Too modified = Q plate ( DVLA)

arcdef

Club Member
You don’t need to hit modern safety for an Iva. That’s just how a caterham gets passed. We’ve one of the most flexible systems in the world for home made cars.
After reading the gov website it seems that a kit car is allowed a more basic test than a modified car so I'm not sure this flexibility would apply?Screenshot_20230108-090915.png

uk66fastback

Club Member
Didn’t the article say the guy with the electric Mini said it would cost £20,000 to get it through an IVA? I know nobody wants a car with a Q plate as there’s a bit of a stigma attached to them, but the car’s the same car at the end of the day.

arcdef

Club Member
Didn’t the article say the guy with the electric Mini said it would cost £20,000 to get it through an IVA? I know nobody wants a car with a Q plate as there’s a bit of a stigma attached to them, but the car’s the same car at the end of the day.
Would it really cost that much though? What exactly would be needed to get a car to pass?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So you guys got me thinking “how would my car fare against the IVA test”?

I can see how I have a couple of exposed positive electrical connections on the starter motor (probably a good thing to address), lacking a fog lamp (but I’m not convinced they enforce that if it didn’t come out of the factory with one) and I can’t imagine them testing emissions beyond visual inspection.

Having read the above, can you see anything that would fail your Z?

There’s no way it would. He’s not even bothered trying. Just moans about it everywhere. He’s messed up as he and the ‘pro’ who did it with him didn’t read the simple documentation.

Just to add, he could get a new plate. Or age related.

So you guys got me thinking “how would my car fare against the IVA test”?

I can see how I have a couple of exposed positive electrical connections on the starter motor (probably a good thing to address), lacking a fog lamp (but I’m not convinced they enforce that if it didn’t come out of the factory with one) and I can’t imagine them testing emissions beyond visual inspection.

Having read the above, can you see anything that would fail your Z?

Your 260z wouldn’t pass as it wasn’t designed to. However it wouldn’t be nuts to get it to. There’s no need though as you’d not be required to have one.

Most cars thst go for one are covered in trim elements just to pass the projection and sharps elements.

By that do you mean a private plate, just like anyone could do?

No, done properly, it could have an age related plate based on donor parts(points based), or if he used a ‘new’ mini shell and mostly new components it’d be given a plate on the date of registration, so 72 plate etc.

The category of car I really am confused by when it comes to this regulation is the electric converted classic cars which are costing hundreds of thousands. These all have substantial mods to take the extra weight.

Should they all be Q plates?

depends on whether its had chassis mods

johnymd

Club Member
Very interesting subject and one which we will all have different views. I find it very interesting that an engine swap has the least effect on the car no longer being considered historic but drill a hole in the baulkhead and its pretty much a non historic Q-plate car.

Huw

Club Member
I find it all a little difficult to credit, I’m sure it is true but still. As a big fan of vintage and veteran cars, I’ve assisted builds where there is little original chassis or coach work left on the vehicle and have had to work with patterns to create ‘new’. The end result may have over 80% of the car ‘not‘ as originally built but who the hell would know unless you got the drawings out (If indeed they still exist). Never had a problem with inspections and the DVLA up until now. Maybe veteran cars have less strenuous testing and inspections? Maybe worth checking before embarking on a new barn find project…..

Last edited: