What did you do to your Z this week?

richiep

Club Member
Had an eBay delivery yesterday that filled another gap in the project parts pile. I’ve had a pair of Toyo R888s for the rear wheels for ages, but a front pair in the right size range have been elusive. The R888 has been superseded by the R888R, which has a different tread pattern, and I wanted consistency, so had to play a waiting game. Waiting over:
4EB706C2-E15F-4EF6-975B-D1044345237D.jpeg
3FAE5D52-4BF6-4CCF-9261-170876192604.jpeg
Also did some preliminary work on one of the connecting rods for the 18RG 2.2L build for the RA25 Celica. Touch of lightening/polishing. This is not just because I like bling - there is science behind it beyond the weight relief. Obviously has benefits for oil flow, but also actually strengthens the rods by removing stresses and even micro-cracks that can be apparent in the seams from manufacturing. These rods will all get this treatment, will be balanced as close as possible as a set, and then shot peened. Should give a set optimized as one can go with a factory rod.
48492E19-B25B-4072-97F2-B1BB2AFF9589.jpeg
812658D1-6246-4443-961D-C89A4840FD86.jpeg

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Carrying on with the Toyota 18R engine, just finished completely restoring a pair of Mikuni Solex that was standard for this engine as a side project...for sale shortly...

And for the S30, a trial set-up for tweeking my Solex air trumpets.

Attachments

• DSCF3779 (2) resize.JPG
    DSCF3779 (2) resize.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF3778 (2) resize.JPG
    DSCF3778 (2) resize.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF3777 (2) resize.JPG
    DSCF3777 (2) resize.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230224_135526.jpg
    20230224_135526.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 18

Aerialmark

Club Member
I have just put my Z back on the road after its winter break, it was going to be April but I couldn't wait ! I have Lanoguarded ( is that a word ? ) it underneath covering everything except the brakes and exhaust. My driveway and garage now smell like a farmyard because of it.Image 01-03-2023 at 15.52.jpgImage 01-03-2023 at 15.52 (1).jpg

I have also fitted new Tein suspension dampers and springs front and back I have kept the ride height the same as I didn't want to lower it. The adjustable suspension is a little flawed on the rear as you have to remove the dampers to adjust them so I set it to the middle for diddle setting and I am glad I did as that is quite hard and anymore may have been too much. The fronts can be done quite easily at the top of the strut. I have put new brake pads in all around and I've just got the 20mm spacers to fit now front and back and paint the callipers lime green (Ive already bought the kit ) and Im good to go.

yellowz

Club Member
I have just put my Z back on the road after its winter break, it was going to be April but I couldn't wait ! I have Lanoguarded ( is that a word ? ) it underneath covering everything except the brakes and exhaust. My driveway and garage now smell like a farmyard because of it.

I have also fitted new Tein suspension dampers and springs front and back I have kept the ride height the same as I didn't want to lower it. The adjustable suspension is a little flawed on the rear as you have to remove the dampers to adjust them so I set it to the middle for diddle setting and I am glad I did as that is quite hard and anymore may have been too much. The fronts can be done quite easily at the top of the strut. I have put new brake pads in all around and I've just got the 20mm spacers to fit now front and back and paint the callipers lime green (Ive already bought the kit ) and Im good to go.
All the Border Collie's will doing their nut thinking 'where's the sheep at' :rofl:

Aerialmark

Club Member
You're not kidding, I made the rookie mistake of pouring it from the 2ltr plastic tub it came in to the spray gun in the kitchen where I had it been standing in hot water. The smell was horrendous and lingered for a day or two ! Lesson learned, take the hot water to the garage when I do my Discovery and pour from there.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Fitted heat jacket to the manifold as I was getting a lot of heat in the engine bay and heat soak that was making the mechanical linkage stick when stationary or slow moving traffic, probably does not help as i have only have an electric fan but might move that over to the other side side of the radiator if it does not interfere with my crank position sensor so that when it kicks in it is blowing down the exhaust side of the engine. Also fitted some new stickers on my car.

Attachments

• IMG-20230319-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230319-WA0003.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20230319-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230319-WA0001.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20230319_115544.jpg
    IMG_20230319_115544.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 39

Huw

Club Member
Fitted heat jacket to the manifold as I was getting a lot of heat in the engine bay and heat soak that was making the mechanical linkage stick when stationary or slow moving traffic, probably does not help as i have only have an electric fan but might move that over to the other side side of the radiator if it does not interfere with my crank position sensor so that when it kicks in it is blowing down the exhaust side of the engine. Also fitted some new stickers on my car.
That’s one clean engine bay Moggy. Love that Tamiya sticker👍

Lovinit

Club Member
So I managed to get my newly acquired non running 240 started! Got it even cheaper because it was a non runner, but it turns out it has an S.D.S standalone ECU. A little bit of fettling- a few checks and it coughed into life.. and it’s sounds swwweeeettttt!! So happy that it starts… it means nothing with the journey I have in front but of me, but I’ll take every win!

Can’t embed the video, so just added a still of the puff of exhaust smoke!

On insta at J_chung81 if anyone wants to see any updates that way! (Not just z stuff though, other toys too!)6165D9DE-8A86-4A1E-83F6-841D9FC9B108.jpeg