If you had to drive just one car for the rest of your life ….

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
… what would you choose?

I’ve often wondered about this and I nearly always come back to a McLaren F1!!! I can’t begin to go into the reasons without filling a whole page of the forum. But it was simply so far ahead of its competitors in EVERY department!

And for those other days when the F1 isn’t for sale, it HAS to be the LFA! Oooh that sound, that engine and its revvy nature!! It’s not an engine note, it’s a mating call.

This is a great video.

So, what’s your one car for life and why?

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Tough for me, I always thought meeting your heroes would ruin the fantasy.

Dodge Viper GTS coupé in viper blue with white go faster stripes. The double bubble.

Was coming home from scouts in my youth and one passed our bus on the motorway. At the time, only 50 were in the UK. Around 1996 that was.

Attachments

• 1996-dodge-viper-gts-coupe-drivers-front.jpg
    1996-dodge-viper-gts-coupe-drivers-front.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 2

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Being serious, I don't think modified, sporty cars are the best for daily use. I had a 370Z as my only car for 5 years (80k miles) but I was paying a lot in fuel, tyres etc to travel at the same speed as everyone else on our roads. Classics are the best but as second cars. Cheap to run and some appreciate in value. My 370Z went for just £12k and it was in superb condition.

So if I had to drive just one car I'd probably have my current Volvo estate. The spare money would be spent on a trackday car where I could enjoy the performance and challenge myself.

Another type of driving I like is just exploring the narrow lanes of Wales or the Peak District. Not driving fast but just being in twisty lanes in remote places. It reminds me of my road-rallying days. So perhaps a mild rally Subaru or Evo. 4wd with high ground clearance, sump-guard etc and chunky tyres. That could double as a daily, 4 doors, 4/5 seats and a boot.

A Nissan GTR would be 'nice' but too big for the lanes.

Last edited:

yellowz

Club Member
So just turn the numbers round and you are close......................................... I thought I was late, I bought my first Z in 1986!

Mini 1275GT as long as I never had to do the shopping or go to the tip in it, no-one was allowed to crash into me and I never had to take the Mother in Law anywhere. Never had so much fun in a small box.

Robotsan

Club Member
My E46 M3 does a pretty good job at everything - looks great, sounds great (now it's got the carbon intake!), fast enough to be a lot of fun without being ridiculous, does 33 mpg on the motorway, has actual back seats 3 adults can sit in, the back seats fold down so you can fit enough in the boot to go camping, isn't too low for speedbumps.

PXL_20210531_171448242.MP.jpg

Having said all that, I am thinking of selling it 😂 Mainly because I'm too precious about it - always scared of people hitting it (people always bump my cars in car parks), and I only use it for the 4 or 5 months of the year when the weather is ok up north, and I'm fearing the expensive bills in the future for things like the boot floor. Plus my partner won't drive any of my 3 cars (not even the R53 Mini), so thinking of selling both and going halves on a 2015 ish M135i with her! More practical, less scary maintenance and almost as quick. Perfect balance for my impending middle age!

Ian

Club Member
If its a daily then I'm not sure.

But if it was my fun car we are talking about then I'd have to say my S30. Looks great, its not common, sounds great, feels awesome to drive, better power to weight than a lambo Murcielago and was built into what it is by myself.

I was offered one for £23k a few years back but had no where to put it - kinda regretting that one
Sorry, Surely theres not a chance someone was selling an NSX-R for £23k, more likely a regular NSX?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If its a daily then I'm not sure.

But if it was my fun car we are talking about then I'd have to say my S30. Looks great, its not common, sounds great, feels awesome to drive, better power to weight than a lambo Murcielago and was built into what it is by myself.

Sorry, Surely theres not a chance someone was selling an NSX-R for £23k, more likely a regular NSX?
Yes missed the R sorry it was a standard one!