EFI Fettling - Part 1 Inlet Mods

Huw

Club Member
With the car in storage for the winter and in need of some car fettling, I thought I would start a little experiment thread to see how far I can push the performance of the stock EFI system before it needs upgrading. I want to keep the engine looking as stock as possible (I might have blown that with the over application of blue silicon hoses and gold zinc coatings) but squeeze as much extra performance out of the original components before having to replace the ECU and everything else. Replacement of the EFI system with a modern ECU and gubbins would be a far easier path to performance upgrades, but where is the fun in that!

Having upgraded the distributor, cam, head and exhaust system already, I will be looking to improve air flow into the engine and improve the range of fuel mix, currently only fine adjustment to enriched or lean the mix.

1. Breathe

So first off I want the ZX to breathe a little better. The current inlet manifold runners are highly restrictive and one of the biggest bottle necks for air flow. Opening them up isn’t possible as the castings is so thin, the only answer is to replace the stock inlet manifold with a performance one but that will mean upgrading the ECU as the stock one doesn’t play well with improved air volume. Plus that would break my ‘keep it stock look’ experiment. So rather that increase the volume I’m going to see what improved flow will do for the engine. I will touch on air filters later.

l also want to get the throttle response a bit snappier. A nice (not silly) big throttle body should help. Contrary to popular myth a big throttle body will not create extra horses for this set up, but it should make the throttle response better. With that in mind I have got a Borla 60mm throttle body cheap off eBay. It needed some modification to allow a take off for the valve case breather and a bypass for setting the idle. Just need to make a bracket to mount the throttle position switch and it’s ready.

09658523-7E99-4C16-A814-3C81690582D1.jpeg

4DC9A8F3-D0CE-41F6-B57B-B7D4742F08DC.jpeg

68F94F2D-755E-4E13-9D5D-C6AF76D669CD.jpeg

Next on the list is to improve the airflow within the manifold. Having spent hours porting and polishing the head, Im going to smooth out the internal surfaces of the inlet. So I have got a turbo inlet from a kind forum member (thanks Steve) as the runners are slightly bigger. It’s all marked up and ready for surgery. Need to cut it open to smooth out the castings and plug unwanted bolt holes. Also going to cut off and seal up the anti smog channel. Once smoothed and polished, it will be brazed back together as it’s easier than welding. Only one thing left undecided, do I remove the webbing between the runners or keep them. Removing them should help reduce heat-soak but will detract from the stock look.

6B67C85C-F2D9-4E15-8F56-8E22E29CAAB9.jpeg

7079B962-1DA9-44B9-97BD-A1EC0DC268F4.jpeg

3795EC7C-16E2-4528-AB95-01FCE878F17D.jpeg
AB22077E-6502-45C4-A7FE-E3E960B69532.jpeg

So let the cutting beginning!

candy red

Club Member
With the car in storage for the winter and in need of some car fettling, I thought I would start a little experiment thread to see how far I can push the performance of the stock EFI system before it needs upgrading. I want to keep the engine looking as stock as possible (I might have blown that with the over application of blue silicon hoses and gold zinc coatings) but squeeze as much extra performance out of the original components before having to replace the ECU and everything else. Replacement of the EFI system with a modern ECU and gubbins would be a far easier path to performance upgrades, but where is the fun in that!

Having upgraded the distributor, cam, head and exhaust system already, I will be looking to improve air flow into the engine and improve the range of fuel mix, currently only fine adjustment to enriched or lean the mix.

1. Breathe

So first off I want the ZX to breathe a little better. The current inlet manifold runners are highly restrictive and one of the biggest bottle necks for air flow. Opening them up isn’t possible as the castings is so thin, the only answer is to replace the stock inlet manifold with a performance one but that will mean upgrading the ECU as the stock one doesn’t play well with improved air volume. Plus that would break my ‘keep it stock look’ experiment. So rather that increase the volume I’m going to see what improved flow will do for the engine. I will touch on air filters later.

l also want to get the throttle response a bit snappier. A nice (not silly) big throttle body should help. Contrary to popular myth a big throttle body will not create extra horses for this set up, but it should make the throttle response better. With that in mind I have got a Borla 60mm throttle body cheap off eBay. It needed some modification to allow a take off for the valve case breather and a bypass for setting the idle. Just need to make a bracket to mount the throttle position switch and it’s ready.

