Nice early 240Z (LHD) at NEC Auction

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
My news feeds have had a lot 'Record Price!' type reports from the NEC auction, with the main focus being on rare homologation models, limited production models and/or top, top condition examples. The prospect of a 'Barn Find' also still seems popular.

I'd say that any drop in prices/values will be in the also-ran categories, 'grey porridge' cars and cars that are not in a condition that warrants their asking prices/reserves.
So, the investors are going for 'sure-things'.

And since we don't class most Zs in the 'porridge' class.....their prices are holding ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
So, the investors are going for 'sure-things'.

"Investors"? I've no doubt that some people who are buying cars are doing so as an investment, but I would not say it was all of them.

And since we don't class most Zs in the 'porridge' class.....their prices are holding ?

Note the bolded part:

I'd say that any drop in prices/values will be in the also-ran categories, 'grey porridge' cars and cars that are not in a condition that warrants their asking prices/reserves.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
"Investors"? I've no doubt that some people who are buying cars are doing so as an investment, but I would not say it was all of them.

Note the bolded part:
The big money always goes on the 'safe', known marques, concours condition and rarities......I'll bet that most if not all those cars sold were as investments - safer than houses and capital gains free !

Of course the dross drop in values - look at this one, on sale as a flip for years after having been bought here in France for €11k :https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13372791...NGRsbBDdxyqh7L3NUSLQ8uQeQ=|tkp:Bk9SR-SN25iQYQ

with it's BS FIA racing passport :EXTRAlol:

uk66fastback

Club Member
That LWB Mk1 Tranny at the back there made £61k with fees_ that IS mad (to me). Not far from me in King’s Lynn, and held every few months, there’s a classic auction which has the ‘grey porridge’ cars - Morris Minors, Minis, MG Midgets, Land Rovers, Capris etc. they make decent money for what they are but they’d never appear at the NEC (unless remarkable examples) … and vice versa. The Norfolk Badlands are not the place to auction a zero miles XJS (as seen at the NEC).

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Not my type of thing really but this is where the money is going at moment... sold at £78k

Yes I think the younger guys are looking for cars of their era with turbos and no carburetors or points. The cars can also be used daily and stand outside.

Our cars have usually had major bodywork done and good ones are hard to find.

Last edited:

Geoff-R

Club Member
Yes I think the younger guys are looking for cars of their era with turbos and no carburetors or points. The cars can also be used daily and stand outside.

Our cars have usually had major bodywork done and good ones are to find.

I wouldn't want to leave an Evo outside, the rust and they rust good!

I just think it's a natural progression in the market, people who lusted after cars when they were new and couldn't afford them or afford to insure them now find that they can 10, 15, 20 years down the line. I also don't think it's strictly true everyone who buys a car, buys it as an investment, on one hand some people get in at the right time and the market takes off, on the other hand I do believe there is a minority who buy as investments, certainly the upper end of the market.

atomman

Club Member
I looked at the Fords and some of them went for strong money , like the Cossie,

I should of brought that Evo 6 I test drove for 5k... it was in 2006 though, but I have always preferred Subaru's to be honest

I agree with Geoff I think the kids grew up with cars on Gran Turismo and now have the money to be able to buy them, goes in waves with age/cars

Last edited:

uk66fastback

Club Member
They’re so dull to look at though. I’d be hard pushed to tell one from a modern Mondeo through a net curtain … not my thing I’ll admit.

status

Well-Known Forum User
If you’ve a low mileage Zed or Scooby ,Evo then best place to sell is at an auction,ive got two low mileage scoobies a jDM and a uk sti ppp and they are going for stupid money if like mine are low mileage cars,didn’t think for one minute that they would go up this quick in valuation but As the Skylines are now going for serious money then people turn to what some might think is the next best thing,and then there is my Zed is that the best place to sell a Z ?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
If you want to sell your Z I would use an online auction such as carandclassic, see the advert Evo above.
Take lots of high quality nice photos, undersides, close-ups etc
You get to set a reserve so you know you are going to be reasonably happy if bid to that price.
If it doesn't sell, follow it up with a traditional advert that you can run for a month or so until it sells, drop the price if no initial interest etc

Live auctions are too much of a risk with too many variables out of your control as seen at the NEC with the HLS30 subject of this thread. The auctioneer started the bidding on that car at £5k? Why? No other cars going through that I watched had a starting bid so low compared to the true value/where ended up. Should have been £15k at least, even off the wall to start the bidding off.

That car was worth £50k all day long yet the seller will have got less than £30k in his pocket!
The buyer in Switzerland got an absolute bargain.

There are international online auctions that cover Europe - collectingcars.com is one I know of and that car would probably have done much better on there. BAT in the States (not sure if their European venture ever took off) is another option but hindsight and all that....

I don't think I've ever seen a US origin lhd Z fetch decent money at a traditional classic car auction in the UK. Pre-online auction days, many years ago I sold a couple of HLS30's at different auctions (one also a super nice original early 1970 model at the first ever Silverstone NEC auction) and although both sold, they struggled to reach the low reserve set and left me wishing I hadn't bothered.

Rhd UK cars tend to fetch better money at traditional UK auctions so not a definite no-no if you choose the auction carefully but why take the risk and hassle involved when better and cheaper alternatives now available.