Nice early 240Z (LHD) at NEC Auction

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The Japanese market saw a lot of parallel-import new LHD European cars in the 70s boom and 80s/90s ....................... and the official importers even started to allow Japanese customers to order LHD specced cars. They became so common that infrastructure (LHD toll booths, drive-thrus etc) started to be built for them.

Japanese economy has been stagnant for a while and there's plenty of Zs washing around as people economise and their ownership demographic gets older (forcing them to give up driving).
Interesting insight Alan, thx.

For toll-booths, why not simply have auto-paying badges ?

So, 'cheap' Z prices ?

SacCyclone

Club Member
My Cali perspective on the Z market-

Seems that the prices on USA spec 240 and 280's have softened a bit over the last 6 months for nice quality cars (BAT etc).
The sub $20k market ( Facebook Market and Craigslist) seems to be holding their value or at least the listing price has.....The quality of these cars (sub $20K) is mostly questionable and I don't think many are really selling but instead being re-listed.

The ZX cars (79-83) are really coming out to the market as they are affordable compared to early cars. The asking prices are much higher than a year ago but I don't see a lot of enthusiasm for them at the local C&C events.

Another huge factor for Zeds in the states is the ability to engine modify pre 1976 cars without having to pass smog requirements every other year.....not all states have the smog requirements but some like Cali do. Even if your factory stock ZX passes a smog test this year does not mean that it will pass again in 2 years give the older electronics and sensors.

If a newer (1976+) performance Subi, BMW, or Porsche is in your garage you have to be content with factory performance figures or pay a high price for smog compliant performance engine upgrades only to be arguing with SMOG shop employees about their legality.

RHD Zeds are very rare to see here in the states and carry a high premium against LHD cars of similar condition.

Mike

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
For toll-booths, why not simply have auto-paying badges ?

I was referring to the 'Bubble Economy' years of the mid-80s to early 90s.

By all means use your Time Travelling phonebox and pop back to invent today's connectivity to the world as it was 30+ years ago.

Meanwhile, day to day in Japan I was having my train tickets hand punched, and my Expressway toll tickets handed over from a booth - for cash - by a guy in a uniform. This was pre internet/WWW.

So, 'cheap' Z prices ?

?

Yep, maybe I'm missing something but you're going deep into Smith and Keynes over classic car purchases.....when these are great money placements, no gains tax !

And as we've said about 40000000 times in this thread, prices are down, seem to be dropping. However under that rock, I'm sure its all gravy.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Japanese economy has been stagnant for a while and there's plenty of Zs washing around as people economise and their ownership demographic gets older (forcing them to give up driving).
Less demand, more cars so.......cheap Zs ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
My Cali perspective on the Z market-

Seems that the prices on USA spec 240 and 280's have softened a bit over the last 6 months for nice quality cars (BAT etc).
The sub $20k market ( Facebook Market and Craigslist) seems to be holding their value or at least the listing price has.....The quality of these cars (sub $20K) is mostly questionable and I don't think many are really selling but instead being re-listed.

The ZX cars (79-83) are really coming out to the market as they are affordable compared to early cars. The asking prices are much higher than a year ago

and watch this one : https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-87/

agreed 280ZX asking prices have leapt up....perhaps only special and turbo versions selling above $20k ?

uk66fastback

Club Member
I saw the DCW car at the NEC today albeit from the other side of the fence - being too tight to stump up the money for the catalogue.

It looked nigh on bloody immaculate from where I stood close up. As I have one in the same colour, my mate asked if it was better than mine - ”Errr, yes, in every department”, was the reply. Can’t speak for the general prices at the auction as I didn’t really pay attention when I was over at that part of the hall, but looking at the prices being asked by the classic dealers there, every car I saw bar about a handful, were overpriced. Some of the money being asked was just plain daft. A concours (more or less) Jag MkII in red was gorgeous, but £99,950 - really?

532A8EAC-F9C6-4AE4-85E1-52A833B8C37B.jpeg
C4769CFC-0474-4787-AF92-17CC03FE45CE.jpeg

OK, modern breadvan, the family man's Ferrari, much more realistic and definitely coming down to 5 figures.
I've been looking at 599's with a similar view but can't get past the F1 box at moment. Flappy paddles just don't do it......
599 is dct… still need to come down a bit more!

Rushingphil

Club Member
"RHD Zeds are very rare to see here in the states and carry a high premium against LHD cars of similar condition."

Hi Mike,

I don't understand why that would be the case? Any ideas?

SacCyclone

Club Member
"RHD Zeds are very rare to see here in the states and carry a high premium against LHD cars of similar condition."

Hi Mike,

I don't understand why that would be the case? Any ideas?
Sorry, I don't know why that is other than they are expensive there and then importing to the States may be a pain in the Arse?

Until recently, last 10 years maybe, not a big following for the Z cars and prices were fairly low by all accounts. Now that so many chaps are hunting them for collecting or profit, i would think there would be a high end market dollar chasing them if they were available. IMO

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Well I looked at the general results for the auction and I don't think low prices were a trend.
The prices for late 90s/mid00s Japanese performance cars were very strong and show where the market is going.

My news feeds have had a lot 'Record Price!' type reports from the NEC auction, with the main focus being on rare homologation models, limited production models and/or top, top condition examples. The prospect of a 'Barn Find' also still seems popular.

I'd say that any drop in prices/values will be in the also-ran categories, 'grey porridge' cars and cars that are not in a condition that warrants their asking prices/reserves.