Oil starvation on bends.

Broughton

Club Member
Yep. To the top of the dipstick!
May have take sump off and have a look. Though can't imagine what I might find (loose strainer?)

Broughton

Club Member
I know so very little about these engines (never had one apart). Are there several different 'Z' engine sumps and is it possibly mine has the wrong one (having no tray or wrong tray)? Shall be grateful if someone will point me to an illustration of the 280ZX sump which clearly distinguishes the windage tray so that if I take the sump off I'll know what to look for?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
73082973_L28oilpaninside.jpg.e371186ea41593ee2aa98f775d398631.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Yep. To the top of the dipstick!
May have take sump off and have a look. Though can't imagine what I might find (loose strainer?)

You might want to check that you've got the correct dipstick for this model. Long shot, but I've seen it happen.

Very much doubt you've got the 'wrong' oil pan/sump. S130 280ZX oil pan 'well' position is specific to the model, and oil pan from a different (front sump vs rear sump) model would be a marginal fit.

Quite possible that the pick-up/strainer is loose or detached. Seen that happen too, although the flange is pretty high so you'd need a LOT of oil in the sump to compensate in normal running.

I'd take the oil pan off for a look-see if I were you.

Broughton

Club Member
Thanks. That's great.
You might want to check that you've got the correct dipstick for this model. Long shot, but I've seen it happen.

Very much doubt you've got the 'wrong' oil pan/sump. S130 280ZX oil pan 'well' position is specific to the model, and oil pan from a different (front sump vs rear sump) model would be a marginal fit.

Quite possible that the pick-up/strainer is loose or detached. Seen that happen too, although the flange is pretty high so you'd need a LOT of oil in the sump to compensate in normal running.

I'd take the oil pan off for a look-see if I were you.
This all good stuff and much appreciated.
Oil change took best part of 4.5 Ls to top of dipstick so probably correct dipstick.
Will do as suggested and take a "look-see" (when time allows!).

Huw

Club Member
Might be a daft suggestion. Have you checked the wiring on the oil pressure sender or swapped the sender for another unit to see if you have the same symptoms? Just to check, as taking the pan off in car is a pain in the ass at the best of times.

Broughton

Club Member
Might be a daft suggestion. Have you checked the wiring on the oil pressure sender or swapped the sender for another unit to see if you have the same symptoms? Just to check, as taking the pan off in car is a pain in the ass at the best of times.
Now there's an interesting thought. Loose connection or duff sender? Certainly worth following up.

johnymd

Club Member
I was going to say your tires are too sticky and your driving way too fast but even then you will struggle to get oil starvation, although possible. Maybe the pickup tube was damaged during a rebuild when the sump was fitted. Or the pickup tube is damaged/cracked.

Broughton

Club Member
I have an old 280ZX sender I know worked, if you want to try it.
Very kind of you to offer Huw. Just discovered my oil gauge ain't 'lectric, it's hydraulic! Oddball car. Probably drop the sump for look-see.

Last edited: