Sharing info

I agree to a point, if your running a business showing what you started with and what you ended up with is exactly what people want to see. Telling everyone exactly how you achieved it makes no sense whatsoever.

I was referencing the zfarm previously, I'd happily spend cash at fourways.

The time needed to do it, as per Acemans build is what people will not want to do(most likely). Materials aren't much, its time/speed.

toopy

Club Member
buying bits on the forum to then trade onwards is what gets my goat, it gets others also.
So buying something that needs work to make it presentable, an old wood rimmed steering wheel or cam cover for example, taking the time and effort to restore to a high standard, and then selling on to someone who has neither the time or skills to do it themselves, for lets face it is pocket money. Whats wrong with that? It happens every day in pretty much every car club!

Last edited:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Romas, Alan, Dave J and others don't share their secrets......be real.
Alan shares info but not 'how-tos' and why should he....

I'm slightly intrigued as to what "secrets" I might not be sharing (???), not to mention what "how-tos" I'm sitting on.

I'm pretty good with pasta sauces and I've perfected a great Tagine recipe using Ras al Hanout. Any takers?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Calm down guys, since when has it been a condition of membership that you tell people how to do things? How much you share with people is a personal thing and very much up to you. Some love sharing info hence all the youtube videos we enjoy but others are more private.

Personally I have done some big jobs on my Zs but to share it all would be a big task in itself. I just don't have the motivation to do it but some people love to describe everything and I enjoy read/watching it - so I'm guilty too.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
2023 is just a few hours away why dont everybody make a new year resolution and all help to return to friendly way the club used to be and maybe just maybe more Z owners both old and new would start to use the clubs page a lot more
Oh and wishing everybody a happy new year

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
2023 is just a few hours away why dont everybody make a new year resolution and all help to return to friendly way the club used to be and maybe just maybe more Z owners both old and new would start to use the clubs page a lot more
Needs a friendly, sociable Chairman/woman......lots of love from HBs.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I agree with people making a living out of it keeping some things private, but if you’re doing it as part of a resto of your own car then it’s nice to show what you did, how and with what.

As Rob said, it takes time and motivation to do that though.

toopy

Club Member
The amount of info shared on here is pretty ...well, informative I'd say, with the occasional gold nugget of history/specifications thrown in by Alan, i think we all do rather well out of it to be honest. Some of the restoration threads on here and others like the '123 ignition thread' are outstanding as far as sharing is concerned. :thumbs:
:)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You ask Alan questions all the time, a lot of the time, the same questions again and again. Part of being part of a club/forum is sharing.
I'm slightly intrigued as to what "secrets" I might not be sharing (???), not to mention what "how-tos" I'm sitting on.
To be fair, the original posts have been 'cleaned up' so don't take things out of context - Jason quoted you as sharing when the subject was sharing info on 'how-tos'.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
To be fair, the original posts have been 'cleaned up' so don't take things out of context - Jason quoted you as sharing when the subject was sharing info on 'how-tos'.

More weaseling from you. You take my post out of context and then tell me not to take my reply out of context.

I quoted two posts from you:

see.jpg
See?

Probably not.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Steve, all the best for 2023. To be honest we have had some pretty turbulant times in the passed. I don't think it's any worse these days, in fact the opposite - we just have the occassional flare up in an emotive Thread.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
More weaseling from you. You take my post out of context and then tell me not to take my reply out of context.
NOT at all - peoples remaining posts on view have been modified by the moderators so yes, all can be taken out of context when quoting.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Yes well said, I’ve always found everyone without exception both helpful and friendly during last 18months.
I’ll leave you with a photo of my most recent restoration - the result of taking a ‘committee’ approach to car building
Happy New Year everyone!

Attachments

• 7229C4FE-E01D-47F2-9F5D-1C1BFEDDC4BC.png
    7229C4FE-E01D-47F2-9F5D-1C1BFEDDC4BC.png
    532.7 KB · Views: 19

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No Sean it needs friendly, social members who can see 'other's' points of view.

I don't think we have a 'Club wide' issue.
Thanks Rob - what is the insinuation please and surely creative debate is how some begin to see others' points of view - just being told 'this is it' is tyranny ? :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sean one person can't hope to dictate behaviour.
Totally agreed - it's a forum and who's dictating, certainly not me ? Dictate and debate are seperate.

In the absence of a realistic list, I've suggested that an individual lead a think-tank to produce a definitive listing of cars this club recognises as genuine Samuri cars built by both owners of Samuri Conversions Ltd out of Silverstone. I would happily assist.

In the past, I've proposed my help to obtain and list those reductions as can be had from suppliers of parts and services (including me) for club members : list the advantages available but without the codes etc so as to attract more full-members.

Club discounts

The Z club gets discounted tickets to key national shows and events (e.g. Japfest, Donington Historic etc) as well as other discounts with some suppliers such as Opie Oils…………….sadly out of date and impossible to see by potentiel full-members.

Sharing such contacts IS what a club is about so I don’t understand why my offer wasn’t taken up ; nor do I understand why this club of ours has no chairperson………I've suggested in my post that the club required a chairperson....this cannot be viewed as an attack on the committee or ortherwise any idea good or bad proposed by anyone will always been seen as some personal attack on a small group of overtaxed individuals (see list below) holding this club together - where is the new blood to share the jobs ?

These are the brave souls and I hope asking for help won’t imply to some that there are services lacking……

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer

jonbills
Membership Secretary

moggy240
Insurance Valuations Officer

Mr Tenno
Digital Officer

Rob Gaskin
Treasurer

Woody being on his world travels again J

------------------------------------------------

I would also suggest that people join/are invited onto the committee to share workload and take on new tasks such as :

A tri-annual newsletter (double-sided A4) emailed or sent via PM to all forum members and posted to those paid-up members with no forum action since 3x months.

« no magazine since 15yrs and no history recorded since 2008 »

https://zclub.net/club-history/ Fill in the blanks since 2008 !

I guess it’s inevitable that some will want to see this as club-bashing, personal attack however I would ask to step back and ask yourselves what does Sean want for the club of which he’s been involved and loyal to for 33yrs….. ?

Ruin or improve it ?

It takes all sorts chaps and I’m a (frustrated sometimes) doer, not just a talker.

Happy New Year.