Clutch was gone spongy, now gone...

Ped

Club Member
Went to a local show today in the zed and the clutch pedal was really spongy. It has been getting worse for some time. Only the last inch or so does anything. It really didn't want to go in reverse.

Got home and decided to bleed through the fluid with new, as it must have gone off.

Got the missus to press the pedal as I opened the bleed nipple. She held it down until I had closed it, but on the second go it went all the way to the floor!

Now I can't bleed it, it not really doing anything. Plenty of fuid in the reservoir, no leaks and was all replaced new, including the slave about 6 years ago.

Of course we had a massive downpour when I was doing this, so got soaked. Now the car is stuck on the drive.

Was going to buy a Gunson Eezibleed and see it that would sort it. Any thoughts?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I don't think an easibleed will solve the problem tbh. Is there any movement at the slave/clutch fork? is the linkage still connected to the pedal?

Ped

Club Member
I will have a look tomorrow to see if the linkage has come off. I gave up in a bad mood after getting soaked... a typical 'it will only take a few minutes' job.

Huw

Club Member
I think your clutch master cylinder has packed up. Probably an internal seal if it isn’t leaking anywhere externally and not moving the slave

Ped

Club Member
You might be right. I will check the pedal return spring and the adjustment rod first. I still have my old master cylinder which was working when removed, could swap that out at a push. Don't want to leave the motor on the drive too long.

Ped

Club Member
Sorted it out. I ended up sawpping out the master cylinder for the spare I had. All bled though ok after a bit of effort. Got my son to do the pedal pressing. The old fluid was black!

Faster Behr

Club Member
Be prepared for the slave cylinder to die shortly. They don’t tend to like the vigour of a youthful master cylinder!

Ped

Club Member
Both slave and master cylinders were replaced with new 6 years ago. I have just refitted the old master cylinder which I had removed way back then. Was going to buy the one Huw posted, but it's ended! I guess someone beat me to it? :rolleyes:

Will have a look and pick up another master cylinder... 'just in case', they are cheap enough. Will monitor the used one.

Faster Behr

Club Member
I go through brake master cylinders on my 2002 every few years. It drives me potty. The sodding thing leaks onto my footwell carpet every time.

Ped

Club Member
Anyone used the SAMKO Automotive brand items? There are a few Master Cylinders on ebay, just wondered if they were decent?

Huw

Club Member
Don’t know the make, but I’ve had issue with the cheaper slave units that have alloy rather than cast iron bodies. I’ve had two fail where the piston has dug into the cylinder body at an angle. E16B7634-636D-4B83-A061-5BCAFC687C1C.jpeg

Ped

Club Member
Ordered up the SAMKO one from ebay. Will post some pics of it when it arrives. Better having a spare to hand, just in case.

Ped

Club Member
So the old Nabco spare master cylinder I had put on the car temporarily, seemed to be failing, it was difficult to engage reverse. Since I had the new Samco one decided to swap it out. I had bought an easy bleed kit for the last time round but couldn't use it due the the fittings. This time it fitted the Samko one which made life a lot easier. All sorted.

Put a new high flow engine bay fuel filter on to replace the old one even though there is a pre filter at the tank end. It had been on there for years and was full of rust!

20220917_142909.jpg20220917_142757.jpg