I'm going 1JZ

Russell

Club Member
16799A39-4E31-4F1D-8B0A-80C9B3D69EA5.jpeg
First wash in many years. Plenty of grazes and dents from being moved around small garages but cleans up pretty well.

Have put a few miles on it, it’s really fun!

Likely going to need better fans. Doesn’t overheat yet but they don’t push much air so bound to have problems.

Getting fumes into the car so need to look into how well sealed the rear is. This will be a challenge as everything has been off and replaced if needed.

Few missing bolts here and there on the interior but it’s pretty much there.

Certainly enough to get it to JapFest.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
View attachment 57087
First wash in many years. Plenty of grazes and dents from being moved around small garages but cleans up pretty well.

Have put a few miles on it, it’s really fun!

Likely going to need better fans. Doesn’t overheat yet but they don’t push much air so bound to have problems.

Getting fumes into the car so need to look into how well sealed the rear is. This will be a challenge as everything has been off and replaced if needed.

Few missing bolts here and there on the interior but it’s pretty much there.

Certainly enough to get it to JapFest.
Is it coming to Donington?

Russell

Club Member
291EF02E-0AA7-4010-ABDB-4764F5974080.jpeg

Well having driven it and deciding that is all I wanted to do with my spare time, progress on the finishing touches felt unlikely - however it’s not stopped raining so not been able to take it out!

SO…

Back seats and boot carpet attached.
3FEE506B-62A7-48E4-B5CD-00D490DDAF0E.jpegBE38AB8F-237C-4D6D-BB80-32E0512C35AC.jpeg

The stereo never properly fit as the top of the centre console had been hacked. So got my trusty 3D printer fired up and made a couple of plates to sandwich the left over shards of centre console together, held with the stereo cage which sort of looks like this when done. Note the engine and oil pressure lights which came out quite well.
90C6B4E7-34FD-4B68-B22B-E312C042CE56.jpeg

I have a plan for the blanking plate above the engine light.
Replace the plate with a tiny screen and have it displaying AFR and Boost pressure.
Only just started playing around with that.
FB04EE42-4513-4A0A-B8A4-7E272FB3FA12.jpeg

I also took the opportunity to update the firmware on my gps speedo so will be able to see if that works when the rain stops and the puddles dry up!
4B8B2D70-2E0C-4CCE-B9EE-91053FD429FE.jpeg

The moment it does dry up, further progress stops apart from taking it to the local tyre place.
We got it pretty close with some fishing line and it drives perfectly but I’m sure a laser will do a bette job than fishing line and a ruler!

Ian

Club Member
I bet that feels great. I still remember my first drives in the RB-Z, even with it limited to 3500 due to only running on a base map I made it was very special.

Enjoy it.

Russell

Club Member
Quick sitrep.

Car is brilliant fun! Driving it whenever I possibly can and put a few hundred miles on it.

Good things;
FAST - Even at wastegate pressure
Reliable - Not had any concerns about it not starting or breaking down
Turns heads - Gets a lot of looks, points, possitive comments

Things to do;
Clutch - Anything more than wastegate pressure causes the clutch to slip when it hits boost. Need to get a stronger one
Leaks - Rear main oil seal is leaking. Its not getting oil on the clutch yet but needs doing. Annoyingly we knew about it when we took the engine out originally but totally forgot about it!
Also leaking around the oil pressure switch threads but thats an easy fix.

Few other things like surge tank being a bit noisy, need to get a nice steering wheel, dipped beam bulb blown on the offside, one of he reversin bulbs has blown.

All in all its now totally usable and everything else we do will be running projects of which we have a few plans and improvements.

Russell

Club Member
First formal outing complete. Including ups and downs.

DAY BEFORE JAPFEST

The clutch was really bad by mid last week and I was concerned.
So phoned around on Thursday and managed to get a clutch that’s apparently rated to 450hp delivered next day.
I also remembered a conversation with the guy I bought the Soarer who mentioned it could do with a rear main seal.
Got one of those from Toyota as well.

Stripped it down on Saturday morning to find some oil behind the flywheel, not enough to get to the clutch and definitely not coming from the rear main. Looks to be coming from either the back of the cam covers or/and back of the sump. Either way that wasn’t being fixed immediately!

The clutch in it appeared to be a Chinese special and probably wouldn’t have lasted long in a go kart (was already installed in the Soarer when we got it).

