Electric Z at the NEC

Huw

Club Member
I’m sure it’s all been said before so let me add to the chorus:

For me, when I open the garage door, there is a REAL sense of occasion when I get “that” smell - oil, fuel and vinyl! Then when the engine comes to life there is a real excitement at the sound track before I’ve moved a millimetre. More than the speed and handling, the soul of a classic is the way the engine sounds, smells, throbs and gives its all to make rapid progress.

To me - and I make no apologies for saying this - electrifying classics is an absolute travesty.

But I can also see the environmental point when you see a steam train go by. However, much like classic cars there aren’t that many in daily operation, so the impact is minimal IMHO.

My monstrously quick 550lbft family wagon will eat the Z for breakfast but has that “operating the controls” feel about it as distinct from “driving the car” feel. So much less an electric. The teslas I’ve driven feel even more disconnected. Somehow electric cars feel like a roller coaster ride through VR goggles. Isn’t nostalgia and a step back down the sensory memory lane the whole point of driving a classic?

Or are we all just dinosaurs in our little classic pond in denial of the electric asteroid heading our way!? :p

</RANT>
Also Ali, the sound of the wonderful engine kinda masks the squeaks and rattles 40 plus year old cars inevitable will collect. Take that throbbing sound track away and you’re left with a collection of super irritating squeaks and rattles. Where’s the fun in that!

Last edited:

yellowz

Club Member
Someone must have come up with a synthesized soundtrack you can switch on to mimic the sound by now.........................

Ain't nothing like the real thing though :cool:

ALN

Club Member
Having owned a few classics, newer generation cars and highly modded cars.. I think it's all subjective (environmental concerns aside).

I completely agree with Mr.G, AliK and Huw - we own the cars we own because we love them for what they are... warts 'n all. That's what makes them special.

I'm not a purist, I have a V8 supercharged Z - but it puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it - so I am quite happy to stop at a filling station more often than not - but I only do about 2.5K miles a year, if that.

On the debate of should we put an electric motor in a classis- well take a look at a company call Lunaz - https://lunaz.design/philosophy/
A Silverstone based company that takes legacy classic cars and breathes new electric life into them.
Their mantra is to take a car that's endured for the last 50 years and further it's legacy for at least another 50 years.
This "Upcycling" of a beautiful classic somehow seems very relevant to me - of course they do it with magnificence - I've seen the cars and the workshop.

I'm optimistic and somehow think the forthcoming "Electric Asteroid" won't shift some of us out from our "Hydrocarbon Bubble"

Texasroadrunner

Club Member
And Ive yet to see a mainstream article explaining exactly how end of life batteries are recycled and at what cost, all we ever hear about is zero emissions the rest is conveniently left under the carpet!
Not a bad rant. The truth about battery manufacturing reveals that pollution is exported somewhere else. Clean and Green is false. Check out this short video. https://media.gab.com/system/media_attachments/files/115/500/584/playable/32b5b214530883ac.mp4
I admit my internal combustion bias up front. But I do own a battery powered hedge trimmer I really like.

AD240Z

Club Member
Having owned a few classics, newer generation cars and highly modded cars.. I think it's all subjective (environmental concerns aside).

I completely agree with Mr.G, AliK and Huw - we own the cars we own because we love them for what they are... warts 'n all. That's what makes them special.

I'm not a purist, I have a V8 supercharged Z - but it puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it - so I am quite happy to stop at a filling station more often than not - but I only do about 2.5K miles a year, if that.

On the debate of should we put an electric motor in a classis- well take a look at a company call Lunaz - https://lunaz.design/philosophy/
A Silverstone based company that takes legacy classic cars and breathes new electric life into them.
Their mantra is to take a car that's endured for the last 50 years and further it's legacy for at least another 50 years.
This "Upcycling" of a beautiful classic somehow seems very relevant to me - of course they do it with magnificence - I've seen the cars and the workshop.

I'm optimistic and somehow think the forthcoming "Electric Asteroid" won't shift some of us out from our "Hydrocarbon Bubble"

Just no. no.

DB6-by-Lunaz-1-2048x971.jpg

What kind of ar5sehole would do that to a DB6

1671036114807.png

Oh . I see .

AD240Z

Club Member
Here you go @AD240Z

Just what you have been looking for ;) - https://silodrome.com/honda-cub-electric-conversion-kit/

Deary me - nothing is sacred. Im off to drink some petrol ( if i can afford it - and something else you cant do with a battery )

Second thoughts - 'Due to the ubiquitous (and affordable) nature of the Honda Cub it was chosen as the chassis, and the eCub kit was developed to bolt on to the Cub, requiring less skill and patience than you need to assemble the average Ikea wardrobe.'

Ill pour the petrol on the wardrobe - light it, get warm , then pi55 off out in the Z .