View attachment 55623

View attachment 55622

View attachment 55624

Next on the list is to improve the airflow within the manifold. Having spent hours porting and polishing the head, Im going to smooth out the internal surfaces of the inlet. So I have got a turbo inlet from a kind forum member (thanks Steve) as the runners are slightly bigger. It’s all marked up and ready for surgery. Need to cut it open to smooth out the castings and plug unwanted bolt holes. Also going to cut off and seal up the anti smog channel. Once smoothed and polished, it will be brazed back together as it’s easier than welding. Only one thing left undecided, do I remove the webbing between the runners or keep them. Removing them should help reduce heat-soak but will detract from the stock look.

View attachment 55631

View attachment 55630

View attachment 55632
View attachment 55633

So let the cutting beginning!
Sounds interesting Huw good luck I will be waiting for you progress updates 😎

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Recently ran one of those manifolds up on the rollers (It’s very restrictive ).Same engine gained best part of 30hp swapping to
itbs .

Mark N

Club Member
There was a thread on Hybridz that compared the intake runner size of the N42 and P82 (280ZX) NA plenums against the ZXT variant.
On average there was a 4% increase in cross sectional area.
You also have to bear in mind that the AFM is restricting the air flow upstream of any improvements you are hoping to make.

Reactions: Huw

Huw

Club Member
That’s a good point Mark. The AFM flap will need trimming back but there is little else that can be done to that component. It is a limiting factor as you rightly point out but from what I’ve researched less so than believed. The inlet runners are the real choke point. There maybe very little gain in doing this experiment to improve flow into the head (extra volume is not possible). But I just want to see for myself and to see if what is reported across the pond is actually right or not. Plus it keeps me busy 😋

Huw

Club Member
Bit of progress so far. Inlet is now cut open, opened up the inlet opening to match the new throttle body as much as possible. Its not possible to completely match the throttle body opening as the material around the base of the neck of the inlet opening is very thin, so you need to be careful with the cutting burrs at this point. I've removed all the erroneous lumps out of the plenum chamber and removed all the casting marks in the runners and smoothed them out. There are a series of holes in the inlet runners that are only visible when the top is cut off the anti smog channel. These need plugging, I've tapped the holes and used M10 grub screws that will be sealed with a drop of JB Weld once the inlet is brazed back together. Just the plenum chamber to complete the surface finish.

51E2C3BA-315B-4AC1-88A9-42F7AF3AD39F.jpeg
6F978041-FB27-41F8-91E8-33134FBDE4D3.jpeg
3765E12E-ACB2-436E-BEDB-1CF3C4278BF3.jpeg
AF61CF25-74DA-443B-A059-6FC180C047DB.jpeg
5EE8F7B6-3C65-44E1-A737-222B73F0A271.jpeg

candy red

Club Member
this point. I've removed all the erroneous lumps out of the
Bit of progress so far. Inlet is now cut open, opened up the inlet opening to match the new throttle body as much as possible. Its not possible to completely match the throttle body opening as the material around the base of the neck of the inlet opening is very thin, so you need to be careful with the cutting burrs at this point. I've removed all the erroneous lumps out of the plenum chamber and removed all the casting marks in the runners and smoothed them out. There are a series of holes in the inlet runners that are only visible when the top is cut off the anti smog channel. These need plugging, I've tapped the holes and used M10 grub screws that will be sealed with a drop of JB Weld once the inlet is brazed back together. Just the plenum chamber to complete the surface finish.

View attachment 56672
View attachment 56671
View attachment 56674
View attachment 56673
View attachment 56676
Looks very interesting Huw how much gain are you hoping for after all this work ?

Huw

Club Member
Hi Derrick. Not sure to be honest. It’s just an experiment so will see once it’s running on the rolling road.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Huw, has there never been an aftermarket inlet and single AFM produced?

Modify something like this?

Attachments

• 2bbl mods p53 4v.jpg
    2bbl mods p53 4v.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Huw

Club Member
Yes Rob there are several performance inlet manifold options available, you would ditch the AFM and replace the ECU with something more trick. But to be honest it would be cheaper and more beneficial to junk the lot and go the injection throttle body route. Not something I want or can afford to do….. just yet anyway

This is just for fun to see what gains can be made out of the stock system without replacing key components and keeping the cost as close to naff all as possible.