Racing steering wheels

Robbie J

Club Member
One of the tuning shops in Japan has several racing steering wheels for sale, look nearly new one has the leather finish like the re-pops but another had suede. He wanted around £770 for the suede one and £630 for the stock one. The repops are £300....

I liked the suede one am I overpaying?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Are they retrimmed original comp wheels? seems a bit pricey, but where else are you going to get one?
I had my 260 wheel retrimmed a couple of mm thicker for £220 I think it was.

Minksport

Club Member
Are those some g nose headlight covers with chrome surrounds? I wonder how much? I could do with some of those beauties.

Robbie J

Club Member
We only had 20mins because we had to get the Hire car back. I will hopefully go back and get some better pictures.

the door handles where £200 as a ref. Each badge and emblem varied some were OK in price.

On the steering wheel he implied it was made like that??

Prices on this in yen
1673818232968.png
1673818283662.png
1673818342879.png

Robbie J

Club Member
Are those some g nose headlight covers with chrome surrounds? I wonder how much? I could do with some of those beauties.
not everything is priced and when we asked he said no for some things. If we go back I will ask, I suspect trying buy remotely is a no-no

1673820033176.png

is that the right ones?

1673819531059.png

Last edited:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
One of the tuning shops in Japan has several racing steering wheels for sale, look nearly new one has the leather finish like the re-pops but another had suede. He wanted around £770 for the suede one and £630 for the stock one. The repops are £300....
On the steering wheel he implied it was made like that??

If you're talking about the original Nissan Sports Option 'Datsun Competition' steering wheels (originally manufactured by Izumi), none of them were ever made with suede grips.

NISMO commissioned a real leather re-pop for their 10th Anniversary in 1994, along with a re-pop of the 'standard' moulded urethane 'leather look' grip. I bought one at the time with the intention of using it instead of my 1971-dated original to preserve it. Quite a few other people bought them and put them away, and they do come on the market from time to time.

However, there are now numerous Chinese-made copies on the market, alongside Chinese-made fakes complete with fake NISMO 10th Anniversary packaging. Buyer beware.

Where is this anyway? Is it JDS (Japan Datsun Service) in Gokanmecho, Yokohama? If so, I wouldn't buy anything from him. Usually silly prices on things you can get for much less elsewhere.

In any case, a suede-covered re-pop Datsun Compe steering wheel is like a steak and kidney pie served with custard. It is neither one thing nor the other. If that's what you really want, you can get an original OEM Izumi wheel cut down and re-trimmed in suede for a lot less than £770.

Robbie J

Club Member
the prices where all over the place... that said one of guys purchased a R32 GTR model that was 1/3 of the going rate... Its getting round to all of the shops while meeting the "GTR" mandate I was hired on to do

I will slip in another shop later today before we go to Nagoya

richiep

Club Member
KEW = heaven. I'd end up with a lot heavier luggage on the return trip if I went in there! And an epic credit card bill to pay!

It's on my to-do list when I finally get an opportunity to do Japan. As is a visit to Star Road.