Colour changing your S30

Ashley

Club Member
Just wondering if changing to another factory colour is likely to effect the value of a car? Are there any serial numbers to trace back the original colour of the car other than the sticker in the engine bay?

Cheers

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think the most likely impacts on value are probably:

- Switching from a popular colour to a less popular one (i.e. Red -> Brown)
- Switching to an obviously non-factory colour. (ie. Neons, Metalflake)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If your car is very original it might be better to stick to it's first colour unless you dislike it.

If it's had modifications then I don't think it matters.

uk66fastback

Club Member
What Rob said, really. No codes anywhere on the car for the colour. Leave that matching numbers stuff to the Mustang crowd, of which I was one (and other makes too).

richiep

Club Member
There's probably a hierarchy of value-influencing factors around colour, depending on the car and colour, as already noted above.

A very original, standard car - stick with original colour or another that is correct for its year. Very few cars fit this description now tbh.

At the bottom - a heavily modified car in a loud, obviously non-original colour. Such cars have a much smaller potential buyer base on taste grounds alone, and reduced desirability equals lower value. Ironic given such cars could've had the Earth spent on them.

In between, a spectrum based on the specifics of the car and colour. Most of which shouldn't have much impact if taste is exercised! My advice would be, whether planning to keep the car long-term or not, choose a colour that is in keeping with the car and suits it, i.e. one from the original range of colours, or something that doesn't scream "modern" or has the potential to be divisive.

My 71 S30 Fairlady Z as per my avatar is Ford Radiant Red; I love it, it suits the car, and obviously the cars were originally available in 905 red, which isn't dissimilar. Nissan Bayside Blue, the R34 Skyline colour, looks great on Zs. Again, the cars came in a metallic blue (115); Bayside just brightens it up a bit. Project Dixie, my 72 RHD-converted 240Z was 904 white from the factory. I am repainting it 907 green. It's most definitely not original - being a conversion that will have a 3.1L and will look like a HS30 Fairlady 240ZL with optional add-ons like overfenders - but I wanted to evoke a specific, period-derived look.

Ashley

Club Member
What Rob said, really. No codes anywhere on the car for the colour. Leave that matching numbers stuff to the Mustang crowd, of which I was one (and other makes too).
OK thanks. I suppose a none matching numbers engine is going to be a negative factor though?

status

Well-Known Forum User
Do to it wot you like best,it’s your car,did you buy it to flip,enjoy it ,soon as you change the tyres it’s not original is it

Ashley

Club Member
There's probably a hierarchy of value-influencing factors around colour, depending on the car and colour, as already noted above.

A very original, standard car - stick with original colour or another that is correct for its year. Very few cars fit this description now tbh.

At the bottom - a heavily modified car in a loud, obviously non-original colour. Such cars have a much smaller potential buyer base on taste grounds alone, and reduced desirability equals lower value. Ironic given such cars could've had the Earth spent on them.

In between, a spectrum based on the specifics of the car and colour. Most of which shouldn't have much impact if taste is exercised! My advice would be, whether planning to keep the car long-term or not, choose a colour that is in keeping with the car and suits it, i.e. one from the original range of colours, or something that doesn't scream "modern" or has the potential to be divisive.

My 71 S30 Fairlady Z as per my avatar is Ford Radiant Red; I love it, it suits the car, and obviously the cars were originally available in 905 red, which isn't dissimilar. Nissan Bayside Blue, the R34 Skyline colour, looks great on Zs. Again, the cars came in a metallic blue (115); Bayside just brightens it up a bit. Project Dixie, my 72 RHD-converted 240Z was 904 white from the factory. I am repainting it 907 green. It's most definitely not original - being a conversion that will have a 3.1L and will look like a HS30 Fairlady 240ZL with optional add-ons like overfenders - but I wanted to evoke a specific, period-derived look.
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

richiep

Club Member
OK thanks. I suppose a none matching numbers engine is going to be a negative factor though?
As has been noted above, the whole numbers-matching thing is an import from the pedantic US collector/concours scene. It’s all bollocks IMO unless dealing with the most high end, original cars with six figure-plus price tags.

With Zs, a matching numbers engine might be a positive on a very original, unmodified car (which as I noted, are vanishingly rare) - but it isn’t a negative in any other case. Very few people care about that crap tbh, especially outside of the US! Zs have been modified and tuned from the get-go - they are at the root of the Japanese modding scene. It’s part of their DNA. They also went through an extended phase of being worth nothing comparatively, so people swapped engines and all sorts to keep them running, increase power, have fun, etc.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
As has been noted above, the whole numbers-matching thing is an import from the pedantic US collector/concours scene. It’s all bollocks IMO unless dealing with the most high end, original cars with six figure-plus price tags.

With Zs, a matching numbers engine might be a positive on a very original, unmodified car (which as I noted, are vanishingly rare) - but it isn’t a negative in any other case. Very few people care about that crap tbh, especially outside of the US! Zs have been modified and tuned from the get-go - they are at the root of the Japanese modding scene. It’s part of their DNA. They also went through an extended phase of being worth nothing comparatively, so people swapped engines and all sorts to keep them running, increase power, have fun, etc.
The 'get go' - that's US b....... too!