What did you do to your Z this week?

candy red

Club Member
Went into my garage to check how wet everything was going to be 😬
Good news everything bone dry dust on the roof even the mig gas bottle 🤓
My garage has cavity wall filled with Celotex insulation,garage door insulated roof not insulated but breathable felt membrane under the slates no heater but even last weeks cold spell still was cold in the garage 😉14E41F1E-B4B9-4C10-BC49-9E6A5049FF51.jpeg

Attachments

• 796F2E68-E47E-40D2-977F-431A6F6804C2.jpeg
    796F2E68-E47E-40D2-977F-431A6F6804C2.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 22

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Went into my garage to check how wet everything was going to be 😬
Good news everything bone dry dust on the roof even the mig gas bottle 🤓
My garage has cavity wall filled with Celotex insulation,garage door insulated roof not insulated but breathable felt membrane under the slates no heater but even last weeks cold spell still was cold in the garage 😉View attachment 55027
Why no roof insulation Derrick? isn't that where all the heat goes?

richiep

Club Member
No, there is a decent air flow through the barn, cars never get wet, I'd be more worried about mice. The farm cat is useless.
Is my shell nice and dry and still in the Airchamber? EXTRA:D
Yes, it looks beautiful and pristine in the Airchamber! Along with the assortment of Dixie's bodyshop-ready panels that are arrayed around it!

I did set the dehumidifier running on Sunday, so that might've added some extra airflow around my Z!

I've not actually seen much sign of the mice in there recently. There was a spate of executions via mousetrap during the summer though...

I should take our cat over for a holiday there - she'd have a whale of a time. Death on four legs.

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
As usual, nothing done to the car other than a couple of pics.

She's been on the drive since late October as I no longer use the on bloc garage i rented just down the road (for the last 5 years). £1000 a year which I've decided i need in my bank not someone else's, searching on line apparently what i was paying was on the cheaper side too. You can barely get a shed for that now!
And all in time for some of the wettest and now coldest weather for quite a while :rolleyes:

A not so sunny sunroof!

View attachment 54983
View attachment 54984
I built the shed I have for 1k mate and it dry in There could maybe build sumert there for it wood temporary structure too :)

richiep

Club Member
Managed to get my increasingly ailing iPhone to take a couple of pics of recent activity:
4142101E-FB92-4720-A374-F7BF07872D22.jpeg
6DE25BA1-EE92-49AB-A280-579696571ABD.jpeg

I’m in the process of scuffing it all down at the mo ready for additional coats as the Raptor is relatively thin and the primer was a pale grey (should’ve done a dark grey or black wet-on-wet epoxy coat tbh). Very happy with the texture as comes out of a 2.5mm HVLP gun.

While I wait for warmer, less wet weather to resume spraying, I got started on a side project - the 18RG twin cam build for the Celica:
158D3818-0126-47B3-AA63-B977FBACC315.jpeg

A9E463A0-A61B-4A24-9587-79FE5406E74F.jpeg
Second pic is the ported, prepped head for switching onto the block. Head just needs the Kameari valve guides installing and then I can begin assembly. Cams are Cat Cams rally spec. Lots of uprated goodies from Kameari and Sleeka Spares in Oz.

The bottom end needs serious cleaning and will be bored out to 2.2L with 11:1CR Kameari pistons. Everything will be balanced of course.

Carbs will be SK/OER 45s on a ported intake with my own special brew of custom linkage and cable throttle.

Exhaust manifold will be Fujitsubo Super EX, mating up to the stainless system I had made for the current single cam engine by JP Exhausts.

After this engine is built, it’ll be straight onto the 3.1 L-gata…

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
As God kindly jet washed the salt off the roads of late and we’ve had a couple of dry days here, I though I would take the Z out for her first outing in months and get some Z SAD therapy. a few things stuck me:

1. I had forgotten how raw it feels compared to the Audis / anything modern.

2. She was not happy until a good 5 miles in - I guess pretty coked up from all that warming up in the driveway business. I was only decoking it officer!

3. It reminded of SOOO many jobs to do I closed the garage door on in the last year! It never ends :p

A WORD OF WARNING:

I’ve had this a couple of times when I haven’t driven the car for some time. Pulling out of the petrol station (0.5 mile away), the rear wheels were spinning away without me booting it. I imagine a surface layer of rubber had gone off and needed peeling off to get to the grippy stuff - officer!

Oh and I have slightly lighter head due to fumes coming in on the boot rubber I have dislodged :p

Stripped the engine

Bqnqe5h.jpg

suMiVZo.jpg

Then got some of the 'new' internals out

MP1f2XY.jpg

my hands look much older than when I joined the forum!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
As God kindly jet washed the salt off the roads of late and we’ve had a couple of dry days here, I though I would take the Z out for her first outing in months and get some Z SAD therapy. a few things stuck me:

1. I had forgotten how raw it feels compared to the Audis / anything modern.

2. She was not happy until a good 5 miles in - I guess pretty coked up from all that warming up in the driveway business. I was only decoking it officer!

