Uprated arms - necessary when lowered?

MCBladeRun

Club Member
this is the ball joint thing I meant:
it goes with one conventional bush.
you can just use two std bushes, they're soft enough to be safe but the ball joint improves the design IMO.
Have you installed this Jon? I've installed on mine but not got the car back on the road yet - to be honest, I probably wouldn't know the difference specifically because I've revamped the whole suspension and not just the one part.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Have you installed this Jon? I've installed on mine but not got the car back on the road yet - to be honest, I probably wouldn't know the difference specifically because I've revamped the whole suspension and not just the one part.
yes, I've had them on my 260 for years. they make a huge difference - I had to upgrade my front ARB as a result because the compression rod was no longer working as an additional ARB

MCBladeRun

Club Member
yes, I've had them on my 260 for years. they make a huge difference - I had to upgrade my front ARB as a result because the compression rod was no longer working as an additional ARB
Sorry Jon, you mean because your original rods failed, you had to upgrade the front ARB as a result?

Or do you mean that by upgrading the rods, the ARB also needed upgrading?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I mean, with the standard config on the rods (with poly bushes) , they also act to resist roll. swapping to those ball joints means they no longer do that, which means a bit more roll which lead me to want a bigger anti roll bar (or two anti roll bars as I originally had it!)

MCBladeRun

Club Member
I mean, with the standard config on the rods (with poly bushes) , they also act to resist roll. swapping to those ball joints means they no longer do that, which means a bit more roll which lead me to want a bigger anti roll bar (or two anti roll bars as I originally had it!)
Got you. I was going to get a bar on the rears and I think most often you can get them in front and rear as a pair/set.

Thanks Jon

Sorry to hijack the thread with questions lads 👍

Robotsan

Club Member
this is the ball joint thing I meant:
it goes with one conventional bush.
you can just use two std bushes, they're soft enough to be safe but the ball joint improves the design IMO.

Thanks Jon, may as well go with the upgrade, its cheap enough.

So I'm planning to make this order from MSA (got parts coming over in a car!):

SKU: 23-4303 x 2 ($31.96) - Front control arm bushings
SKU: 23-4310 x 2 ($53.74) - Rear control arm bushings - front
SKU: 23-4312 x 2 ($53.74) - Rear control arm bushings - rear
SKU: 23-4190 x 1 ($34.95) - Tension Rod T/C Kit
SKU: 23-4321 x 2 ($19.94) - Tension Rod Bushings
SKU: 23-4572 x 2 ($17.94) - Stub axle nuts

Should that cover it, if I'm using polybushes for the rest of the car?

Cheers

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks Jon, may as well go with the upgrade, its cheap enough.

So I'm planning to make this order from MSA (got parts coming over in a car!):

SKU: 23-4303 x 2 ($31.96) - Front control arm bushings
SKU: 23-4310 x 2 ($53.74) - Rear control arm bushings - front
SKU: 23-4312 x 2 ($53.74) - Rear control arm bushings - rear
SKU: 23-4190 x 1 ($34.95) - Tension Rod T/C Kit
SKU: 23-4321 x 2 ($19.94) - Tension Rod Bushings
SKU: 23-4572 x 2 ($17.94) - Stub axle nuts

Should that cover it, if I'm using polybushes for the rest of the car?

Cheers
I'd say so

Thanks, so 4 in total then.

Ha, I'm not opening that debate - I'm just following @Alphabettispaghetti 's advice above to go poly everywhere but stock on the control arms.

I have a full poly bush kit, but not 100% sure how many bushes we'll be able to change in my garage. @richiep has advised we won't be able to get the control arms off without dropping the diff, and that's a bit much to be doing in that little garage with no lift.

So whatever bushes we can change will be what we change.

Oh no. I wouldn’t go poly everywhere!

Oh. I thought you were saying above to just put stock bushes on the arms? By that I assumed that's the only place you were suggesting to go stock, if the rest were poly. Is that not what you meant?

I’m be got it written down somewhere from a guy that builds/maintains a couple of hscc cars. I think it’s poly only on the forward inner rear control arms bush. I’ll try and find it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I had poly all round on my trackday car that I drove many miles on the road and it was fine. New rubber bushes would be fine though on a road car.

I'm guessing that having a mixture on an HSCC car might be a way of affecting 'toe' under certain conditions?

Does the fixed rear control arms adjust from stress in race conditions enough to affect the toe in? Being HSCC, they'd be running the same standard set up?
Standard arms I believe. although I wouln't be surprised if some have been discreetly modified. fully adjustable setups like apex sell wont' make you any faster around the track.

johnymd

Club Member
Thanks, so 4 in total then.

Ha, I'm not opening that debate - I'm just following @Alphabettispaghetti 's advice above to go poly everywhere but stock on the control arms.

I have a full poly bush kit, but not 100% sure how many bushes we'll be able to change in my garage. @richiep has advised we won't be able to get the control arms off without dropping the diff, and that's a bit much to be doing in that little garage with no lift.

So whatever bushes we can change will be what we change.
Plus the 4 outers on the rear. Just 2 up front.