Anyone tried these kick panel speaker mounts from MSA?

Robotsan

Club Member
Thinking about audio options in the future and came across this on Motorsport Auto / Zstore.

I like the fact it means no cutting up of original parts - just swap the old kick plates (over the 280z fuse box and same on other side) for these. Fully reversible too.

Just don't know if the Retrosound audio speakers that come with it would be worth having or not. There's not much room there so would have to be very shallow speakers, but at least I would know these would fit.

Screenshot_20230114-115445.png

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
so, I put modern electronics in my original radio, a subwoofer under the passenger seat and high quality speakers in the original position just behind the driver and passenger seats and guess what? I NEVER use it!!! It’s just too nice listening to the engine.

The only time I have used it is on a two hour drive to a track day but as a hands free kit! So ask yourself how quiet is your car ;)

I really like these, although never used them and the point I’m trying to make is they probably would sound better than the behind the seats speakers!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ah I see what you mean now. One thought, do you have any dimensions and could you mock something up in wood test run how much of a problem it would be?

Robotsan

Club Member
Haha Ali yeah I do see your point. But I love music too much, so I definitely want a good system in the Z. When I was dreaming of owning one I always pictured going for a drive in the countryside in it with Led Zep playing, so it's got to happen!

I had a chat with Romas earlier and he said don't bother with these panels as they get in the way of the clutch pedal on LHD cars. And as you say @Fairlineguy , probably the throttle pedal on RHDs.

He makes his own more slimline ones for that area though so it's doable, but he said even then it makes it trickier to put your foot on the rest.

received_724674182332468.jpeg
received_1354764895283575.jpeg
received_879709046808574.jpeg

atomman

Club Member
I like the Romas ones , I just used these they have a bit of an angle on them ,

I mounted them up high , don't even notice they are there,

toopy

Club Member
I suppose this is one of the advantages of having extra seats, if required i just throw a blue tooth speaker back there!

I can fully understand the wish for a good sound system, but when all said and done, in these cars and the amount of actual use, do they really need it?!

dotMorse

Club Member
Yes, I just laser cut 2 of them from some 5mm acrylic I have. If you want a set let me know and I can get some cut. Would be cheap enough to do. Around £25 a set discounted for members. Or I could batch do them for a bigger saving depending on demand.

Not sure what the rules are around selling as its not something I intended to do

Robotsan

Club Member
Yes, I just laser cut 2 of them from some 5mm acrylic I have. If you want a set let me know and I can get some cut. Would be cheap enough to do. Around £25 a set discounted for members. Or I could batch do them for a bigger saving depending on demand.

Not sure what the rules are around selling as its not something I intended to do

You know what, I probably would be interested in that. I take it there's no issues with vibrations or anything, seeing as there's no sort of padding or anything round there?
Those speakers look like the £30 ones I got from Halfords for the Mini recently, very decent for the price.

dotMorse

Club Member
I haven't run my car yet but shouldn't be in my opinion. I mounted them with some rubber spacer washers between the acrylic and metal structure. Just to protect against the worst of the vibrations. But at that size the 5mm acrylic is very sturdy. Could use a different material but that is what I had on hand.