What did you do to your Z this week?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Ah ok! Is it an isocyanate-free variety? And is that it wet in the photo I assume?
yes - it's wet in the photo. I think it is probably isocyante, but I used a brush rather than a spray gun. The big problems come with the mist from a spray gun.

Robotsan

Club Member
yes - it's wet in the photo. I think it is probably isocyante, but I used a brush rather than a spray gun. The big problems come with the mist from a spray gun.

Ahh ok, that makes sense.

So did you have to take it all back to bare shiny metal, to make sure there was no rust left at all before applying? If the floors were even rusty that is of course.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Ahh ok, that makes sense.

So did you have to take it all back to bare shiny metal, to make sure there was no rust left at all before applying? If the floors were even rusty that is of course.
yes, stripped all the bitumen stuff out and cut out 5 or 6 patches where it was holed or very thinned and replaced.

atomman

Club Member
Please explain about the Quaife.

It's a Subaru 4.44 R180 Quiafe Helical LSD I fitted last winter instead of the 4.11 plated LSD ,

A bit quieter, uses normal hypoid and doesn't need adjusting/servicing, also less braking effect when you let off the throttle, Seems a lot quicker and still does 70 on the motorway at just under 4k in 5th and pulls like a train through the gears.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I heard that heat just melts it and makes it stretchy and sticky though? Seen people use dry ice and it just cracks off, so was wondering :)
I mainly used a wood chisel. Then a plastic stripping disc on the reluctant bits. Then white spirit on the smears.

yellowz

Club Member
I heard that heat just melts it and makes it stretchy and sticky though? Seen people use dry ice and it just cracks off, so was wondering :)
I didn't get it hot enough to melt, just loosen off and scrape off big chunks. Drank lots of Coke...................... Read an article where someone used dry ice, sounded good.

Pondo

Club Member
Been a bit flat out and meant to post this sooner………did a run over to Fourways at the weekend for their cars and coffee morning. I was really impressed, I never saw the old premises but the new site looks incredibly well equipped and was great to see the stuff they’ve been working on.

Shame they aren’t a little closer but I’ll certainly be calling on them in the future. My Speedo drive seal has been leaking and coming up the Speedo cable and dripping on my foot which I had forgotten about after Le Mans, picked one up from Fourways so just got to get on and fit it now.

Mr.G

Club Member
I had a visitor this afternoon, non other than Ian from the forum who kindly came round to help me cc the piston volume while dismantling my spare engine.

Attachments

• 20220909_182055.jpg
    20220909_182055.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 40

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Spent some of today sorting through all my Z spares, came across these - anyone here have any idea what they’re for?

1443745D-BB37-48D0-B47E-19B28D5C0BD8.jpeg