Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

AD240Z

Club Member
37 bids from 12 bidders - 8 days to go.

Should be interesting to watch

I’m guessing the red z on the paper in the passenger seat is from when he bought it ?

000F4F09-8429-4792-82F9-77FC9DF69A57.jpeg

Last edited:

Mark N

Club Member
According to the blurb, "It runs and drives" but the seller can't be arsed backing it out of the garage to to get some decent photos that could better showcase its condition.
Do people not understand that a little bit of effort in the advert could spark a lot more interest?

uk66fastback

Club Member
It was in one of the auctions recently and featured in a thread on here, I’m sure. The blurb sounds familiar so it maybe didn’t sell. Yes, I wish sellers could be arsed to put in even a small amount of effort to try and sell ‘their great car’ …

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Pretty cheap that isn't it?
Not really, it is a typical HS30 project that needs restoration including fairly expensive bodywork.
Buyer back in August probably just realised the full extent/cost of the work required hence selling it on again.
£24-25k about the right money I would say but have the capability to carry out a lot of the work yourself or a large cheque book.

AD240Z

Club Member
It was in one of the auctions recently and featured in a thread on here, I’m sure. The blurb sounds familiar so it maybe didn’t sell. Yes, I wish sellers could be arsed to put in even a small amount of effort to try and sell ‘their great car’ …

And now i also remember ................ maybe this time it will be a real test of todays prices ;)

Robotsan

Club Member
Not really, it is a typical HS30 project that needs restoration including fairly expensive bodywork.
Buyer back in August probably just realised the full extent/cost of the work required hence selling it on again.
£24-25k about the right money I would say but have the capability to carry out a lot of the work yourself or a large cheque book.

Ah, didn't realise it needed so much work. It rings a bell now though.

I have neither the capability not the cheque book, which is why I bought my cheapo Californian 280z! :)

Robotsan

Club Member
And now i also remember ................ maybe this time it will be a real test of todays prices ;)

Ahh yes, *that* one. A patchwork quilt.

richiep

Club Member
When I first got into Zs in the early 2000s, this is what many cars that came to market were like - UK, older "restorations", reflective of the time and the values of the cars as they had been from the 80s on up. So, complete, usable, but with doubtlessly previous repairs and refinishing work done to a budget rather than getting the details right. Prices in the 4-8k range.

What that means today is that something like the car being discussed, while "okay" isn't going to live up to modern expectations of quality, and despite all the talk of 35k+ RHD UK cars, such a car's market value is going to be affected by the reality that bringing it up to standard means 20-30k (or possibly plenty more) lost in work if you can't do it yourself. I.e. you won't get your investment back, if that's a consideration.

Low 20Ks might be reasonable (IMO should be less considering the above), backed with a well-equipped garage, good skills... or strong cash reserve and/or large credit card limit!

uk66fastback

Club Member
So someone has bought it for £23,500 and is flipping it - or was going to do it themselves and has now realised the extent of the work needed, and hopes to get their money back?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
In interest of fair play, let's just remind any would be buyers of notes from the last MOT in 2007, prior to car being taken off the road.
  • ( UNDERSIDE OF VEHICLE VERY HEAVILY UNDERSEALED ))
  • EXTENSIVE WELDED REPAIRS ( SOME PLACES POORLY WELDED ) TO FLOORS SILLS + CHASSIS.
  • SOME AREAS HAVE SUSPECT REPAIRS BUT UNABLE TO BE CHECKED FULLY DUE TO HEAVY UNDERSEAL
I think the only negative mentioned in the advert is microblistering on the roof which may turn out to be the least of any buyer's worries!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
In interest of fair play, let's just remind any would be buyers of notes from the last MOT in 2007, prior to car being taken off the road.
  • ( UNDERSIDE OF VEHICLE VERY HEAVILY UNDERSEALED ))
  • EXTENSIVE WELDED REPAIRS ( SOME PLACES POORLY WELDED ) TO FLOORS SILLS + CHASSIS.
  • SOME AREAS HAVE SUSPECT REPAIRS BUT UNABLE TO BE CHECKED FULLY DUE TO HEAVY UNDERSEAL
I think the only negative mentioned in the advert is microblistering on the roof which may turn out to be the least of any buyer's worries!
I bought my first 240Z like that. It cost £3k and included a spare engine, diff and other stuff. It had a Granada radiator (I think) and 5 homemade security devices - who'd want to seal it? The engine was knackered etc etc.

I ran it for two years and then had the engine rebuilt/modified and I welded all the dodgy bits myself to make it roadworthy - took 4.5 years of hours of gas welding when my little kids were in bed! It cost me very very little to repair the body (in a fashion) - steel/filler/rattle cans.

It remains my favourite car of the 4 - masochist?