3. It reminded of SOOO many jobs to do I closed the garage door on in the last year! It never ends :p

A WORD OF WARNING:

I’ve had this a couple of times when I haven’t driven the car for some time. Pulling out of the petrol station (0.5 mile away), the rear wheels were spinning away without me booting it. I imagine a surface layer of rubber had gone off and needed peeling off to get to the grippy stuff - officer!

Oh and I have slightly lighter head due to fumes coming in on the boot rubber I have dislodged :p
Are you sure the wheelspin wasn't diesel on the ground.

Also old cars do need to get warm before the mixture is good. Had you forgotten that ha ha?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Are you sure the wheelspin wasn't diesel on the ground.

Also old cars do need to get warm before the mixture is good. Had you forgotten that ha ha?
It could have been but I felt it twitch pulling out of a junction before the peterol station.

Ha!! I did warm it up for 5 mins on the drive but I suspect you’re right - it probably needed a bit more time.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Moving on and on-topic......my son safely brought the Z33 home, the hydraulic car-lift was delivered and I collected the rotisserie - ready for that next import-project.

Last edited by a moderator:
a few days of flurry.

Stripped my dashes apart, one now goes in the bin
JpR0IVH.jpg

Loom removed and cleaned up ready for testing(dash loom)

iPsy28M.jpg

i3pLjaJ.jpg

Not too much tidying up needed
q18hbzd.jpg

I'll practice on the other one first.

Speedo and Tacho taken apart to be cleaned up

zJRMRvY.jpg

came out ok, however I think I need to remove the clear plastic to machine polish

QvWgYD2.jpg

The air guides were brown inside, so I popped all those in the sink for a scrub also.

Made a start on the pistons, just doing the inital prep. One of my favourite bits of an engine build.

slow work but satisfying. 3000 paper, I'll 'half' polish them.

HylT9I4.jpg

UnZrSO0.jpg

DOtQIHr.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Wow! Nice work Alpha male!!! This is exciting progress. I never had you down as a piston polisher - although I’m certain you’ve been called worst things, by many! :p

Are you polishing the plastic to make it clearer? If so, what is that machine polish you mention? I had never heard of it before and would love to do the same to plastics on my other cars - and the Z when I next take out the dials. Which may well be spring.

Final Q - will you be going LED bulbs in the dash so as to never visit that job again?

Ps. Don’t bin the dash, I guarantee it’s with something to someone on eBay!!!!!

Wow! Nice work Alpha male!!! This is exciting progress. I never had you down as a piston polisher - although I’m certain you’ve been called worst things, by many! :p

Are you polishing the plastic to make it clearer? If so, what is that machine polish you mention? I had never heard of it before and would love to do the same to plastics on my other cars - and the Z when I next take out the dials. Which may well be spring.

Final Q - will you be going LED bulbs in the dash so as to never visit that job again?

Ps. Don’t bin the dash, I guarantee it’s with something to someone on eBay!!!!!

Half piston polisher! Don’t want/need a mirror finish. Yes, polish to remove 50 years of fine scratches. I was just going to get one of the autoglym kits from Halfords or this

I’ll try led bulbs, but in a warm temperature. Not a fan of the ‘white-blue white’ cool temp ones.

One dash is scrap, beyond saving so bin material only

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Headlight plastic polishing. I recently noticed that the headlights on my daughters car were dull and yellow. She hadn't got much time so I polished them with Tcut. Amazing transformation in 10 minutes. The lights must have been 25% brighter afterwards and looked better too. So no fancy kit or machine needed.

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Half piston polisher! Don’t want/need a mirror finish. Yes, polish to remove 50 years of fine scratches. I was just going to get one of the autoglym kits from Halfords or this

I’ll try led bulbs, but in a warm temperature. Not a fan of the ‘white-blue white’ cool temp ones.

One dash is scrap, beyond saving so bin material only
Totally with you - I really don’t like that over green or overly white/blue light in a classic car. I’m heading that way myself at some point this year as I want to reduce current draw on the alt + get them a tiny bit brighter. I’ll probably add / make a voltage stabilised analogue circuit to dim using the quiescent curve rather than PWM as my eyes are very sensitive to seeing the flashes. Quite annoying for me sitting behind some early led brake lights!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Headlight plastic polishing. I recently noticed that the headlights on my daughters car were dull and yellow. She hadn't got much time so I polished them with Tcut. Amazing transformation in 10 minutes. They lights must have been 25% brighter afterwards and looked better too. So no fancy kit or nachine needed.
Did my friends’ cars with Farecla rubbing compound and another with Colgate - have to say the Colgate came out best and smelled minty to boot! :p

Headlight plastic polishing. I recently noticed that the headlights on my daughters car were dull and yellow. She hadn't got much time so I polished them with Tcut. Amazing transformation in 10 minutes. They lights must have been 25% brighter afterwards and looked better too. So no fancy kit or nachine needed.

Thats exactly what that £12 kit is, just a couple of cutting compounds and bits.