunk but that would be on take up of drive e.g. driveshaft, hub bearings, propshaft UJ, etc.
Thanks Farmer.

All the bushes are brand new the car was fully rebuilt and finished last year. I'll check as you say. I think I've got a spare control arm if it comes to be that! The movement kinda looks like it's within the hub though. Is it possible for the hub to wear where the spindle pin goes through it? The clunk is definitely where I've circled, there's quite a lot of movement. You can grab the wheel and move it back and forth like you would if a bearing was worn but again that's all new and you can physically see movement at the circled bush.

I do have a video I'll try and upload now!

s2k_adz

Club Member
Please see the link guys! Its really hard to see but you can see it slightly. The movement seems to be between the hub and arm but the bolt on the other side of the bush doesn't seem to move within the bush.

This is what makes me think it might be movement within the hub itself or maybe a worn pin?

Last edited:

Farmer42

Club Member
Hmm!🤔 The movement seems to be at the bottom of the strut and the nuts at both ends of the spindle pin should clamp the bushes enough to stop that. As far as I recall there is no replaceable sleeve through the strut that the pin goes through so it should be locked tight by the lock pin. If you have fitted coilovers, perhaps the chopping & welding required could have distorted that part so it has become slack. Either that or the arm is out of shape.

It might be worth trying a different arm if you have one.

johnymd

Club Member
I have replaced several of these bushes with urethane bushes so here's my thoughts. Firstly, the bush kit I use are an extremely tight fit. you have to clamp them together in a vice to get them in the control arms. Once they are fully home it is then very difficult to get the arm over the strut as there doesn't appear to be enough room. Do not be tempted to shave a little from the end of one of the bushes. It is designed to be a very tight fit as tightening up the pin nuts does not clamp the inner bushes. these get compressed when you force the arm onto the strut. The only way I've found to do this is by making a small chamfer on the leading edge of the bush to get it started. Remember lots of grease on the moving surfaces. I'm not sure of the fit of your bush kit. Did you have to remove the metal sleeve from the old bush?

s2k_adz

Club Member
Thanks guys.

I can't remember shaving the bush down to get it on Johnny. I'm fairly sure I took the metal sleeves out but it was put in a while ago though so I can't be sure! Car probably stood with the bushes in for 5 years before me driving it. I'll take the arm off when I'm home and check.

It's the Energy Suspension kit I used from Zcar depot.

s2k_adz

Club Member
I have replaced several of these bushes with urethane bushes so here's my thoughts. Firstly, the bush kit I use are an extremely tight fit. you have to clamp them together in a vice to get them in the control arms. Once they are fully home it is then very difficult to get the arm over the strut as there doesn't appear to be enough room. Do not be tempted to shave a little from the end of one of the bushes. It is designed to be a very tight fit as tightening up the pin nuts does not clamp the inner bushes. these get compressed when you force the arm onto the strut. The only way I've found to do this is by making a small chamfer on the leading edge of the bush to get it started. Remember lots of grease on the moving surfaces. I'm not sure of the fit of your bush kit. Did you have to remove the metal sleeve from the old bush?

What kit do you use Johnny?