Front Bumper - Respray or replace?

dooby

Club Member
Afternoon all (or to the few that read this part of the forum lol),

My front bumper has clearly been resprayed at some point, because it's not the correct pearl white like the rest of the car, though at a glance it's not really noticeable. Regardless, that's not the main issue. There's a spot (pic attached) where the paint has peeled, and I was wondering whether it'd be worth getting the entire bumper resprayed, or to just buy a replacement bumper.

1st question: How much would I be expecting to pay for a full bumper respray in pearl white? Since it's a 3-coat paint, am I going to be eating bags of discount rice for the next month or so?

2nd question: Does anyone know where I might find a replacement bumper? I'm not looking for a brand new Amuse or Stillen, just a replacement for mine, so either a standard pre or post facelift one. Since these forums mainly focus on the older Zeds, are there other forums I could look at for 2nd hand parts?

Thanks!

(Also pic attached of the car, as is the obligation)

Attachments

• chipped.jpg
    chipped.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 26
  • vroom.jpg
    vroom.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 26

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Perhaps just sell the car cheap to me?

Anyway I remember that I was told that it's hard to get white to look the same on metal and plastic. I've seen new cars with a slight difference. Moggy240 on here may be able to add to this?

I wouldn't buy a new bumper. That will give you a world of pain. Get it sprayed by a good bodyshop who guarantee their work.

Just my opinion.

Yes there are forums for 350/370. PaulS on here will advise you, he has a 370Z.

uk66fastback

Club Member
A couple of years ago after the wife scuffed the front spoiler on the Mini, I enquired as to a price for a respray. Including removal, repair and a repaint it was about £300 roughly. I think that was sans VAT though …

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
A couple of years ago after the wife scuffed the front spoiler on the Mini, I enquired as to a price for a respray. Including removal, repair and a repaint it was about £300 roughly. I think that was sans VAT though …
But surely this doesn't require removal or repair? Where are Moggy240 and MrExjnr when you need them?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Depends. If the edges of it are close to other panels, removal by those used to doing it is probably easier than having to mask it and bring the whole car into the booth etc.

If the paint has started to peel, then some ‘repair‘ is needed.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
A good bodyshop would be able to sort that. The only thing I would be concerned with is, why has it done that, is the paint peeling or has it been damaged as can't really see if there are stress cracks in the paint where the bumper has flexed.
A good bodyshop would probably want to remove the bumper to repair and paint it.
Hopefully the rest of the car is still the original paint.

dooby

Club Member
A good bodyshop would be able to sort that. The only thing I would be concerned with is, why has it done that, is the paint peeling or has it been damaged as can't really see if there are stress cracks in the paint where the bumper has flexed.
A good bodyshop would probably want to remove the bumper to repair and paint it.
Hopefully the rest of the car is still the original paint.
Yeah the rest of the car is original, it's literally just the front bumper that's been resprayed at some point. That spot was there when I bought the car and it hasn't continued to peel, so I'm not too concerned about an underlying issue.