What did you do to your Z this week?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Not 'this week' (it was a couple of weeks ago...) but having done most of the fitting-up on the LH side of the project 4/70 HLS30U, I dragged it out of the garage on the dolly, spun it around 180 degrees and put it back in again.

I only have enough space to work on one side at a time...

Spin turn-1.jpgSpun-1.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The 'hatch' fit is amazing.

Thanks, although I can't take credit for that.

You may recall that it is fibreglass, manufactured by Marugen Shōkai in Japan, and fitted/painted by Fourways Engineering. Needed a little fettling to get the OEM hinges to work nicely with it (the mounts are very dainty) and I am using a de-gassed strut to prop it (with an R-pin) so that it doesn't have the lop-sidedness that a fully gassed strut would give when closed.

The rear 'glass' is shaped acrylic. Whole thing is very light. The doors are Marugen fibreglass items too. Fitting them up with proper roll-up (acrylic) windows and all the usual door furniture also takes a lot of fettling and has been very time consuming.

yellowz

Club Member
Thanks Albrecht. I did read just not had time to reply. From my time in France long time ago using taxis, plates were pop riveted onto cars because the panel or the car were never going to last that long!

Was hoping that was not the idea behind the plate on the panel in your car and doubt very much that will be the case!

arcdef

Club Member
Very nice! Also does your car have no underseal on it? Is it just coated with a wax or something?
Thanks. Yeah it has factory underseal on it painted body colour. The black sections are where it scraped on some speed bumps so I cleaned it and applied Dinitrol underseal before had a chance to rust. Just need to repaint it red!

Robotsan

Club Member
Thanks. Yeah it has factory underseal on it painted body colour. The black sections are where it scraped on some speed bumps so I cleaned it and applied Dinitrol underseal before had a chance to rust. Just need to repaint it red!

Ah yeah I can see it when I zoom in!
Also, that exhaust.. can't help noticing a pipe coming from the other side of the gearbox too.. what's going on here then?!

arcdef

Club Member
Bought this 260/280z non Aircon heater box & controls a while ago but am having a hard time figuring out how to connect the two (don't have one for reference and the factory manual is vague to say the least!) I am pretty sure I'm missing some parts as the cables don't have a way of connecting the levers or the pull when the arms should be pushed etc. Would appreciate any images of similar boxes or guidance on what I'm missing/how to connect up. Also should the box and control panel join or do the mount in car separately?

The controls below are labeled and move as follows:

1) seems to be for a fresh air door? Only moves when moving from "off" to vent

2) seems to be for the lower flaps but can't see how to connect to lever

3) for the hot water valve but again not sure how it should connect

4) moves when selecting defrost but no cable and again not sure how it connects to the rod that moves the inner flap

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

PXL_20221016_154158268.jpgPXL_20221016_154148309.jpgPXL_20221016_154140597.jpgPXL_20221016_154130050.jpgPXL_20221016_154124155.jpgPXL_20221016_154225859~2.jpg

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Bought this 260/280z non Aircon heater box & controls a while ago but am having a hard time figuring out how to connect the two (don't have one for reference and the factory manual is vague to say the least!) I am pretty sure I'm missing some parts as the cables don't have a way of connecting the levers or the pull when the arms should be pushed etc. Would appreciate any images of similar boxes or guidance on what I'm missing/how to connect up. Also should the box and control panel join or do the mount in car separately?

The controls below are labeled and move as follows:

1) seems to be for a fresh air door? Only moves when moving from "off" to vent

2) seems to be for the lower flaps but can't see how to connect to lever

3) for the hot water valve but again not sure how it should connect

4) moves when selecting defrost but no cable and again not sure how it connects to the rod that moves the inner flap

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

View attachment 54049View attachment 54050View attachment 54051View attachment 54052View attachment 5405
Im not convinced you haven’t got a mis match .
On 240z heater boxes the loop end of each cable goes over a metal post on each arm.
The long cable goes to the fresh air/ recirc flap on the heater motor
Try and see if the left cable loop end will clip over the white plastic arm end if it does you new a metal clip like the one you have on the heater valve side to retain the outer cable
Your heater i think should be connected with the cable you have marked ? the inner cable should have a step in it to feed into the hole in the arm
The other right hand cable should have a step in the inner cable to go in the hole in the flap arm and the outer is retained by a bracket which isnt in your photo
hope some of that makes sense lol

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
Well been searching For RHD 240z was considering a 260z finally :)

But a forum member that none had this 72 Fairlady Z for sale :)

Well I left a deposit on her and buying her got plenty of spares get her back on the road

L20 engine in that's coming out for a l28

Attachments

• IMG-20221018-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20221018-WA0009.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20221018-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20221018-WA0006.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 48