1ADBD82A-4B40-46F6-A63F-D2BBFBD28F04.jpeg122F93A3-A334-4587-B5A8-DE09412CFC84.jpeg6570757F-ED46-4900-A1EA-2593441697DB.jpeg

New one
4B1B5D36-9D66-46E3-9F12-8FC1FEF5438A.jpeg5A7167D9-B961-4502-8A11-4DFB54FB93DC.jpeg

Got that bolted in (eventually), put some thicker oil in the gearbox to reduce the volume of the whines it makes (future Russ problem).
Then as daylight faded we took it out for a test drive.
Clutch worked great, we felt confident so popped back to the workshop to put a selection of tools and things we may need for the journey to Japfest, patted ourselves on the back for a job well done and headed home for a good night sleep ready for a 4:30am start.
THEN -
CD1704D1-9D07-4E7E-9167-BC53CEEDB08C.jpegFED93ED9-AE9A-44CF-BC54-9B89E7FC7AEB.jpeg98333EFE-DFD2-4622-A337-B919668B14FF.jpeg
Exited a roundabout and nothin! Literally totally dead. No electrical power whatsoever, coasted to a frustrating stop, looked at each other saying swear words and started poking at it.
*Note the appropriate shoes.

A couple of hours prodding at it with my legs in the road and Iain waving a yellow microfibre cloth at cars in the hope we didn’t die, the car was still dead. Oh and it started pouring with rain and we still had to get up at 4am!

In the end I bypassed a couple of relays in the fuse box and got the engine running but that was it. Snuck it home in the dark with no lights or wipers and continued poking on my drive in the rain where my legs were at less risk of being run over.

Kept poking and testing and it suddenly came back to life. Great that it worked but not great that we didn’t know why and had to drive a couple of hundred miles the next day.

We decided to risk it anyway. Had a much too late night and didn’t sleep much with the confidence that we would be spending a lot of time on the side of the road regretting our life choices!

Attachments

• 5EED4BF6-002D-42E2-B0A3-0C087BC4858A.jpeg
    5EED4BF6-002D-42E2-B0A3-0C087BC4858A.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 7

Russell

Club Member
NEXT DAY -

Out of the house early, Iain drove the Z, I followed in the Porsche. Took the 2 older kids as well so they could enjoy the full classic car broken down on the side of the road experience.

It wasn’t that bad it turns out. It died once on the concrete part of the M25. The bit that rattles teeth out around Cobham.
I didn’t notice and apparently a few panicked kicks at the wiring in the footwell revived it.
Still not a long term fix.

Made it though!
74DADE4F-4768-4B4D-A8CB-178D30B57A1B.jpeg287BF2D7-4F4F-4A32-B2FC-D1F439FB1840.jpeg

I couldn’t enjoy the show until I had it sorted so continued to poke and prod.
3E9D151D-1C38-4810-A34A-7052FE4BBA4A.jpeg

Turned out to be one of the pins in the factory plugs had widened just enough to make a bad connection.
Took a while wiggling wires until I eventually confirmed exactly where it was and about 10 seconds to fix it.

All buttoned up and didn’t miss a beat on the drive home.

F7F9D9B2-8B3F-4B41-A3B0-08899C4B974C.jpeg

Spent the rest of the day enjoying the show and showing the car off.

Russell

Club Member
Few small updates, generally been enjoying it when the weather holds.

Put the centre console lid back together and got the polishing machine out.
IMG_0248.jpegIMG_0249.jpeg
IMG_0247.jpeg

Took one of my daughters to a car and coffee meet locally
IMG_0251.jpeg

To give an idea of how long term this project has been, here is the last time she sat in it!!
IMG_5248.jpeg

Cracking on with my AFR and Boost gauge idea.
IMG_0246.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg

Now soldered together and just need to come up with a way to make it look like it’s meant to be in the dash.
IMG_0254.jpeg
IMG_0253.jpeg

Unfortunately off the road again as the alternator has decided to give up.
Finding a new one is proving challenging/expensive so I’m going to do the right thing and order a load of cheaply made bits from china and fix it.

Robbie J

Club Member
Few small updates, generally been enjoying it when the weather holds.

Put the centre console lid back together and got the polishing machine out.
View attachment 57775View attachment 57776
View attachment 57777

Took one of my daughters to a car and coffee meet locally
View attachment 57778

To give an idea of how long term this project has been, here is the last time she sat in it!!
View attachment 57781

Cracking on with my AFR and Boost gauge idea.
View attachment 57779
View attachment 57780

Now soldered together and just need to come up with a way to make it look like it’s meant to be in the dash.
View attachment 57782
View attachment 57783

Unfortunately off the road again as the alternator has decided to give up.
Finding a new one is proving challenging/expensive so I’m going to do the right thing and order a load of cheaply made bits from china and fix it.
My son will likely be to big to get in the back its been so long getting the car on the road