New 1973 240Z owner-full restoration

Healey 12

Club Member
Hi
is that the car from California connections ? I would start work on registering with DVLA as I don't think it had a title.
everyone on here has helped me loads so you are in the right place.
David

Preecey240Z

Club Member
Hi
is that the car from California connections ? I would start work on registering with DVLA as I don't think it had a title.
everyone on here has helped me loads so you are in the right place.
David
Indeed it is and it does now have a nova title but has not yet been registered.

Last edited:

Healey 12

Club Member
Sorry and meant to say hello and welcome. What is your plans for the car resto / race , concourse you have so many options with that car .

Preecey240Z

Club Member
Sorry and meant to say hello and welcome. What is your plans for the car resto / race , concourse you have so many options with that car .
As the car is not in the best of condition I will be doing a resto-mod going for the Japanese wide-body look with a basic stripped (race car) interior.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Yes, I project managed the build with the body shop, my local classic car garage and the restorer in Devon who did most of that build and rebuilt the engine after being in a crate for 40 years

Preecey240Z

Club Member
Yes, I project managed the build with the body shop, my local classic car garage and the restorer in Devon who did most of that build and rebuilt the engine after being in a crate for 40 years
Ah nice, my project will be self built with help from a few friends

DaveF

Club Member
Nice job Kieron, looks really clean. Did you do a full restoration on the interior too?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
As the car is not in the best of condition I will be doing a resto-mod going for the Japanese wide-body look with a basic stripped (race car) interior.
Looks much better than the majority of cars I’ve seen. Lovely shell. If the rear arches are original I would begrudge cutting them…! Though if you’d have asked me 10 years ago I’d have already cut them out ha.

I’ve got quite a bit you may need, drop me a pm if you like.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Nice job Kieron, looks really clean. Did you do a full restoration on the interior too?
Came with its original dashboard and trim however given the quality level I was aiming to achieve its had new NOS door cards, new kick boards, vinyl trim, carpets, mats, refurb seats, sill plates etc …. So yes it looks brand new as per all other parts of the car with exception of matching numbers engine and transmission.
It’s not been cheap but feel it has been worth it
Just waiting for rolling road test and few other tweaks before I get it back …. In time for winter and storage 😫😫

richiep

Club Member
Looks much better than the majority of cars I’ve seen. Lovely shell. If the rear arches are original I would begrudge cutting them…! Though if you’d have asked me 10 years ago I’d have already cut them out ha.

I’ve got quite a bit you may need, drop me a pm if you like.
Speaking as someone who has already cut arches on my project car, I'm with Dan on this! If the rear arches are in good condition, I'd think hard about going that route, and if you do, do the neatest job you can do. Too many trimmed arches look positively "agricultural" in quality IMO. Yes, you can't see them when the overfenders are on, but it acts as an indicator of resto/mod quality to me. I took excessive care when I did them - see the Project Dixie build thread for the outcome!

The other aspect is that the overfender look is a fad and has led to a lot of tacky looking cars in the Internet era that are only a vague pastiche of JDM. The original lines will have more enduring value and demand in the long run. Be aware of that and reconcile whether that matters to you or not.

It'll be good to see how you get on and people here can offer a lot of help to get you over the line. So good luck! :)

DaveF

Club Member
Came with its original dashboard and trim however given the quality level I was aiming to achieve its had new NOS door cards, new kick boards, vinyl trim, carpets, mats, refurb seats, sill plates etc …. So yes it looks brand new as per all other parts of the car with exception of matching numbers engine and transmission.
It’s not been cheap but feel it has been worth it
Just waiting for rolling road test and few other tweaks before I get it back …. In time for winter and storage 😫😫
You're thinking along the same lines as me - I've done the exterior this year, so just the interior and a few mechanicals to do next (after the winter lockdown!!)