Parts

Harty

Forum User
Hi I’m new to the Club and been a wile since I last bought Datsun z parts and sadly now the legend Mike Feeney is no longer with us I’m unsure of where to go for parts
Could you advise on the best place or places
Many thanks

Geoff-R

Club Member
Welcome to the club.

Yes, Mike was a great guy with a wealth of knowledge and access to parts, sorely missed. That said, some parts can be sourced in the UK with the friendly folk on the forum. There is also Rock Auto in the states for a large amount of parts and the usual US outlets. Is there something in particular you need help sourcing?

Harty

Forum User
Thanks Geoff 👊
At the moment I’m doing some body repairs and to be fair mechanicals seem in good shape but as I get further into it I’m sure I’ll find bushes and brake parts etc etc I was looking for a boot seal rubber but managed to repair fairly successfully so not finding one easily saved me money 😅 I’d love a set of chrome rimmed clear headlight covers but they seem rare and a bit expensive !

richiep

Club Member
The metal-rimmed headlight covers were a Japanese market option in period; that's where they can mostly be found, but as you note, they aren't cheap! Used originals or repros, in both cases are multiple hundreds of pounds.

As Geoff notes, Rock Auto in the US is very useful for standard mechanical parts - swift, and relatively cheap. Other US sources - Z Car Depot, JDM Car Parts in CA for more special and JDM-specific items.
RHD Japan - parts ordering from Japan. A strong selection of parts from manufacturers like Kameari (who you can also go to direct), Fujitsubo, Marugen Shoukai, Cusco, etc. Useful as a one-stop shop for Japanese market performance parts.

Body repairs - you need to check out KFVintageJDM - incredible and growing range of high quality, reverse-engineered, repro body panels. US-based with production in Colombia I think, but has a European warehouse in Spain, which is a bonus. Gerson, the owner, is a good guy to deal with too and a Z enthusiast.

Also body panels - APS, Auto Panel Solutions, here in the UK. Andy Plant, the proprietor, works with Duncan Pearcey of the Z Farm in Thirsk. You can find APS on Facebook. I've used an assortment of his panels in my project build and plenty of others here can vouch for his output. Not the scale or industrial capability that KFVintage has (the latter having full-scale stamping tooling, now producing parts like full rear quarter panels, etc.), but makes key panels for repair areas as well as all-important RHD conversion panels.

Makesy

Club Member
Just to add to the above, recently I've had 2 parcels arrive from Rockauto before a different parcel has even left Germany (my deliveries with Rockauto typically arrive within a week). I think they're fantastic!

There are a handful of UK sellers on eBay etc who are only repackaging rock auto (or similar) goods, but adding significant markup, just so that you are aware.

I've also always had good service from Z car depot (I believe we have a club discount code now too).

There are other US sellers around who I've found can be a bit hit and miss - customer service can be lacking in a lot of cases.

richiep

Club Member
Another thing I’d add is that, for me personally, the US is no longer my first go-to location when looking for stuff, particularly on eBay. Back in the day, I bought plenty of parts for my red Z from the States; nowadays, shipping prices have become extreme, which then fuels bigger import duty at this end. I’ve actually found buying from Yahoo Auctions Japan via BidJDM or FromJapan.com to be cheaper (especially as you can consolidate orders at their warehouse and get combined shipping). Is also usually very swift shipping (5-6 days).

Exceptions to the rule - RockAuto is fast and cheap.
Also, I usually go mad buying Z parts when I’m in the US, and bring them back in the luggage! I have an advantage there though as I have family on the East Coast and we are there every year (although this summer, the Yanks are coming here and we are going to Croatia instead of Cape Cod!). Back in 2019, I came back with a grands worth of stuff secreted in the family cases, and walked through customs with a giant box with two spoilers in it …

Harty

Forum User
Thank you guys this is great information and much appreciated , joining the club is proving to be the bast thing I’ve done 👊 I’ll make notes of all the information , sounds like I’ve got to dig deep for light lenses ! I’ll investigate and hopefully find a set one day
Thanks again much appreciated

Ian

Club Member
Can Nissan still supply any parts for our cars?

When I was building mine I got all stock parts from Mike but I was assuming he was getting them from Nissan?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
You can definitely get some parts from Nissan still - I got a spindle pin a couple of months ago.