Most experienced l6 machine shop?

Healey 12

Club Member
These guys have a well set up machine shop and engineering business < they also have a foundry to make blocks and cranks form scratch. I think his dad raced a Samuri back in the day .

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Thanks Neil. have you used anyone else local?
I’ve my engine block in being rebored at DY engineering at the moment hence I came to realise that Dave there is heavy into Nissan engines .
Once I pick it up next week I’m off to basset down balancing with everything to be balanced they will balance pistons,rods,crank,flywheel ,clutch etc

I’ve my engine block in being rebored at DY engineering at the moment hence I came to realise that Dave there is heavy into Nissan engines .
Once I pick it up next week I’m off to basset down balancing with everything to be balanced they will balance pistons,rods,crank,flywheel ,clutch etc

A local guy who uses tipton garages rolling road recommend the below, its where all their race engines go.

Seems there's lots of options. Thanks.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Let me check with FIL re. the one in Chard! It’s a very small community down there and it’s within 5 miles of my in-laws.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Alphabettispaghetti, Gosnays in east London have a torque plate for boring, they made one up for my engine over bore many years ago. Whether they still have it...

Generally here- Knowing what I know now, going with a machine shop with experience on L6 is a bonus, and knowing they aren't talking out of their bleep is paramount. Knowing the stuff required yourself helps you make sure you know what is going on. Even using an "expert" on other engines doesn't fill me with confidence, considering what I have seen in the last few months with regards to L6 engine builds.

Historically, as we only got about 5000 (ish) S30's back in the day, most disappeared (rust) before any sort engine work, let alone performance work. So, there has been very few places that had worked on a S30, let alone in the numbers of engine builds to give confidence in engine performance work. And some of those have turned out to be "not very good".

So, general engine machining, use someone that has a good reputation, you have a good feel about. I am not a fan of places (engine builders) that farm the machine work out to others, I prefer the "in house" approach, so everything is much more done as one unit.

Performance work,....? that is a whole different kettle of fish.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Also, a thing often overlooked, is how well the machine shop look after/service/grease/oil their kit. With fine tolerances with the machine work, a bit of kit that is a few thou off, isn't going to cut it. I have seen a workshop covered in swarf, and the flat machined part, was no where near flat, due to the not flatness (worn- not greased) of the said machine, even though it was set to machine flat.

Also, a thing often overlooked, is how well the machine shop look after/service/grease/oil their kit. With fine tolerances with the machine work, a bit of kit that is a few thou off, isn't going to cut it. I have seen a workshop covered in swarf, and the flat machined part, was no where near flat, due to the not flatness (worn- not greased) of the said machine, even though it was set to machine flat.

Agreed, you get a ‘feel’ for a place. The place in chard gave me that warm feeling. Not a YouTube star, proper ex wrc and sports cars engine man. Clean equipment(in pics), builds 150bhp 1 ltr engines, welds cylinder heads and has a flow bench etc. I’m going to go for a visit. Ideally it’d be within 90mins of Exeter just so it’s not a full day out to look at something. Saying that, I’ll travel for the right service

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member

Seems there's lots of options. Thanks.
Heard back from Father in Law in Devon - things move slowly down in the Westcountry you know! :p

He says the firm is round the corner and they have an EXCELLENT reputation often building racing and very high spec engines.